The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
69TowRig

Need Help. Spicer 20 shifter "detent" plate.

My Blazer was missing the front driveshaft when I purchased it, don't know why. Took care of that and figured out that my shifter box was seized on the Spicer 20.

I dropped the box, unseized the rails inside (it had apparently been dunked at some point, all rusty and pitted). The plate at the bottom of the box that determines the position and travel for the shifter was all eaten up. I tried to figure out what it needed to be correct, welded a piece in, cleaned it up, etc.

Now I have it all back up in the truck, driveshaft is in, and I am having issues with the shifter. I just think that I don't have the pattern on that plate repaired correctly, or I do not understand what the pattern should be exactly.

I thought that the pattern was a "j" shape, 2wd to the left in the middle, then down for 4wd, to the right and up to the middle for N, then all the way up to the right for 4-low.

The shifter seems to work in a mirrored "h" pattern (imagine that lower case h backwards). Is that correct? Does anyone have a picture of the detent plate in good condition?

I know these Spicer 20s are less common, read somewhere that they were only put in the K5s. Help? I will post pics in a minute of what I am talking about.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Re: Need Help. Spicer 20 shifter "detent" plate.

My 70 K5 supposedly had a 20 transfer case. It was gone when I bought the Blazer but I do have the shift gate. I'm putting an NP205 in it's place. I will try to take a picture of the gate for you tonight.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Here's the tc shifter ring/gate that was in my 70 K5.

Is your shifter ring/gate missing or just mangled?
Attached Images

Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
69TowRig

YJ,

Thanks for the help but the floorpan piece is not what I am talking about. The Spicer 20 has a separate "shifter box" that mounts to the side of the transmission that has the shifter to actuate the rails in the t-case. There is a plate in the bottom of that box that controls the motion of the shift lever. It is this piece that I need info on.

This is the shifter box, plate is in the background on the upper right.

Here is the plate. I saw the little sliver of metal hanging on for dear life (it broke without provocation after the picture was taken) so what I did was get a piece of 1/8" steel and re-do that portion. I would post a picture but I didn't take one of my "repaired" piece.

Any ideas? If anyone has a good shifter box they can dismantle and get a good picture or some measurements (even better) I would appreciate it greatly.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...

Last edited by 69TowRig; 10-18-2006 at 03:44 PM.
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote