The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Talking Spiders in my shop

Found all these spiders in my shop last night

Having a little trouble identifying their species but the good thing is they are now out making way for the Detroit locker for the 14 bolt going into my 70 K5.

Everything I read said the swap was pretty easy and that is definitely true - the hardest part so far has been getting the ring gear bolts torqued to 120 ft/lbs - having a hard time using my vise to secure the carrier to allow me to torque the bolts enough.

Does anyone know if I need to use any sealant on the 8 bolts that the hold the axle shafts to the hub? When I pulled those bolts they seemed to have something on them and there was a little blue RTV visible on the back side of the axle flange when I pulled the axles away from the hubs.

The materials I read about installing the locker didn't mention using any sealant in that area.

Last edited by Yukon Jack; 06-24-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:00 PM   #2
Livrat
Member #1049

Re: Spiders in my shop

Those "10 toothed" spiders are fairly rare in the 67 - 72 world.. usually found only if transplanted... They are fairly harmless.. but occasionally will "blow up".. they spend most of their lives hidden away swimming round and round in stinky oil..

On a serious note... Not sure if a 14 bolt has "blind" holes in the hubs, On the Dana 60's and Eaton's H052/72's the holes are open, on those be sure to use liquid teflon thread sealant on the bolts..
There should be sealant behind the axle shaft to hub.. sometimes there is an aluminum shim/gasket.. I normally just use RTV there...
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Thanks, I picked up the flange gaskets a couple minutes ago and as the bolts appeared to have some sealant on them (or some really funky gummed up gear oil), I will clean the bolts up and put a bit of thread sealant on them.

And about that stinky oil - I drained the gear oil more than a year ago and when I went out to the shop this morning I was hit with that stink even though very little gear oil was left in the axle tubes - doesn't take much of that stuff to stink to high heaven.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:59 PM   #4
Blazer1970

You did take the thrust washers out of the case halves where the side gears seat didn't you? The locker will be permanently locked if you did not. They like to hide down in there.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Are the side gears the two large gears or are the side gears the 4 small gears? The 4 small gears each had a round curved washer that I removed. When I removed the two large gears, each side had a large flat washer under it that I removed. I didn't see anything else to remove - should I disassemble and look for something else?
Old 11-12-2006, 08:51 AM   #6
Blazer1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack View Post
Are the side gears the two large gears or are the side gears the 4 small gears? The 4 small gears each had a round curved washer that I removed. When I removed the two large gears, each side had a large flat washer under it that I removed. I didn't see anything else to remove - should I disassemble and look for something else?
Yup, I am talking about the washers under the large gears. I can see the washer in your picture now that I look closer. Sometimes they stick in the case halves and the DL instructions do not mention them at all. You are good to go.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:18 PM   #7
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Glad you mentioned it - I got this locker used so I didn't have instructions. The instructions I found on the web from various individuals sure helped and one of them did mention removing washers but I was wondering as I put the Detroit in if these should stay or go. I removed them but nice to know for sure now that they should be gone.

Got the spring perches welded on Saturday and I now have the ring gear bolts all torqued down - now I just need to slide it backin place after a little clean up.