The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2006, 07:30 PM   #1
skchevota

Ok lets try this again!

Apperently i cannot ask what somthing is worth soooooo, is it more cost efective to shorten my LWB bed ( that is in great condition) or sell it and by bed sides. I am not asking what the bed is worth or trying to sell it! Im just not sure which way to go. If I shorten the bedsides I will be doing it my self so that wont be a cost factor, and i dont need the LWB bed floor, so the Question I am asking is more of a vote. Sell the bed whole and buy new sides, or canbulize the bed and cut up the sides. The latter way is almost free!
skchevota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:02 PM   #2
71swb4x4

Re: Ok lets try this again!

If it was mine I would sell the bed and buy a short bed. Those are long welds, and you have four of them to do. If you get part way through and decide it would be better to buy the short bed you don't have much to sell anymore.

I know there is at least one board member who cut their longbed down. Try doing a search and asking them questions.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:08 PM   #3
1969k10stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
If it was mine I would sell the bed and buy a short bed. Those are long welds, and you have four of them to do. If you get part way through and decide it would be better to buy the short bed you don't have much to sell anymore.

I know there is at least one board member who cut their longbed down. Try doing a search and asking them questions.
A bed can be cut down but it very time consuming(sp) and measurements need to be correct.I am in the same situation w/ my 71 short bed k10 and I am just getting a new bed.Shortbeds arent cheap but is well worth it unless you are very good at body work and have the patience to do it.Try looking for cheap swb truck that has a nice bed on it.Thats how must people get a different bed than just looking for a swb bed alone.

Last edited by 1969k10stepside; 11-09-2006 at 08:09 PM.
1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:24 PM   #4
sick69

just out of curiousity couldn't you just order the bed sides for a swb and use the longbed front panel,tailgate and wheel wells? then all you would have to cut is the floor. i could be wrong
sick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:39 PM   #5
my67C10

Im all for cutting the long bed into a short bed. matter fact i posted a thread just yesterday about how i am planning on making a short wheel base out of my long wheel base. the only problem is that i dont have a welder where my truck is located at, but my grandpa does have a line feed welder at his house about 2 miles away. i dont mean to make anybody mad or sore but i really hate the look of the long bed, the short bed realy screams ground pounder when its got a 4-6" drop. if you do decide to make a shortbed out of your long bed let me know and we can do it together, im sure that it will help the both of us if we do it at the same time.
my67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:08 PM   #6
CG
BlahBlahBlah

You are a site supporter, there should be no restrictions on asking that question here. Pm one of the mods. I always pm Liz when I have a question....she is the cutest mod/admin

Never hurts to go for more brownie points =)

I just saw your other thread....Maybe you just became a subscriber?...just ask the question over on the parts board like the moderator posted in the other thread you started.

Last edited by CG; 11-09-2006 at 11:26 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:19 PM   #7
HuggerCST

I would probably try to find a shortbed, but if you've got the time and patience, cutting down the longbed would be cheaper. By the way, since you are a site supporter, you can ask what something is worth, but only on the classified, or for sale boards. Many people try to get around having to support the site and pay to sell by posting the stuff that they want to sell under the heading "what's it worth", so if there is any question, it is deleted, and has to go in the for sale section. Your other post must have given the impression that the bed may be for sale, and in that case, needed to be on the for sale board anyway. Really, all what's it worth threads are supposed to go in the for sale section, but some are left alone if they are obviously not trying to sell something. I hope that makes sense.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com

Last edited by HuggerCST; 11-09-2006 at 11:27 PM.
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:20 AM   #8
skchevota

Yes, I did just become a site supporter, I did not think you had to to ask what somthing was worth but I see what you guys meen about people trying to sell stuff that way, comeon it just 25 bucks for a year, if you have a bunch of stuff to sell it would cost more than that on E bay over a years time and this is much better. any way I am seeming to find that even a perfect condition long bed isnt worth more than like $500 , SWB bed sides are a grand so even if I dont use the rest of the bed it is starting to look like I might just do some cutting. I was hopeing I could sell the bed complete and make close to what it would cost for just the new sides, since that is all I am going to use, o well. Now I will start to get the hate mail for killing a perfectly good longbed .
Old 11-10-2006, 09:58 AM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I would at least look around for a short bed and see what you can come up with. You might get lucky and stumble across a decent bed, or even a complete parts truck. Sell what you don't use and maybe mae a buck or two.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:05 AM   #10
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

I would look for a short bed first, buy SWB bed sides second, and cut the LWB bed as a last resort. Cuting yours will save you money, but buying a complete bed or bedsides and just cutting the floor will save your sanity!!

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:52 PM   #11
powell72

The only problem is FINDING a short box in this area.

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:41 PM   #12
skchevota

I just saw a short box today up near Cheyenne, I think it is forsale, I will have to see how much. It looked complete but not a runner. If it is cheap I could part out the rest ?
Old 11-10-2006, 08:46 PM   #13
cdowns

more cut down longbeds end up in the dumpster than actually on the road as completed shortbeds
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote