The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2006, 10:00 AM   #1
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Any tips for rehanging a door?

I have to rehang my passenger door tonight so I can get on with fitting the outer rocker. Anyone have any hints and tips as to how to gwt the thing lined up properly?

Thanks

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:28 PM   #2
Pitts1e

Smile Re: Any tips for rehanging a door?

Lippyp
Glade to see some one else had decided to tackle a restoration across the pond. I am up in Scotland and currently restoring a 67 SWB. You name it and I have probably replaced it due to rust unfortunately. I am trying to finish up the metal work on the cab this winter and finish the exterior this summer.

As far as body panel alignment it is tuff and it WILL try your patience. This has been my first auto rebuild and I have learned allot. If you go to the FAQ's section there is a part on body panel alignment and I found it very helpful. It was written generally and not totally for our year truck but it is still a great read.

Basically you need to center up the doors in the opening and use the existing bodylines to get every thing lined up. Make sure your hinges are in good shape as well or else the doors will sag. It also a good idea to leave the windows and such in the doors as even with solid hinges it will cause the door to sag a wee bit due to the extra weight.

I am in the final front-end body panel alignment and it is very trying, especially since mine was in an accident once and the radiator mounts are off by 3/4 of an inch. Sorry for the long reply but if you have Q's you can call me 01382-540254 or mobile 07921-765474.
Cheers
Matt
Old 11-01-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: Any tips for rehanging a door?

I use a strip of cardboard laid on top of the rocker panel to set the door on. This usually sets the clearance for the bottom of the door. Also, I set the striker for the door latch a little higher to start with. As mentioned it takes some time to adjust the door.

Do you have the fender on or off?

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:16 PM   #4
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I used my floor jack to steady mine until I got the hinges semi snug. I picked up a set of house door shims and used them top, bottom etc for getting the alignment close. It is a whole lot of trial and error. It is also way easier with the fender off or loose. It's a real challenge with the fenders still on.

Good luck.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:36 PM   #5
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

Tape some paint sticks or something similar to the rocker panel edge where the door will rest. Leave the door striker out, do not use it to align the door. Install the door on the hinges and check all of your gaps around the door. If your door is not "loaded" meaning all of the glass and hardware in it, leave it adjusted a little high in the back. If it is loaded then adjust the gaps and then install the latch for final adjustments. Good luck to you.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:55 AM   #6
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Thanks for all the tips, we got it hung last night, the fender is off so access was good, took a while to get it adjusted right but the gap is pretty even all round and it opens and shuts nicely and the body lines line up.

I like the idea of taping some spacers on top of the rocker to get the gap right, I'll be doing that today.

Matt, its more of a rolling resto, I've actually had the truck for about five years, it was my daily driver for a couple of years until fuel prices got so silly. This has also been my first attempt at proper bodywork primarily as an excercise in getting ti through the MoT test although I've owned and worked on various classics over the years. When I was younger my attempts involved a bucket of filler and some wire mesh and even on one memorable occasion a patch or two pop rivetted over a couple of holes so I decided it was time to learn to do it properly. The other side will need doing eventually but as it's not holed yet it can wait until I find some new workshop space. Lets see some pics of yours!

Cheers
Phil

'67 C10 long fleet.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:14 AM   #7
Pitts1e

Lippyp
Here are some work in progress pics. I have chosen to make several mods as I have no interest in leaving it completley stock. I am overall just going for that "smooth" look. If I were smart and left it stock I would probably be done by now!
Sorry I just tried to upload some pictures and I could not get it to work. I guess all my pics are to large. I am not that smart on how to shrink them and I really have never used a message board before so I am trying to figure it out. As you can see this is post number 3.
Cheers
Matt
Old 11-02-2006, 11:47 AM   #8
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Try uploading your pictures to www.photobucket.com (you'll have to set up an account but its free) and then just copy the link under the picture that says img and paste it into your message.

Mine is pretty much stock outside but it has a 350 small block with some minortweaks and is about to get a few more. I also want a front power disk conversion as the drums are interesting at times on the roads around here when they get a bit hot.

'67 C10 long fleet.