The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2006, 10:00 AM   #1
79stepside_SS400

electrical problems... crank/no start...

i got all kind of problems going on... mostly electrical.. the condition is a crank but no start.. only cranks if you jump the starter with a remote switch but still no spark with a direct power supply to the HEI from the battery. i fried the module couple of times within the past couple months... i replaced the ignition/neutral safety switch and you still can't crank it over with the key... i seriously think i might have some problems with my fuse box, this problem is effecting everything else.. my wipers, fog lights, dash lights and most of my electrical wont work...

i could run it temporarily by changing the dizzy and giving it a direct supply from the battery to keep it from getting contaminated once more by the rest of the plagued electrical...

has anyone experienced this type of problem with a 73-87 stepside?
79stepside_SS400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:09 PM   #2
lurch115

Re: electrical problems... crank/no start...

check the underside of the distributor cap...a common problem that causes the ignition modual to go bad is that after doing a tune-up is that some people tend to over tighten the coil screws which makes them poke through the bottom of the cap....thus in turn shorting out the rotor every time is passes them....as for the rest of it...i'd be checking the wiring from the starter to the alternator and from the battery to the starter....might have caused some other major problems if thats what happened

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you carry the wall with you."
'84 chevy half ton short box 2wd, 67,000 actual miles
'03 chevy 1500 HD crew cab 4x4 standard box, 6.0L
lurch115 is offline   Reply With Quote