The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2006, 10:43 PM   #1
BP68

How long did it take you to build you truck?

Hey all,
I was just getting discouraged on my 68 build. It seems like it is taking forever. Going on 4 years 7 months, planned to be finished this December 06.
Still no body on frame, but getting close, and should see paint on firewall in the next couple of weeks.

I was just wondering how long it took some of y'all to finish yours.
Pls include a before and after pic if you have time.

Thanks

My build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=269999
BP68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:57 PM   #2
jmking9

Re: How long did it take you to build you truck?

I know what youre going through. Ive been working on my 72 for what seems like an eternity (3 years)It would go so much faster if these weren't all these incoveniences like work, wife, etc getting all my time instead of the truck. But Ive been making good progress recently. So dont give up i think the majority of us are in the same boat.
jmking9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:13 PM   #3
71SWBChevy
Post Whore

Going on a year and a half and just have a rolling frame, you can check out the link in my sig if you want. I am hoping to be finishing up this time next year but that is probably a little optimistic.

'71 Chevy 350/TH350 Hugger Orange
Currently just a rolling frame, body work soon to follow!!!
Check out my Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=212927

Daily Driver: 1997 Chevrolet S-10 with more gears than pistons
71SWBChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:36 PM   #4
RSRXION

2 years invested in my Mach 1 that you see in my avatar. I paid a professional to do the ground up rotisserie resto. Much of my time was spent trying to find just the right parts for the build. Don't give up, don't half ass it and don't get in a hurry. It'll be worth it in the end. Good luck !
Old 10-11-2006, 11:53 PM   #5
HuggerCST

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP68 View Post
Hey all,
I was just getting discouraged on my 68 build. It seems like it is taking forever. Going on 4 years 7 months, planned to be finished this December 06.
Still no body on frame, but getting close, and should see paint on firewall in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks
The world may never know! I started on mine 6 years ago, made some progress, (engine, suspension, cab), but money and time held me up. I've been collecting parts and working on it whenever I can, and finally have 99% of the parts, and some time to work on it. My goal now is spring/summer of '07. I read somewhere that the average is four years for people that do their own restorations.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com

Last edited by HuggerCST; 10-11-2006 at 11:58 PM.
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:55 PM   #6
trkklr77
Account Suspended

Location: vacaville ca, because it as far from indy as i can be

im 2 months in and almost done. but im easy to please and not after any thing nice or extreme, it looks like hell and will look like hell for a long time, but it will go fast and will all blur together anyways.

all i have left now is
rear axle,
drive shaft,
update wiring for hei and newer alt,

the rest is just nit picky crap.
trkklr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:08 AM   #7
al's71gmc
4 eyed fever

We spent about 3 years on my son's truck, but most of the work was done in the last 4 months. I got a chunk of $$ to buy most everything we needed and then we spent ALOT of time working on it. My paint/body guy turned it out in 3 1/2 weeks, so that helped. We had the $$, the time, people helping, and great tech support from this site. Keep after it, and post progress pics. Set reasonable goals and timelines for yourself. Best of luck to you. It will be worth the wait!!
Attached Images

1972 GMC Sierra Grande 1/2 t 4x4-#1 son's truck. Recently completed resto.

4 YO daughter," Daddy, I like your truck better than Mom's." (2000 F350-ranch truck) Smart kid!!

Last edited by al's71gmc; 10-12-2006 at 12:17 AM.
al's71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:41 AM   #8
nandress

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP68 View Post
Hey all,

Thanks
Never, ever get discouraged!!!! Keep in mind, the journey is half the fun for some of these projects. Yes, at times it seems like nothing is happening and you will never see the end of the tunnel. But I guarantee, you will never kick yourself when it is finished...you will always regret giving up on it!

If your current goal isn't attainable, reassess the situation and set a new goal. My dad and I wanted to start our engine for the first time last weekend, but realized that we would be taking a short cut on plumbing if we did and decided that it would be better to wait a couple more weeks. In your case, if you don't finish your project this year, by late next year you can give your truck its 40th birthday present in style!!

Oh, and in my case: I got my driver's license in 1990 and got to thinking about what we could fix on the truck each time we did an oil change. In 1992, the bed came off and the project started in earnest. Count those years, and you will see that I have never given up. My dad is the most impatient person who has been consistently discouraged with our pace all this time, yet in December we will be damn near finished. And that is the happiest thing to realize.
nandress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:47 AM   #9
67chevy2wd

I wouldn't worry about having a planned time to have it done because I have found out you can't meat it doing it yourself. I got my 69 in the fall of 04 and only almost have the rust fixed. I thought it would be done by now 8 month ago LOL. I lost interest for a whole 7 days off and that hurt big time, and then you take into account all the time I helped around the farm I didn't have as much time to work on it as I thought. Now it is cold out so I am done until spring . It has been fun and I just keep dreaming about the day it will be done and the heads I will turn
'71 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4
‘71 GMC 1/2 ton 2wd suburban

Last edited by 67chevy2wd; 10-12-2006 at 12:48 AM.
67chevy2wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:54 AM   #10
abadsvt

I have a question for everyone who has taken more than 1 year to build. How often did you or have you worked on your truck? Has there been a big delay trying to scrape up the money to buy the parts you need to advance? Or have you been working on it a couple times a week and at least 1 day on the weekend? Just curious.

Josh
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:05 AM   #11
nandress

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadsvt View Post
I have a question for everyone who has taken more than 1 year to build. How often did you or have you worked on your truck? Has there been a big delay trying to scrape up the money to buy the parts you need to advance? Or have you been working on it a couple times a week and at least 1 day on the weekend? Just curious.

Josh
Are you kidding...at least 1 day on the weekend??

You should mean at least once a month!!!! It may sound nuts, but sometimes you have to step away from your project for a while to clear your head!! And saving up to buy a part is a fact of life, my friend!! But if you feel you must always be accomplishing something, spend a little time sitting on a stool looking at it, and you will feel much better!!
nandress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:23 AM   #12
wibilly

mine would have only taken a few monthsif i never found this site. i planed on just making it safe and dependable and look decent but!!! now has 4 wheel discs ,40 gal sub. fuel tank ,van tilt tach dash all new seal bearings gaskets all front end parts, new two tone paint the list goes on and on. i'm closing in on 1 year with no work on it for the last two months. time to gather more marbles. i tilll have two months workand thats treating it like a job working on it 60 hours a week i have gathered some parts needed for three more trucks cause one truch wont serve all my needs 4 probably won't eather cause now i'm hooked
Old 10-12-2006, 08:40 AM   #13
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I bought my truck in September 1996. So a good 10 years Drove it the way you see it for a long time. Started a mild "at home" rebuild in Feb. of this year. Here's where it's at as of 2 weeks ago.
Attached Images

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:54 AM   #14
sleepyboy
'69 Step

Going on 3 years..hoping to be done in a year. New motor,trans, read end 5 bolt posi, tilt column, door solenoids, digital dash, lowered, exhaust, 1 peice windows..NEEDS paint next...
sleepyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:23 AM   #15
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

4 months,$7000.00,three trucks, every day from 4pm til 10 pm, all day on weekends. Bought most of the parts at once,drove to SC for another truck to use the bed, had a lot of help. My dad did the bodywork,his work did the paint, I did the disassembly and re assembly with some help from friends and family. And of course, it would not have been at all possible without the help and support of my wife. She took care of my 4 children and the household stuff while I played in the garage.
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board

Last edited by centsless; 10-04-2007 at 08:52 PM.
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:59 AM   #16
weasle

Hang in there. We all know what you're going through.
weasle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:12 AM   #17
lpaine

Well, I'm hoping to get my swb 68 done by my 50th birthday (I'm 44 now) and right now it's just a collection of parts. Hang in there, remember it's like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.
lpaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:35 AM   #18
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

It took me 7 years to go from this, (not running when I got it)

to this, (and I still don't have the interior done)

Just ahng in there and break the truck project down into many small goals/Tasks, and list those task on the wall, and just try to do one or two tasks at a time....
Old 10-12-2006, 12:37 PM   #19
speedracer
Blank

My vette took 2 years to go from frame to show winner. And my truck will be 10 years and counting on Nov 5th

1969 lwb 4/6 drop 17x8-18x10 torque thrust II's 327-420hp 2004R 3.73 posi.
1977 Corvette 350-375hp 4speed, silver show car.
2002 S10 xtreme, work truck
2004.5 VW jetta GLI 1.8T 6speed, weekend warrior.
2013 Audi A3 TDI, the wife's car
speedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:52 PM   #20
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Here is before and after.

I'm still not done yet, still little things to do, one being designing and having a front bumper built.

Once I got into tearing the truck down for a BBC swap and then completely tearing the truck down, it took me about 3 years to get it to where it is now. Unfortunately I rarely get to work on my truck for more than an hour or two. I usually get out to the shop only after the kids are asleep and house stuff is done. When I'm deep in a project I might get out 3 times a week but there are often times when weeks go by without being able to pick up a wrench. When you are doing a big project, that makes them take forever!

I don't try to make a schudule cause that just causes frustration. These truck projects have definitely taught me to be patient!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:20 PM   #21
john
member #16

I took one year from start to finish. The cab was the only thing I didnt remove. The transmission was the only part that wasnt gone through.
Attached Images

john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:20 PM   #22
bryanw1968

Don't sweat it. People do projects in different time frames. That's just the way it is. I know people that will get something and not drive it til it's done. I on the other hand have been driving a working project for over 6 years. I never seem to have $10,000 and 6 months straight lying around so I just do a little here and there when I have the time and money. Plus, you might get bored if you busted it out too quickly and didn't have money to start another project. Consider yourself lucky to have a project. A lot of people either will never have a chance to get one nor the aptitude to complete one if they did have one. All in good time.........

Here is my non-finished project that I have easily dropped $14k into!

http://public.fotki.com/bryanw1968/
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:52 PM   #23
CochinoFilipino

I started on my mustang three years ago and I miss driving it. It's coming together, but slowly. Now I find myself taking some shortcuts. I want her back on the road by next summer. I've been saying that for the last three years. So the truck will be kept a "Rolling Project".
Old 10-12-2006, 05:21 PM   #24
matthufham

a year and a few months, i have the whole build up in the link below. i'm 16, started when i was 14 and had to have it done so i could drive it or i'd have a license and no wheels.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:01 PM   #25
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I started taking my 70 down in Nov 02. It was a lot slower until I got a shop in late 2004 and graduated from school. I think/hope maybe this time next year I'll be road worthy again, but not done. Like Yukon mentioned I have learned not to put many time lines on these things. Between work, kids, wife, and other stuff I normally only get a few hours a week on it. But it's there and I'll get it on the road again someday, and to me most all of it will be have done by me.
Attached Images

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 12-30-2006 at 09:43 PM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote