The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2006, 04:09 PM   #1
caseychoptop

gas conversion for c10

i based int he uk and was thinking of doing a autogas/lpg gas conversion to run my truck as fuel here is very expensive, dont know what your fuel cost but ours it about £5 a gallon which is roughly just over $9 a gallon plus i only get about 8 miles to the gallon, any views on this or if anyone has done the conversion
caseychoptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:59 PM   #2
CochinoFilipino

Re: gas conversion for c10

I always find it amusing that on this side of the pond "gas" is short for gasoline. So we are already runninig "gas".

And most of us here probably aren't going to pick up some "fags" on the way home.

Sorry for the diversion. I'm sure someone will chime in on your propane conversion.

Bump.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:00 PM   #3
edmonton72
Nothings as cool as my 72

I'm asuming that you are talking about propane. I have also thought of doing this conversion too. There are some good and bad things about running a truck on propane. The price of propane is about half of what gasoline is. The conversion will cost around $1000. Propane also has a high octane rating, 100-110. So you could build a high a compression motor and burn cheap fuel. Some of the downs about propane is that it wears out your engine more. It burns at a hotter tempature then gasoline so your engine will wear quicker. One common problem is that valve seals wear out. So if your going to do this build a motor to run on propane or at least get your heads rebuilt. Propane isn't also as eficeint as gasoline. If you get 8 mpg now you'll probably get around 6 mpg with propane.

Check out www.gotpropane.com and also do a search on google.
Rolling chassis finally done and cab mounted. Now onto sanding, bondo and more sanding.
edmonton72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:03 PM   #4
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I'm not sure I agree with the wear statement. I know a guy that uses propane in a 90's suburban and had almost 300000 miles on the engine, went through 3 transmissions. He said it didn't use any oil either.

Gasoline can be hard on engines and valves because of all the byproducts in it that collect and cause hot spots, corrosion, and seal wear. In fact, before this, I've never heard anyone say that propane was harder on an engine than gas.

That board member from Argentina had some knowledge of using LPG on these trucks. It was a common conversion down there. Also, check with your local LPG supplier. I'm sure they'd ;ove to help a prospective customer out.

HG
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:22 PM   #5
nutsforchevys

From what I understand Propane is supposed to be better on your engine extending its life. Back in the 70's a lot of trucks around here ran propane they make a automatic oil injection that will help the "drying" out of the valves in our trucks. I buy and sell some government vehicles that run propane. I have a 91 3/4 ton GMC now with tbi and propane and it seems to have about the same power on propane as gasoline.
Propane here with the taxes is not much cheaper than gasoline.
nutsforchevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:28 PM   #6
jimmydean

Next year I hope to convert my motor to E85. Oregon is building the largest E85 plant on the west coast, so it should be somewhat available in a year or 2. I would like to get off fosil fuel as soon as possible.

U.N. Says 2005 Set Greenhouse Gas Record
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:11 AM   #7
caseychoptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsforchevys View Post
From what I understand Propane is supposed to be better on your engine extending its life. Back in the 70's a lot of trucks around here ran propane they make a automatic oil injection that will help the "drying" out of the valves in our trucks. I buy and sell some government vehicles that run propane. I have a 91 3/4 ton GMC now with tbi and propane and it seems to have about the same power on propane as gasoline.
Propane here with the taxes is not much cheaper than gasoline.
our propane here is about have the price of reg fuel (gas) how much do you pay roughly for a galoon of gasoline?
Old 11-04-2006, 09:36 AM   #8
Boog
laying low

Casey. From what little I know about propane engines is they do run much cleaner than gasoline. It's a more complete combustion. Take a propane engine apart after many miles and they are still really clean inside. Oil still looks a lot cleaner at time of changing it. A little less mile per gallon maybe but a well tuned engine can run a long time on LP gas. Sometimes inconvenient as LP gas not readily available like gasoline. Cost of conversion, price per gallon and availability will most likely be the deciding factors though.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 10:06 AM   #9
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Found this this morning:

http://wps.com/LPG/LPG-book-final.html

DUAL FUEL SYSTEMS
You have the choice of installing an LPG only or dual LPG/gasoline system. As you might guess, the dual-fuel setup is a compromise; you'll get maximum performance, simplicity and economy with the single fuel setup. That is what I chose. I talked to the owner of a 1970 GMC pickup who converted to dual fuel when the truck was new (181,000 miles, no motor overhaul yet) and says he runs mainly LPG, and gasoline when LPG isn't convenient. You may have trouble with the carburetor gaskets drying out and such; talk to the LPG equipment dealer for details. The GMC owner had no complaints, so maybe all that's overrated.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:43 PM   #10
caseychoptop

nearly all setups in uk are dual fuel and you can change between gasoline and propane at the flick of a switch, 90% of a fuel stations now have propane pumps, so is no different to getting gasoline, i have about 10 fuel stations all with a mile of me that sell propane, still not sure if i should go ahead a do it as the conversion is alot dearer here converts to about $2200
Old 11-04-2006, 01:14 PM   #11
roj2323

caseychoptop, why not have someone from the usa purchase one for you and ship it over? it would same you some bucks.
ondrew
roj2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:29 PM   #12
caseychoptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by roj2323 View Post
caseychoptop, why not have someone from the usa purchase one for you and ship it over? it would same you some bucks.
ondrew
have been looking at some usa ones as i had the same idea, need some other parts aswell so would make sense to do that, trying to make a small lis tof the bits i need, important one being some new door and door window weather strips