The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2006, 04:30 PM   #1
kevinr1970

My dilema

When it rains it pours I guess?
I have been looking for an engine for my project Blazer for a little while. I plan on selling it once it runs. Hoping to find a complete truck so I can harvest a few other parts too.

First option:
I went and looked at an "'85 GMC 4x4 wreck" for under a $1000. Turns out it is a short-wide bed. See picture below.
The story goes like this:
350 with new bottom end with ~60,000 but top end has ~230,000 on it and it shows. Currently runs like crap but it has been sitting for 2-1/2 years so the gas is probably bad. Says it ran good before but does smoke on start-up.
Newer Hooker headers and Flowmaster 40's.
Rebuilt tranny a few thousand miles before accident.Second rebuild so he says he paid the money to have it done right this time.
Eaton 3.73 posi, HD driveline/U-joints at the same time as tranny.
2" lift supsension springs front and rear, Rancho 9000(? - the better ones) shocks
Body (red) looks decent except both front fenders are a little crinkled.
AC truck (not hooked up - no compressor), power windows/locks, slider window.
The big issue is there was some sort of accident involving the front end. Both frame rails are obviously bent in the front, no bumper or grill. He said he drove it for a while after the accident with the bent up bumper and it drove fine. He then took it apart, rebuilt the front suspension then lost interest in it.

Second option:
Rebuilt 350 4-bolt main engine with Saginaw 4-speed, hurst shifter. "Come test drive it in the car". Around a $1000 but he sounded flexible.
The guy says it has been rebuilt a few years ago but not that many miles on it. Has Edelbrock big cam, RPM intake and carb. Also Edelbrock dress up kit - Air cleaner, valve covers, pulleys. New alternator, starter, clutch, etc.

My dilema is I only really need an engine for the Blazer but need a bunch of the peripherial items like fan shroud, engine mounts, tranny mounts, etc. The Blazer has nothing but the harness under the hood. I have a tranny but no X-member.
I can buy the nice engine and still need a lot of parts but this seems like a really good deal on a nice engine considering the parts on it. I could put this engine in my Blazer I am keeping and put that engine in the one I am selling. I would only need the engine but my '87 swb has a sm465 3-speed tranny so I could use the Saginaw 4-speed in that I suppose.

On the other hand, I could use the engine and parts and pieces out of the GMC truck to get the one Blazer running. I would also get the headers and mufflers.
My '87 swb is Forrest Service green in color and has no options. I would have a decent red AC cab with power windows and locks, and a decent red bed, tailgate and hood.
I have a good '86 GMC 4x4 already but could use the springs and shocks on it. It also has 3.73 gears so I could use the rear-end too but think I would rather swap the axles and use it in my 2wd Blazer.
Or, if the frame isn't too bad, have it straightened and have a short bed 4x4 that has good options, rebuilt tranny, rear-end and is lifted??? The engine in my long bed only has about 10k on it and I could use it in the short bed 4x4. I could sell my rebuilt tranny, long bed and other items I don't need. I could use the cab, front clip and tailgate on my short bed 2wd.
???

Not really looking for answers I guess, but this way I am laying out everyting if only for myself. I am leaning towards the truck. I think everthing considered I would be better off with the parts from it although I would really like a nice engine too?
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)

Last edited by kevinr1970; 10-04-2007 at 11:41 PM.
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote