The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2006, 04:29 PM   #1
flatblack67c-10

flush mount glass???

hey guys, anyone ever attempted this?? i was wondering how much of the glass needs to overlap the metal so the urethane will properly hold... i kinda test fitted both the windshield and the back glass with no rubber and the back glass seems like there will be enough metal there to hold, but im not sure about the windsheild...thanx in advance for any replies
was 67 chevy swb fleet now muticolored 69 step, 350/350, 3.73 posi, converted to 5 lug, torq thrust II 17x8 front 17x9.5 rear, factory air cab, fuel cell. future plans: shaved wiper cowl, shave stake pockets, phantom grille, and silver paint...
68 camaro ss396 project
54 f*rd project truck
flatblack67c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:14 AM   #2
flatblack67c-10

Re: flush mount glass???

come on, nobody's tried this? i think it would look killer.
was 67 chevy swb fleet now muticolored 69 step, 350/350, 3.73 posi, converted to 5 lug, torq thrust II 17x8 front 17x9.5 rear, factory air cab, fuel cell. future plans: shaved wiper cowl, shave stake pockets, phantom grille, and silver paint...
68 camaro ss396 project
54 f*rd project truck
flatblack67c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:18 AM   #3
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

I am thinking about doing it to my Blazer. I do not have a windshield to sit in the opening but I am thinking that the flange will have to be brought out some and the windshield opening closed up but I could be wrong but could be done very easily with some welding skills.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:10 AM   #4
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72CSTC5 View Post
I am thinking about doing it to my Blazer. I do not have a windshield to sit in the opening but I am thinking that the flange will have to be brought out some and the windshield opening closed up but I could be wrong but could be done very easily with some welding skills.
You are right on track with your thoughts. The wind shield opening it self will need to be brought in so you have about 3/16" gap between the edge of glass. The body then you will also need to build up the lip that your glue sits on so the glass will flush with the body once it is installed. I would then look into some of the new vehicals and find a nice small plastic cap that is used to bridge the gap between the glass and body for a nice smooth finished look. I have checked out alot of cars that this has beed done on and talked to even more builder about doing it and yes it can be done but is the cost and time really worth it? I can do it my self but I am not convinced yet because it would be out of place with the door glass still set back inside the body. It would look unbalanced I think with the front and rear glass flush but your side windows set back inside

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote