The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
Draggn66
Wrenchin & Sandin!!!

A/C Center Vent Install Question

Ok I'm starting to install my Vintage Air system. I've got the templets to cut the holes but the PO had cut the radio hole to install an aftermarket radio so the templet may or may not work. The holes a bit bigger. I don't want to cut the hole too high or too low. Anyone got any ideas? Also has anyone used the round vents that came with the Vintage Air system as opposed to putting in factory balls? Do you like them? Any info would be great. TIA.....

My Favorite eBay Searches

My Driver Restore Thread
1971 C10 Longbed
2005 Silverado Shortbed
2005 FXDWG
Draggn66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
see ten
WTB this ad

Re: A/C Center Vent Install Question

I used the vents that came with the vintage air system. They don't look just like the stockers but I am quite pleased with them. I don't have the template for the center vent in front of me but it seems like part of it touches the dash pad. I can't promise you that so if you can't get it to obviously line up i would call a vintage air tech. It is the same as GMs factory vent. If you can get someone with a factory air truck they could measure from the dash pad down to the hole for you.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:09 PM   #3
ghetto_superman

anyone got pics of what the vents look like that come w/ the VA system? how many vents does it come with.. 2 round and one rectangular center or 4 round? id like to make something like round vents where the factory ignition and cig. lighter holes are with a slight reworking of that general area.. ditch the ash tray etc..
ghetto_superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
ducmons

i'll get you some pics later on. I'm in the middle of doing the vintage air and other mods.

For center a/c opening, just center the paper the best you can, then cut short so you can slowly gring away to get it perfect. Also be careful to not to make the opening to close to the top. You will probably find that the best mountain will be about 1/8" lower than the template, but just fiddle with it very slowly.

For the side vents. What comes with the system will work just fine. When you cut the holes be careful. The 2 1/2" circular saw will try to catch as you drill and its easy for it to get away. Wear good gloves and keep the drill steady. Take your time. Be sure to line up the template well, and close to the sides of the dash. If you get too far inwards on the dash, the curvature of the dash will interfere with the a/c inserts.
ducmons is offline   Reply With Quote