The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2006, 10:23 PM   #1
pimperout

350 to a 383 or even a 388?

i have an old 350 engine in a parts truck of mine it runs nicly but i would like to put it in my good truck. i figure if im takin it out and my other engine runs now why not take my time on this 1 and make it as big and powerfull as i can so i would like to know first what is the absolut largest you can bore out a 350 with no complications .030 or .060 i have seen pistons for .060 over but some friends of mine think that is to much and it may blow out the walls of the cylenders under pressure. and also what are your reccomendations for getting as much HP out of the motor as i can? thanks
pimperout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:49 AM   #2
underdog8704
NCStroker

Re: 350 to a 383 or even a 388?

i have a 71 with a 383 stroker in it. built to be a reliable driver. bored .40 over, stock heads, stoker kit, comp cam and heddman headers. has pretty low compression right now to make it last longer. strong motor but could be more. any questions regarding the build ask away.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:37 AM   #3
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimperout View Post
i have an old 350 engine in a parts truck of mine it runs nicly but i would like to put it in my good truck. i figure if im takin it out and my other engine runs now why not take my time on this 1 and make it as big and powerfull as i can so i would like to know first what is the absolut largest you can bore out a 350 with no complications .030 or .060 i have seen pistons for .060 over but some friends of mine think that is to much and it may blow out the walls of the cylenders under pressure. and also what are your reccomendations for getting as much HP out of the motor as i can? thanks
Max bore depends on the block; .030 is virtually always safe, anything beyond that is a gamble. Your machine shop can ultrasound the block and tell you what can be done with your particular block. I've seen .040 go into the water jacket on occasion. Keep in mind that an .030 overbore = ~5 CID; why do something risky (.060) for another 5 CID?

The limit on the HP is a lot more about your pocketbook than anything else It's possilble to build a 1,000 HP SBC for $25K or so...how much do YOU want to spend? '-) Seriously, given a budget and usage (daily driver, street/strip, etc.) it's a lot easier to tell you how much power you can (afford to) make.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:01 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

A 383 stroker will make plenty of power for street use.Build a bullet proff bottom end to last.Later you can upgrade the heads and get more.Once you have a solid foundation you can add other goodies and still keep it reliable.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
pimperout

ok thanks for the info guys much appreciated
pimperout is offline   Reply With Quote