The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2006, 04:42 PM   #1
fris_94

trouble with c10

Hey truck guys. Seems like I got what I think is a slight problem. I can still drive around but Im a bit worried about highway driving at higher speeds. The acceleration in my truck had gotten all of a sudden slower. It also seems like it takes a bit longer for the truck to switch gears (auto trans). I checked the trans fluid and she was really low in fluid and the fluid was really brown. Also, the truck would flood a lot when my choke wasn't working right so I wondering if an oil change would be the solution. Any suggestions. thanks.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Re: trouble with c10

Did u try to fill up the tranny to the proper level. If its really brown I would get a new filter and drain/flush it out and fill it back up with new tranny fluid. An oil change probably won't fix the problem(s) your having right now.
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:09 PM   #3
fris_94

Okay I'll do that. I filled it up today but it still ran the same way. Maybe the filter is clogged so tomorrow (hopefully) Ill get a chance to drain the tranny and change the filter.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:51 PM   #4
7387chevys

Quote:
Originally Posted by fris_94 View Post
Okay I'll do that. I filled it up today but it still ran the same way. Maybe the filter is clogged so tomorrow (hopefully) Ill get a chance to drain the tranny and change the filter.
Hopefully You get time to change the filter fluid before you have to change the trans............If thew fluid is burnt..........your trans is in bad shape brown not so bad
Shane
7387chevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:40 PM   #5
fris_94

When you say burnt fluid do you mean that the fluid is black? Cause it definetly wasn't black, it was brown. I won't be driving my truck at all tomorrow until i get the tranny drained. How would I be able to tell if the filter is clogged (never seen this filter before) and would a clogged filter be the cause of my problem, or part of it? thanks
Old 10-27-2006, 08:59 PM   #6
7387chevys

Burnt fluid is dark brown-black.....smell the dipstick if it smells burnt your probabally in for a trans swap.........just check and see if you have lots of shavings/grit in the pan......if you have lots=bad.....little is normal wear..........Just swap out the filter/fluid (good to change them every 40-50000 miles more often if you put a lot of stress on it)and see how it does.
Shane
Old 10-28-2006, 07:08 AM   #7
fris_94

I think my tranny just died. I went to start up my truck to move her a little bit so i could change the fluid and filter and when i started it up i got a really bad clunking and shaking. I guess I was just a little too late on picking up that it was a transmission problem i had. anyway, i need my truck to get back and forth from school every day so i don't know whether to sell the truck or get a new tranny. actually we found an old truck just like mine, everything was good only the body was rusted pretty bad, so i could try to get the transmission from that one. anyway, just a little too late
Old 10-28-2006, 09:42 AM   #8
fris_94

haha....never mind my last one. just realized i got 2 of my spark plugs taken out of the truck. i was checking my plugs when i cracked one off and stripped the other one. maybe the tranny isn't gone after all.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:22 AM   #9
7387chevys

Aint it funny how you forget what you have done and always think the worst.......I know what you mean
Shane
Old 10-29-2006, 10:25 AM   #10
SmittySmith
'82 GMC Sierra Classic

Hey you should leave that forgetful stuff to us old guys!!

When you said you stripped one, did you strip the threads in the head or just the plug?? If you stripped the threads in the head, you can get a tool at the local auto parts store to clean the threads and be OK, may save you a lot of hassles. Less than $10.

Good luck with the trans....

~Smitty
SmittySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:12 PM   #11
fris_94

it was just the plug. i went down and bought 2 more now the truck is alright....except its tranny. i think im goin to bring my truck down to the garage and get my tranny checked over. i got no place to jack my truck up and im better off letting someone who knows something about trannys look at it seeing i need my truck as a daily driver.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:27 PM   #12
mhicks

90% of the time transmisions shops will tell you it's bad and it needs to be re-built ($1200.00,$1500.00) when it only needs a 20-30 dollar part . I had a brother-in-law that managed about 5 different ones in the DFW area and he told me all about how they operate. Try to find someone you can trust or just drop the pan and put a filter in it. It might help.
mhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:58 PM   #13
fris_94

Yeah i can see where your coming from. Im bringing it to trans shop tomorrow and the guy there is goin to look at it. I can pretty much figure out what he's goin to tell me but i got a way around it. I can get the exact same transmission out of a truck, same year same engine same everything, for free. So instead of getting it rebuilt he can put that one in. Now that trans is old too so i bought a filter and gasket to put in either this trans or the other one. As long as it gets fixed I don't really care.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:45 PM   #14
fris_94

hey guys. i just got my fluid and filter changed on my transmission and now my truck seems to be running good. thanks for the help.