The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
kdevore2

Removing the body....

How difficult is it to remove the body from the frame on a 66 fleetside and what is the procedure to do this? I'd really like to power wash my frame and suspension and give it a good coat of paint before I start on the body. How heavy is the cab? I'm converting over from old Jeep CJ's and have recently got interested in these old trucks.
kdevore2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
Chevy Fleetside

Re: Removing the body....

First you have to take the front sheet metal off. Then you will have to disconnect everything that comes out of the cab to frame. This being speedo cable, Park Brake Cable, brake lines from master cylnder, steering column. unplug harness to back lights, and where ever else it comes out of the firewall. You might want to remove the doors so it is lighter. 4 people can lift a stripped cab. I am sure there is more to take off and someone will come around and let you know. I am sure your fuel tank is behind the seat so you will need to disconect that also.. the fuel line anyway.. Gee I almost forgot.. There will be 4 mounting bolts from cab to frame also..

Last edited by Chevy Fleetside; 10-21-2006 at 06:22 PM.
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:15 PM   #3
raphyel

Re: Removing the body....

My dad and I removed and installed my cab. If you have taken the guts out seat steering column etc., then what we did is get on either side. I lifted one side and he guided the other. We set the cab on its side where the doors normally are, but they had been removed. when we put it on, we reversed the process. We lifted up une side then rolled the frame under and let it down. The only thing it that it is not going to line up, so it will have to be slid around which will scratch some of the paint on the frame. But with 2 people it came out great.
raphyel is offline   Reply With Quote