The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2006, 02:12 AM   #1
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

power steering leak

ok, yet another thread...

i'm having a power steering leak. i know my pump is leaking because i can see a puddle underneath it when its parked and see fluid on the back of the pump. i was planning on replacing that.

my question is, is my power steering box going bad too??? the bottom of it is pretty damp and moist. where exactly do those usually start leaking from???

i'm wondering if it is just running down the hose from the pump and running to the bottom of the box???
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:14 AM   #2
grinch4om
dang its hot

Re: power steering leak

clean all of it with brake clean,drive it and watch where the fluid emits. seal above pitman arm is usually where it leaks. It could be running down hose, clean and observe
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:27 AM   #3
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinch4om View Post
clean all of it with brake clean,drive it and watch where the fluid emits. seal above pitman arm is usually where it leaks. It could be running down hose, clean and observe
thats where it looks like its coming from, the area above the pitman arm
Old 11-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
grinch4om
dang its hot

your need to replace the output shaft seal,be sure to flush the steering box and pump to get rid of minute contaminates. If you don't have a pitman arm puller, some places,(auto zone) rent them. When you use the puller, tighten the puller, whack on the arm with a hammer, don't hit the tool, just the arm, be precise, tighten, whack,tighten,whack
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

When my power steering box leaked, the fluid would drip down to the output shaft and pitman arm nut. The leak was actually coming from the input shaft. Replacing the input shaft seal solved the leak.

If it is the seal on the output shaft and the pitman arm has to be removed, I hesitate to use a hammer on it for fear of damaging the ps box internals. When I had to remove the pitman arm, I used the tool grinch4om suggests. I was able to remove the arm without using a hammer. (I guess I'm not the norm when it comes to hammers. )

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:20 PM   #6
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

i need to replace my pitman and idler arms anyway