The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2006, 03:13 PM   #1
71chevylowrider

need help on a Demon Carb

I finally got more info on this Road Demon that I'm gonna put on my truck, the previous owner, he had it for three years & could never get it to idle the way he wanted it to, he said he thought the butterflies on the primary would never sit at the same height/open position therefore making the idle irregular, he said it wasn't much, maybe 100-200Rpm's, I'm not sure that I'm as picky as he was about the idle, I have a pretty Lumpy cam so I do't think it will bother me that much, I've heard alot of good things about these carb's so i do want to try it out, he seemed to think the shaft through the butterflies wasn't bushed or anything, just throgh a hole & that's why it would never sit the same each time, anybody familiar with this? I can buy this Road Demon for $150

Last edited by 71chevylowrider; 11-14-2006 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Too long of title, got no responses
71chevylowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
70rs/ss

Re: need help on a Demon Carb

You can have demon rebuild it to factory specs, so if there is an issue they will fix it. I think $150 might be too much for a malfunctioning carb, but it's your money. If he is a buddy, have him let you bolt it on and try it, that way you know what you're getting into, if you like, buy, if not, walk!!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:16 PM   #3
71chevylowrider

Re: Okay I need some info from You Demon Carb Guys

I like the way you think 70S/SS I have the carb, I'm gonna try it out before I pay him for it, I agrre with you, I just told him today if I pay him $150 & spend another $30-$40 for fittings/jets braided hose, whatever, & it still doesn't sork right I'd be better off spending $350-$400 & buying a Speed Demon from someplace that sells them & dials them in for ya. You've replied on a few of my possts & I always appreciate your advice/knowledge, thanks man, oh & where the heck do you park all thoe rides on your signature? I think we need to see some pictures of your stable.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
70rs/ss

in-laws, the front yard (BTW the neighbors love me, yeah right!) Check out my post for the 69-70 short stepper in this forum. Good luck with the carb, I'd guess it'll need some tuning cause out of the box performance is a crock!! I live at 5k ft in elevation, so nothing out of the box works here. Just get in touch with Barry Grant and they can tech you on the phone or you send it in and they can rebuild/check out the secondary thing. If I remember, there is a screw to adjust the secondary butterfly, but you need it off to access it and it may be what is holdeing the secondaries open and causing the surge, just a thought, GOOD LUCK!!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
71chevylowrider

I was thinking by what the the po said was, that it ran great wide open, he just couldn't get it to stabalize at idle, heck with my big Cam & the bumpity bumpity sound at idle anyway, I might not even notice, he's older & picky & didn't have a motor that was modified as much as mine, he said it was only 100-200 rpms difference at idle, & he thought it was the choke flapper (I'm sure that's not what is called) he said it wouldn't come down & sit at the same hight everytime, & he was torked cause there was no bushings on that flapper's shaft to make it slide/glide better, (heck i don't even know if he had the electric choke hooked up/set right, so I just have to bole it on & play with it, if it's screwed up, i won't buy it, I'll throw my 1406 bakc on & save up for a 650 street Demon & have it dialed in for my motor, thanks man!