The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
Boise69
The Hammer Man

Lifts? drive on type or frame lift type?

In preperation of my re-store, i'm looking into lifts. I can't seem to decide if i want the type you drive up on and then press a button and it lifts the truck or the kind that you drive under and slide the arms underneath the truck and lift away. This seems like a simple decision but if one is going to do a complete body off resto which works the best for all one has to do? And finally is there a brand that stands above the rest? I'm looking ebay to get ideas but eventually would contact the manufacturer directly to order.

Is there rule of thumb so to speak on deciding on a lift. some tell me i need at least 4" concrete and i really dont know what the hell i have in my building but no issue there.

so to lift by the wheels or lift by the frame thats the question?

when i watch shows like TRUCKS he has both, i dont have room for both nor the desire.

1969 Chevy C-10 SWB 350/400 - drivable project

www.americanhammer.com

2013 MBZ Sprinter customized
2005 MBZ Sprinter Van
2004 Land Rover Discovery
2001 Yamaha Road Star
1997 MBZ E420
1989 Ferrari Mondial T
Boise69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:09 PM   #2
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Re: Lifts? drive on type or frame lift type?

Where I used to work at PT on the side, they had both kinds, the 2 post
takes ALOT less space, it really depends on what you like / have space 4
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:12 PM   #3
Boise69
The Hammer Man

well it will be in the corner and the bad thing is i will have to turn the truck around so i can get to the other side. haven't worked out the details of that yet but in the sake of space the corner is an obvious choice. we'll see.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

I bought a two post hoist from AutoLifters. Like you I shopped, studied, asked, and procrastinated. I think the four post may be a little more convienient as far as getting the vehicle up in the air and not being so picky about concrete thickness but I personally think the two post is more versatile. I used mine to raise my cab up and rolled the frame right under it. I also made adapters so i can lift my lawn tractors up & have clear work area under them. Best pennies I ever spent.....

One of the drawbacks is that this lift required 6" thick concrete.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:52 PM   #5
woodridge

A 4 post takes up more space and limits what you can do. I have both and the drive on gets used very little.
woodridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:07 PM   #6
04 orange

2 post best way to go. on a 4 post its hard to take the wheels off and work around those areas if you dont have the jacks for them.
04 orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:59 PM   #7
wibilly

2 post is the only way to go in my opinion you can,t even change a tire on a drive on without rejacking. i don't even have a clue what a drive on would be good for other than an alignment rack with the cross bracing in the way under the vehicle
Old 11-05-2006, 11:04 PM   #8
71swb4x4

If I had the space for a lift, I would save my pennies for a Rotary SmartLift. These things make for a clean look. They are easy to service too.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2006, 11:09 PM   #9
71swb4x4

More pics of the lift in action.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2006, 01:55 PM   #10
Boise69
The Hammer Man

HEY ONDREW... calling ONDREW your profile says you do concrete work, how about the pics above, can you do that kind of concrete worK??
Old 11-06-2006, 02:56 PM   #11
shifty
Questionable

My friend/coworker Chuck Higgins had his garage featured in the "Ultimate Garages" book. My other friend Craig is looking at putting a lift in his garage. This is what Chuck had to offer when I was pinging him about his lift:

shifty: Just want a couple answers: 2 post or 4 post? What make/model? Cost? Any complaints?

shifty: I'm curious to know if you installed it or paid someone else to do it. If you installed it, wondering how hard it was.

Chuck: I have the 'Rotary' brand 7000lb lift (2 post, asymetrical). it has been FLAWLESS, I highly recommend them

Chuck: I had it installed, but after watching the 70 year old guy they sent install it, anybody could do it.

Chuck: the trick was to use an engine hoist to stand up the verticals, then it all bolts together

Chuck: I think it was right around $2500 - a little expensive but worth every penny, and built like it will last a lifetime

shifty: that doesn't sound at all expensive. how is it put into the ground? Is it bolted to the floor? curious about the install. the thought of what that thing is going to hold up ... that's a lot of weight and i wouldn't want to play with a car over my head

Chuck: it needs a lot of vertical space, it's like 10' high...

Chuck: it's bolted to the slab with expansion bolts - the weight of the car ends up pretty close to balanced, so it doesn't want to lean that much...

Chuck: I made my slab thicker where it bolts, but Rotary said it's not necessary to do that.

Chuck: the feet to the supports have laser cut slots in them to allow them to be precisely aligned with each other... it's like 7 or 8 feet across though, plenty wide... look up rotarys 7k lift it should have details.

shifty: cool, thanks again

Chuck: NP. btw, Rotary makes a 9k lift, BUT the arms on this are bigger, so you can't put lowered cars on them easy.

Not sure if this tidbit of info helps, but it IS related, so I am sharing.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #12
Boise69
The Hammer Man

wow, yes i would say it helps! i thought it went into the floor, but not so? so if i ever sold my building and moved it would unbolt and could take it with? I'll check out their site and read up. thanks very much!!
Old 11-06-2006, 05:33 PM   #13
shifty
Questionable

The 7k Rotary as mentioned in mine just uses 4 toggle bolts on each leg, if I remember looking at Chuck's correctly, so you could absolutely take it out of the floor and move it.

It looks like the really cool discreet one that is a couple posts up actually goes into the floor though.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:27 PM   #14
roj2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boise69 View Post
In preperation of my re-store, i'm looking into lifts. I can't seem to decide if i want the type you drive up on and then press a button and it lifts the truck or the kind that you drive under and slide the arms underneath the truck and lift away. This seems like a simple decision but if one is going to do a complete body off resto which works the best for all one has to do? And finally is there a brand that stands above the rest? I'm looking ebay to get ideas but eventually would contact the manufacturer directly to order.

Is there rule of thumb so to speak on deciding on a lift. some tell me i need at least 4" concrete and i really dont know what the hell i have in my building but no issue there.

so to lift by the wheels or lift by the frame thats the question?

when i watch shows like TRUCKS he has both, i dont have room for both nor the desire.

Speaking from someone who has both:

A two-post lift is what you’re going to want. In addition to raising your entire truck you will find it useful for lifting virtually anything off of your truck. Bed cab exc. now granted I wouldn't use it to pull an engine unless it was on a unibody car "out the bottom" but I have used it too hold up project pieces while grinding and welding. I’ve also used it to flip my frame over and to put it on a rotisserie. In addition, if you’re pulling axles or cross members it's far safer to do it on a 2 post.

Ok so to further explain why a 2 post is so much better it's all about access. When it's down all you have to contend with is the arms that stick out when up virtually everything is accessible whereas with a 4 post the floor space is virtually wasted when the lift is not in use.

As for the concrete there is an easy way to check its depth. Barrow a hammer drill and drill a 1/2in hole in the floor close to where you're planning on putting the lift. Drill until you don't feel resistance. Don’t push too hard or you may not be able to tell the depth. When you feel the change stop drilling, clean around the hole with the bit still in it and mark the bit with tape or a permeate marker and pull it out. Measure the distance from the bottom of the bit to the mark you made. This is the depth of your concrete. Fill the hole with mortar, epoxy, or gummy bears it's your choice.
If all else fails and the concrete is too thin, let me know "I’m a concrete guy" and I’ll come in and redo it with 5/8's rebar, 10 guage wire mesh, and a trowel finish for a reasonable price.
roj2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:37 PM   #15
Blue85
Oilfield Trash

I'll be buying a 2 post lift for sure when i build my garage
80 GMC K10 High Sierra bone stock
70 Chevelle 350SS long term project
68 GMC 3ton Grain Truck/Garbage wagon
50 Pontiac 2 Door Coupe Project
"I've got a shotgun rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank Jr.
Blue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:41 PM   #16
Boise69
The Hammer Man

can i say... ondrew i'm glad i met ya!
Old 11-07-2006, 07:04 AM   #17
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Here is a generic picture of what I have........not ideal for brake jobs but I use them for my bigger trucks also. For a back yard shop with limited space.....a 2 post is the way to go !!!!!!!
Attached Images

72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:19 PM   #18
JRB

Im going with a Vangaurd VTP-11c Its a 11K two poster. Remember with a 2 post lift you get a lot more underside room to work and not as much stability. So take a look at the biggest vehicle your going to put on it and make your decision based on that, being the front and back weight distribution. Good luck with you decision.

JRB
JRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #19
l79m20

I bought a two post Rotary aysmetrical about 18 months ago and have found nothing that comes near it for use, and strength. I got it from an auction of a k-mart that was going out of business for the tidy sum of $800.00 and without a doubt the best money I have ever spent, if fact my first thought was "I should have bought this 20 years ago." Rotary is top notch and if you look through the business auctions you may find one fairly cheap!........Joe..................Never pay list!
l79m20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:52 PM   #20
timcos
Chief Honcho In Charge

Harbor Freight has one

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46604

Not sure of its usefulness...just saw a pic of it in their store ysterday.

1992 1500 4x4 Shortbed
1984 Ford F250 Supercab Longbed 6.9L Diesel
1972 K10 Cheyenne Super Fleetside Short Bed - 350 - A/C
1971 VW SuperBeetle
1960 Wife
1984 Son
1986 Son
1989 Son

Previous Trucks
1967 C10 SWB (1980-1981)
1971 C10 LWB (1998-2004)
timcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:49 PM   #21
Boise69
The Hammer Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcos View Post
Harbor Freight has one

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46604

Not sure of its usefulness...just saw a pic of it in their store ysterday.

Harbor freight?? If the wrench i buy and the castors i bought along with other things i've purchased from them break within.. ohh... a short time of use then i'm certainly not trusting my head with their lifts!! China freight is just too scary of an option for something this important.

1969 Chevy C-10 SWB 350/400 - drivable project

www.americanhammer.com

2013 MBZ Sprinter customized
2005 MBZ Sprinter Van
2004 Land Rover Discovery
2001 Yamaha Road Star
1997 MBZ E420
1989 Ferrari Mondial T
Old 11-07-2006, 07:03 PM   #22
High Speed low Drag

I have three rotary 9000 lb'ers. 1 of them aysmetrical. Got rid of a drive on rack because it became a work bench. Never used it.

To bad you're in Illinois. I've got one too many of these lifts.
High Speed low Drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:25 PM   #23
Boise69
The Hammer Man

hmmm, Virginia huh? well i have trucks and virginia is a nice place to visit this time of year. sending me a pm on the details please.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:37 AM   #24
jimfulco

The info I had said the 4-post lift was OK with a 4" slab, but the 2-post required 6".
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:16 PM   #25
btp76

I have a two post rotary at the shop. I'm thinking of using a four post at the house so it can be moved around.
btp76 is offline   Reply With Quote