The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2006, 07:07 PM   #1
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

Question about dressing up factory bench seats

Hi Gang,

I am almost ready to take my truck in to get the interior done (bench seat, carpets, panels, etc...)

Before I do that, I would like to change the bolts on the pivot point and stops of the bench seat.

On the pivot bolt, I was thinking of using threaded rod and then cap it off with a stainless cap nut, but for the seat stop, what is on there is a bolt with a nut, and i have not been able to come up with any ideas of what to use instead of the ugly bolt and nut.

Any if you that have redone your bench seats, did you do anything different for the hardware or just reused the old bolts?????

UPDATE added pictures. Looking at the driver side, you can see the head of one bolt going thru the arm of the back frame, and threads into the bottom frame. That is the pivet point bolt, ugly.... Then, if you look further up the arm of the back frame, you will see the welded on box that houses the welded nut for the bolt and nut used as the stop bolt.

Trying to find something different to dress up these two bolts, by replacing them with stainless bolts is the easiest, but just wondering if and what other options or ideas anyone else has used... Thanks!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by John Fabris; 11-03-2006 at 01:56 AM.
John Fabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:10 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Question about dressing up factory bench seats

You probably won't get too many ideas, most of these trucks didn't have flip forward seats.
Can you post some photos by chance?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #3
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

John,

Help me to picture the seat stop....is the bolt threaded into the frame with the nut being an adjustment lock to set the seat stop position?

If so, what about taking a piece of round bar, 1/2" or so in diameter, and having one end turned down so that it can be threaded and screwed into the frame. Then cut the bar to the correct length and round the edge a bit. Then have chromed or powder coated?

Or am I way far off on what you are talking about?!?!?!?!?

As for the pivot, what about polished stainless or chrome button head cap screws?

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

I will take photos of what the seat looks like now (when I get home tonight).

Glock, ya, something like that, I have been walking thru hardware stores (Ace, mom/pop stores, Home Depot, etc...) trying to find that is similar to that, thinking along the lines of a chome locating pin, or even small pin with rubber stop.

Again, I will take some pictures to help those to visualize what I am looking at.....
Old 11-02-2006, 07:47 PM   #5
67 cst swb

I was thinking of using a that rounded head allen head bolt for the pivot point. (yes this is the type stuff that keeps me up at night) then,...
using a allen head (the type with the knurls around the top) as the stop bolt, used with a thin stainless jam nut...
Are these fold forward seats really that rare?
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:19 PM   #6
chevyman432003

i am using seat belt bolts for the pivit bolt just drill and tap the old holes and for the stops i am using the bolts that hold the back seat of an 80s camaro folding seat
chevyman432003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:58 AM   #7
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

TTT - added pictures to the top post...
Old 11-03-2006, 03:03 AM   #8
nandress

Man...I am trying to work through all these things myself right now, as well!!!

The pivot bolts are a special shoulder bolt that I haven't seen repros of, though I didn't get the chance to compare to AMK Products http://www.amkproducts.com before I had to give it to my upholsterer. You should be able to make a bushing of the right size and then use a fancy bolt to do the trick (I think the originals are in fact a bushing and bolt pressed together).

For the stop bolt, ARP makes a distributor stud (ARP-450-1702 at Summit for under $6 each) that is the exact length needed. It has a base with 3/8-16 threads (about half an inch long) and with a stainless jam nut looks just like the original stud, but in stainless. The problem is the upper portion is 3/8-24, and it is almost impossible to track down a stainless wingnut in 3/8-24 (though I have found one at Fastenal, but haven't ordered one for it yet to find out for sure). But if you don't want/need the wingnut, any good stainless nut would work well.
nandress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:58 AM   #9
67chevy2wd

Are you just looking for a stop or something to lock the seat back until you want to get back there, Like on 73 on up seats. If you were just looking for a stop what about some sort of stop like used on the hoods, the two adjustable rubber stops. Or you could use the hardware from a 73 on up seat.
'71 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4
‘71 GMC 1/2 ton 2wd suburban
67chevy2wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:53 PM   #10
Americanrider

As far as the pivot bolt head go here is an idea. Drop by your local Harely dealer or a custom Bike shop. They sell chromed caps that attach to ugly bolt heads. Many bikers use them to cover up axle & frame bolt heads.
It's called a HEX BOLT COVER KIT

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
Attached Images

Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:05 PM   #11
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

AmericanRider, Sweet Tip!!!! Thanks...