The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
68jimmy

Kickdown cable setup with performer manifold

Since the install of my engine I have never setup the transkickdown cable. Last weekend I broke down and purchased a new edelbrock performer manifold. I have a bracket for the kickdown that attaches via the two rear manifold bolts. But when I have the cable attached to the throttle and I work the throttle the cable seems to bend and bind up. for those of you who have the performer and a th350 what did you use to support your kickdown cable? By the way I have the throttle rod setup...

Thanks in Advance!
donovan
Old 11-09-2006, 05:20 PM   #2
68jimmy

Re: Kickdown cable setup with performer manifold

TTT... anybody?

tx.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:04 PM   #3
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I'd like to know too. I just ended up cutting the heck out of my original one to get it to fit, but it's not very stable. Probably should check with summit or edelbrock for whats available. It's got to be one of the most common set ups out there.

HG
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:54 PM   #4
SideStepper

I will be 3rd in line, I also need to know.
I have the same setup exactly, with a Q-Jet Carb. Does anyone know what kickdown cable part number is the best to use?
68jimmy, good question, thanks for bring this subject up.
SideStepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:02 PM   #5
70c10
67-72 Addict!

This is not my truck but it may help you guys!
Attached Images

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:23 PM   #6
mrein3

As long as I had a new Edelbrock 1406 carb and performer manifold I looked for other Edelbrock pieces when I put my 383 together.

Somebody on this board said I should get a "throttle rod stud" to work with my throttle rod. I also bought an Edelbrock, adjustable kick-down cable bracket. I used one hole that I think is normally used for a throttle cable to hold my aftermarket cruise control. The square hole is made for the th350 kick-down cable. Sorry it isn't real clear in the pictures. In a 4x4, the engine sits really far back and is hard to get any digi-shots of stuff back there.

I hope the pictures help.

The kick-down cable was off of a 1971 Monte Carlo that had a 350 engine, 2bbl carb, and a th350. I believe ALL th350 kick-down cables are the same, truck or car. The difference is in the bracket.

To adjust the cable, attach it to the carb, lift up the little plastic "gate" right behind where it sits in the bracket, move the carb to WOT, then push the gate down.
Attached Images

Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:52 PM   #7
68jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68jimmy View Post
Since the install of my engine I have never setup the transkickdown cable. Last weekend I broke down and purchased a new edelbrock performer manifold. I have a bracket for the kickdown that attaches via the two rear manifold bolts. But when I have the cable attached to the throttle and I work the throttle the cable seems to bend and bind up. for those of you who have the performer and a th350 what did you use to support your kickdown cable? By the way I have the throttle rod setup...

Thanks in Advance!
donovan
Well after much trial and error I believe that I have found the solution. I purchased a Spectre throttle/AT cable bracket at Napa for $16. It mounts on the rear stud of the carb and comes with two different AT cable angle brackets. After installing I was still having an issue with binding. After cursing at the truck gods I noticed that the AT cable end was ever so slightly bent. I corrected that with a hammer and a block of steel. After that I re-attached the cable to the carb, adjusted the cable as mentioned earlier and all seems good. The cable moves freely and when on the freeway it works great! gotta love it... If someone needs some up close pics let me know and I post em up. Have a great one!
Old 11-12-2006, 08:59 PM   #8
SideStepper

Yes, pics please if you got em. Also, if you have a NAPA part # for the Spectre bracket. What kickdown cable are you using?
It must be nice to have those carb secondaries to throttle up!
SideStepper is offline   Reply With Quote