The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2006, 07:29 AM   #1
pkj

bag questions

started out thinking about using drop springs. that changed after following several threads about the problems with 3 inch drop front springs. i had 4 Firestone bags laying around so i made brackets for rear and installed those. yesterday i ordered front brackets from suicide doors. you guys are right, east people to deal with. will white teflon tape work on air fittings? how do you figure ride hieght? do you use a minium amount of air pressure? i have not aired the rears yet, the axel tubes touch frame when i jack rearend all the way up. i have the bump stops out. i want to have them set for a 4 to 5 inch rear drop. if i need to c-notch i will. what is best driving comfort for air pressure. sorry for all questions, this is new to me. thanks, pkj
pkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
Alvin
Never Done?

Re: bag questions

There are lots of people here with more experience than myself, but I'll offer what I do know.

The white teflon tape has worked for me. Granted my truck hasn't been together in 4 years, and it's just a rolling frame right now, but the front air bags have been inflated for well over 3 months now with no noticeable difference. From what I've seen most others will recommend using a lock-tite compound on the fittings.

From what I've read it's best to configure ride height to the recommended inflated height of the bag. So if the bag has a recommended height of 5.5 inches, figure out the psi it takes to get the bag there and thats your ride height. I'm sure you can fudge it one way or the other to get better ride quality or whatever, but the bag has a recommended height for a reason so work off of that.

I have c-notched my frame, but it's not necessary. I plan on running a 32 inch tall tire on the back, so I opted for the extra travel the c-notch provides, then put on 2 inch lowering blocks which in essence will give me a 2 inch lower ride height (Lets say with the bag aired out, the axle tube hits the frame. Inflate the bag to a height of 5.5 inches, and the axle tube is only 3.5 inches from the frame).

Some of your other questions I don't know the answers yet. Hopefully somebody else will chime in.

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
pkj

thanks alvin. this started as a rear bag only and is growing. like i said i am using left over parts and trying to make a system. i have 2 small compressors that i will attemt to use togather. all my stuff was for when we were lowering F-150s we would add a firestone assist bag set-up for hauling cargo. the bags are rated at 2600 lbs. the compessors are small, but work slow. i am thinking about adding a tank to the system. how many gallons do you need to operate 4 bags? the only info on my bags is run a min. of 25 lbs. they were made for assist, not no static springs. people have said they should work. the in cab gauge goes up to 130 lbs. i never took them that high. i believe they will raise 3 inchs from a non-compressed posisition. all info will greatly help. so far i have only had to buy front brackets. what do some people use for tank or tanks, besides just buying them? i am getting a kick out of doing this on a nothing budget, more so then the wow factor of having bags.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:14 AM   #4
abadsvt

I also am learning as i install my setup. I remember reading somewhere that you don't want to use teflon tape because the chance of overtighting. Regarding ride height you should look at the model # of the bag and look online to see if you can find the specs on the bag. Usually when you look at the specs of the bags it tells you what recommended ride height is. With my air ride technologies shockwaves it is usually about 1 1/2" below max height. Look at suicide doors website they should have some firestone bags that might be close to what you have. I also would just experiment about how much pressure you will like in the rear and the front. My old 65 chevelle ss had bags on the front and rear. I believe i had 50psi in the front and 90psi for the rear. I had sleave type bags in the rear. Anyways good luck and make sure you take some pics!!!!
Josh
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:51 AM   #5
pkj

thanks abadsvt, i have been following your threads. cant wait to see some of your pics and ideas. just found a old small setling gas bottel about 32-34 inchs tall. i think it would make a nice easy to mount air tank. i dont know if it has enough volumn to air up 4 bags. what do you think? where is good place for valve set up? my thinking is i need air in and 2 sources of air out. does that sound right? thanks, pkj
Old 11-01-2006, 07:12 PM   #6
abadsvt

Thanks PKJ! I will be posting some pics of the rear end installed with the trianglated 4 link and the shockwaves this weekend. Check it out and let me know what you think. Anyways about your setup. I used to have my chevelle it had 4 bags, 1/4 air lines, a 3gal tank (might have been a 5gal. I can't remember), small compressor. I bought it like this. It aired up the entire car just fine. The only thing was if i went from empty to complete full i had to let the compressor run for 30 secs or so. Wasn't a big deal to me. I went with 2 3gal tanks and 2 compressors for my truck because it is more a show truck and i am thinking about displaying them some how. Also my chevelle didn't have any valves. As to where to mount the valves that can be a little tricky. I am going to be facing that problem in a few weeks. I remember seeing on here where someone mounted there valves. I will look into it and see if i can find the thread. I would imagine that you can get that old setline tank to work not sure how you are going to fill it up? I sure it can be done but you might want to ask some other people to see if they have some experience with that. Sorry i can't be more help. One more thing. You need a mininium of air in and 1 air out. You can always spit the air out after it comes from the tank. I will include a pic of my chevelle setup. It might help and if not atleast i can show it off
Attached Images

Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
Old 11-01-2006, 09:55 PM   #7
jimmydean

I am using a 7 gallon tank and one compresor right now, but will add a second soon.

I used Loctite rather than tape because an engineer I know said the tape doesn't do well with temp changes and doesn't last long.

I mounted my valves in pairs on the inside of the frame near each bag. If I don't have to work this weekend, I will get it back together and post some pics.

I am notching my frame with a bolt in setup that I will weld in once it's bolted.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:39 AM   #8
abadsvt

Hey Jimmy. I don't think i have seen any progress pics of your truck. We keep ending up in the same thread talking to each other but i haven't seen your truck yet. I want to see it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you fixing up the long bed in your avatar? Talk to you later!! Josh
Old 11-02-2006, 03:34 AM   #9
jimmydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadsvt View Post
Hey Jimmy. I don't think i have seen any progress pics of your truck. We keep ending up in the same thread talking to each other but i haven't seen your truck yet. I want to see it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you fixing up the long bed in your avatar? Talk to you later!! Josh
Yes sir, I am. The pic in my avatar was the day I bought it a year ago ($600 on Craigs List).

Here's some shots I took when I pulled it into the driveway just before pulling it apart. The front is back together and all the valves are mounted and plumbed. I haven't touched the rear besides mounting the tank and compresor.

If I get a weekend off, I will finish the back. I need to mount the gauges and run the wires as well. I keep getting side tracked!

<edit> I have a new grill and front bumper in the garage that I might end up powdercoating satain black.

Sorry for hijacking the thread

Last edited by jimmydean; 11-02-2006 at 03:39 AM.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:42 PM   #10
pkj

thanks to all for your help. this is starting to work in my head now. what i need help with now is when i want the air to leave tank and go to front by one controll, and rear by second controll. does anybody have a diagram of this with the fill and dump valves, guages, wirering, etc.? i want to do it right, but simple. all diagrams i see are for more exotic systems. am i missing something? thanks, pkj
Old 11-02-2006, 03:35 PM   #11
jimmydean

My setup is sort of easy and is what worked for me. I will get some pics this weekend, I promise.

I used a brass T with gauge fitting to couple my fill/dump valve pairs. My tank didn't have a place to hang the valves, so I used a T off the tank with a single line down each side of the frame rail.

Check the suspension forum, there are quite a few diagrams posted in there if you look around. Many bagged trucks on this board, mine will soon be one of them.