The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
pimperout

lotsa backfiring?

you know when you have a standard and you shift down and let the truck slow its self down while you still have some higher rpms it makes that cool sounding crackling sorta backfireing, well my truck does that some times and its an automatic in drive so im just not sure if its mabe timeing or something, also i just noticed it after i got headers on it so is it just nothing or is it not so good or is it very bad?
pimperout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:29 PM   #2
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Re: lotsa backfiring?

Check your timing. Check to make sure your plug wires are not laying on the headers.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:49 PM   #3
Slammed70

What kind of muffler(s) you running?

Might be a backpressure problem, I had that problem with an S-10 I threw a 396 in. It would backfire the second I let off the gas and keep at it till I gat back on the gas.

It was custom 2in longtube-ish headers and straight pipes. It stopped back firing a bit after I put some bullet mufflers on it....then I installed an H-pipe and some 18" tips and it never back fired again.
Slammed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:10 PM   #4
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

low exhaust back pressure (created by adding headers) can induce a vacuum in the cylinders during certain rpms. having a cam with larger overlap aggrevates this. what is happening is fresh fuel/air mixture is being drawn in through the cylinder and burning when it hits the hot exhaust valves or header tubes. not only does it make noise it also wastes fuel and overheats the valves. circle track guys tend to like this as the engine does not have to wait for a fresh charge when leaving the corners.
try advancing the timing 2* and leaning the idle (if it will accept it without idling problems) a little bit. test drive and repeat if necessary. you could also go up a notch in octane rating. (higher octane = slower burn)
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:23 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

another common problem with headers, and can cause a bang upon deceleration, is an exhaust leak.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:43 AM   #6
pimperout

i have some i think they are either bluebottles or cherrybombs not sure they were on the truck wen i bought it all i know is they are illegal here cuz they dont have chambers in them which you must have here in canada so it could be the not enough pressure in the pipes problem?
Old 11-26-2006, 03:45 AM   #7
pimperout

oh ya and also i have 1 plug that slightly touchs 1 of the pipes on the headers it melted slightly like half a milimeter just enought to be a cosmetic problem (i think) but i cannot push it in on the plug any more