The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
El Caballo

Question Door locks on my '62 C10

How do the door locks on my '62 C10 work? There is probably a rather simple answer and I am guessing it has to do with the door handle. Mine seem to be in need of repair if that is the case. My truck is still in the project pile of parts stage.
El Caballo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:36 PM   #2
raphyel

Re: Door locks on my '62 C10

Your door locks work by the key...many of the old trucks like we have had a dummy lock on the passenger side and a real lock on the driver side. Therefoe if you want to be able to lock it up with any security, you will need to replace the dummy lock. Also the doors have an actuator that connects to the door handle and rund to the door latch. They often need replacing on a resto job
raphyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
Hilandr451

Another interesting and vital fact about door locks on '60-'66 Chevy trucks:

The inside door lock mechanism (pushing the handle down) is completely separate from the outside door lock mechanism which only locks the button on the handle so you can't push it in. So you can easily lock the passenger door from the inside and you still won't be able to open it with a key from the out side (provided you are lucky enough to have a lock on that side).

Hmm.... maybe that's why passenger side door locks weren't standard in most trucks.
Highlander's web site: www.6066ChevyTrucks.com

Last edited by Hilandr451; 10-24-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Hilandr451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:25 PM   #4
damnyankee36

Right, in fact, if you push down on the driver's handle, and then shut the door, the handle pops back up. Same with the passenger side.

Larry
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:58 PM   #5
salazar44
65 - Chevy C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphyel View Post
Your door locks work by the key...many of the old trucks like we have had a dummy lock on the passenger side and a real lock on the driver side. Therefoe if you want to be able to lock it up with any security, you will need to replace the dummy lock. Also the doors have an actuator that connects to the door handle and rund to the door latch. They often need replacing on a resto job
MAN!!! I thought my locks were broken!
salazar44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:42 PM   #6
thekid54

Yeah, it took me a while to get used to it on my '62. I'd go to unlock the pass. door from the outside for my girlfriend and then...the button goes in but the door won't open! "Dang it, nevermind honey, just slide in on my side."
thekid54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:41 AM   #7
62ChevyStep

Hey El Caballo, That 10 Bolt rear Diff is sitting here in Portales, NM waiting for you to come pick up?

Let me know when you want to come get it.
05'Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5
62ChevyStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
Chuck78

Back from the dead, I , too, am confused about my passenger door lock/latch on my 62 GMC panel. If you didn't have the pass. lock option, could you still lock it by lifting up on the inside door handle? My lock cylinder seems to not be attached to anything on that side. I haven't got time to pull the driver's side to compare, but the window tracks are all in the way to really see anything, even with a mirror and a flashlight...

Any more words of wisdom????

Thanks,

Chuck in Columbus, OH

Last edited by Chuck78; 08-03-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Chuck78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

the key lock only locks the button on the outside door handle.
to lock from the inside:
lift the handle up to the lock position with the door closed.
as a safety feature if you lock the inside handle, and then shut the door, it will unlock, that way yo can't lock yourself out.
you can lock your driver door while driving, but to lock it for security you would have to use the key lock on the button.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:58 PM   #10
Chuck78

I got a tiny mirror on a telescoping stick and a flashlight, and looked in there with the window up and the door panel off. Looked at the cam type piece that the door latch actuator linkage moves to lock the door from the inside handle. Looks like the "stops" that are stamped into the backing plate type piece of the latch, those have been worn down, and the locking cam was rotated a degree or two too far for the actuator to move it, as it was putting the force onto the wrong part of the cam. Oiled it up and fiddled with it and got it to work most of the time, but I really need to take it out, hit that stop with the arc welder, and grind it back into original spec and shape. Door just wouldn't lock at all from the inside, open or closed. Driver's side has always worked fine. Pass. side exterior lock cylinder still doesn't move at all when the key is inserted. Wasn't sure if this was the "dummy lock" that was mentioned above, or not. Might have to find another that my keyway fits, and get it re-keyed to the rest. barn doors, ignition, and I think glove box all work off the same key as the driver's door. Nice to have.

Is this the case with the supposed "dummy locks?"

Thanks,
Chuck in Ohio
'62 GMC 1000 panel truck 305D (tremec 5 spd/'89 PB discs and PS soon!)
'71 RS/SS Camaro project 406 sbc Tremec 5 spd corner hugger (pile of parts for now)

Chuck78 is offline   Reply With Quote