The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2006, 02:27 AM   #1
nandress

67-68 Aftermarket Grill Surround Trim

A while back we bought a new pair of the grill surround trim pieces from LMC, and weren't expecting the tin foil crap they turned out to be. They fit around the grill openings just-ok, but they sure were flimsy and I am really surprised how much they returned to normal shape when bolted on. But the funny part is that the clip-studs telegraph through!! The photo shows just how wavy they are.

Anyway, I want to get a feel for other people's experiences with the aftermarket stuff that is available. Are the ones from LMC the same as everywhere else? Does anyone know of something better?

We are planning (later on) to take the time and spend the money to get originals straightened and plated to replace the garbage we put on. Does anyone have words of experience here, or know of a really good trim straightener who could help us out?

Last edited by nandress; 01-02-2007 at 12:15 AM.
nandress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:35 AM   #2
1BadSS
NOT REALLY BANNED!

Re: 67-68 Aftermarket Grill Surround Trim

I personally cant stand LMC's parts, they're overpriced and low quality.

Sorry to hear about your luck, check out Chevy duty.

I can drive to LMC in 5mins to get my order or 30mins to Chevy Duty, and I never fail to go to Chevy duty each time.
68 C20 LWB stripper truck
73 K5 Cheyenne
76 C20 Sierra Crew SRW
88 K20 Suburban

I'm not hammering on metal just to hammer, i'm creating a piece of art.
1BadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:59 AM   #3
nandress

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadSS View Post
I personally cant stand LMC's parts, they're overpriced and low quality.

Sorry to hear about your luck, check out Chevy duty.

I can drive to LMC in 5mins to get my order or 30mins to Chevy Duty, and I never fail to go to Chevy duty each time.
I haven't had much bad luck with LMC's stuff... Does Chevy Duty sell something different? Sorry, but I wasn't much impressed with Chevy Duty when I stopped in there one time. Didn't find them to be any different than half a dozen other vendors out there.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:09 AM   #4
1BadSS
NOT REALLY BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandress View Post
I haven't had much bad luck with LMC's stuff... Does Chevy Duty sell something different? Sorry, but I wasn't much impressed with Chevy Duty when I stopped in there one time. Didn't find them to be any different than half a dozen other vendors out there.
LMC is 35% more expensive than Chevy Duty along with that, they're providing poor parts, compared to any other dealer here.
68 C20 LWB stripper truck
73 K5 Cheyenne
76 C20 Sierra Crew SRW
88 K20 Suburban

I'm not hammering on metal just to hammer, i'm creating a piece of art.
1BadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:14 AM   #5
krue
Designated A-hole!

Check with any of the board vendors, they'll tell you what they sell. Tim Christian is a stand up guy. I've also dealt with GMCPaul. Wes at Classicheartbeat is good too.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:32 AM   #6
nandress

I didn't ask this question to start a pissing match about who's the better vendor! We all have our favorites, but the fact is that 95% of the parts are exactly the same no matter where you get them from.

What I want is experience with this specific part! (I've spent 15 years researching parts, and now I want to relax and not have to go through that motion just to get folks' opinions. In just a few minutes I find that Classic Parts--Chevy Duty--claims theirs are made from original tooling, but their photo looks a lot like the ones I got from LMC.)
Old 11-19-2006, 03:43 AM   #7
krue
Designated A-hole!

My point is that if you call Tim Christian (or any of the other board vendors), he will tell you whether the part he sells is junk or not. You can call him or not, it's up to you.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:58 AM   #8
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

but for your idea of finding original hoops and having them plated. that is the way to go IMO. most plating shops have the ability to fix small imperfections. of course quality comes with cost. call around and check with some. maybe even go check out thier work or ask around at car shows.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:34 PM   #9
qksilver

I always wonder when I hear that they use original tooling. Was it the tooling that was worn out ..............that they were able to sell it for more than scrap or.
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:39 PM   #10
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

nandress, I have a couple of sets of the old anodized aluminum grill surrounds. These are relatively thick but not indestructible. I have done some bodywork on them, removed the annodizing and polished them. It is a TON of work. I think there are people that do this work and are quite good at it. I would be curious to see what they charge for this service if you run across them. I am sure that finding a good set of steel pieces and having them blasted and chromed would be less expensive. I gave a set to former board member desert rat (even paid the shipping) and did not even receive a thanks...won't ever do that again!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:46 PM   #11
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by krue View Post
Check with any of the board vendors, they'll tell you what they sell. Tim Christian is a stand up guy. I've also dealt with GMCPaul. Wes at Classicheartbeat is good too.
Dealt with the last two listed, and both were incredibly pleasant experiences, they get my business before LMC.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote