The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2006, 04:40 AM   #1
turbochevy

GEN III Chevy Small Block Install

Has anyone completed this swap? I see Brothers has the motor mounts available. I am wondering if there is another member that has done this swap with sucess and if there are pics available of the work completed.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:42 AM   #2
Misstur_big

Re: GEN III Chevy Small Block Install

What ever you need to know I'll try to help you with.
Mine is a Gen 3 with a 4L60E and a 3.73 posi 1967
Attached Images

Misstur_big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:52 AM   #3
turbochevy

My biggest questions right now are motor mounts, I asked the same question in another thread. I am looking very hard at the Brothers set up, it looks well done and complete. This is the only area where I just do not have the time or patience to deal with figuring out what, where, and how.....everything else is pretty straight forward.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:26 PM   #4
Misstur_big

The only problem I had with the mounts was using the small block towers. It wouldent have hurt for the engine to be set back another 2 inches. I amnot sure how to deal with this unless you had them custom made. Of course then you have the issue of the oil pan hiting the cross member so there may be no way around this. My mounts came from Street and strip and they are basically adapter plates that bolt on the block and allow you to use stock mounts and towers. My engine came out of a 4x4 and the pan sump just fit in front of the crossmember. Does your engine have the sump in the rear? If so, I think you would be better off setting the engine back a bit. Since mine is not an LT I am going to differ this question to someone who has installed a LT or LS
Misstur_big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:43 PM   #5
turbochevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misstur_big View Post
The only problem I had with the mounts was using the small block towers. It wouldent have hurt for the engine to be set back another 2 inches. I amnot sure how to deal with this unless you had them custom made. Of course then you have the issue of the oil pan hiting the cross member so there may be no way around this. My mounts came from Street and strip and they are basically adapter plates that bolt on the block and allow you to use stock mounts and towers. My engine came out of a 4x4 and the pan sump just fit in front of the crossmember. Does your engine have the sump in the rear? If so, I think you would be better off setting the engine back a bit. Since mine is not an LT I am going to differ this question to someone who has installed a LT or LS

mine came out of a Hummer H2, it has the pick up in the rear of the motor. I am planning to move the motor back as far as I can for clearance later for the turbo intercooler.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:22 PM   #6
ChevyFan24

I purchased the Early Classic Enterpises GEN III motor mounts. They just arrived yesterday. I will install tonight and post a picture later if you would like.
ChevyFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:16 PM   #7
turbochevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyFan24 View Post
I purchased the Early Classic Enterpises GEN III motor mounts. They just arrived yesterday. I will install tonight and post a picture later if you would like.
PERFECT!! Thanks!
Old 11-28-2006, 05:25 PM   #8
billyjo

I know that the ECE mounts won't work on a 4wd Blazer.

1972 K/5 4x4, Radixed LS1 6.0, 428HP/445TQ, Lingenfelter GT2-3 cam, WCCH 90mm J-Tube, LS2 90mm TB, Stainless Works Headers, NV4500, 4.56 gears, Detroit Lockers, 14 bolt FF, Dana 60, 4 wheel disk Hydro Brakes, dual electric fans, Autometer guages, 4" lift, Zero Rates, Weld Evo Velocity XT8 wheels, 35x12.5x17 Super Swamper SSR's.....
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...tos/?start=all
billyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:54 PM   #9
turbochevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjo View Post
I know that the ECE mounts won't work on a 4wd Blazer.
Hey billjo, BlownChevy from performancetrucks.net!
Old 11-28-2006, 06:02 PM   #10
billyjo

I wondered but when I saw the "turbo" I figured no way. If you decide you want to use the ECE mounts I have a set that maybe we can trade something for if your interested.

1972 K/5 4x4, Radixed LS1 6.0, 428HP/445TQ, Lingenfelter GT2-3 cam, WCCH 90mm J-Tube, LS2 90mm TB, Stainless Works Headers, NV4500, 4.56 gears, Detroit Lockers, 14 bolt FF, Dana 60, 4 wheel disk Hydro Brakes, dual electric fans, Autometer guages, 4" lift, Zero Rates, Weld Evo Velocity XT8 wheels, 35x12.5x17 Super Swamper SSR's.....
Old 11-28-2006, 06:03 PM   #11
turbochevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjo View Post
I wondered but when I saw the "turbo" I figured no way. If you decide you want to use the ECE mounts I have a set that maybe we can trade something for if your interested.
I think they will work, what do ya need??
Old 11-28-2006, 06:45 PM   #12
billyjo

PM sent

Old 11-28-2006, 11:25 PM   #13
ChevyFan24

Here are pics of the ECE Gen II motor mounts. I just have them in place with old bolts to mark the bottom holes to drill. The top holes line up but it appears that I do have to drill the lower ones. Nice clearance on the left side but I will need to notch the top of the right frame around the a/c lines with the factory a/c compressor on the 5.3. The fan sits equal with the front frame crossmember. Hope these help.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2006, 11:28 PM   #14
ChevyFan24

And the engine location.
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2006, 12:27 AM   #15
turbochevy

nice, gives me an idea of what I am up against. Do you have a pic of the AC pump and the lines?
Old 11-29-2006, 09:53 AM   #16
shifty
Questionable

I have done the swap and I am using the ECE mounts also.

Click the link to the ls1tech thread in my signature for a 9-page long thread (and growing) with tons of picks. Click on the link of the make/model of my truck for an assload of pictures. I'm almost ready to fire up.

It is possible to fit A/C compressor/clutch in, but it is a damned tight fit. I just deleted mine, I'll worry about it later.

I can answer questions and give advice, but ... I don't post here that often anymore, so ... My recommendation to you is to go sign up and watch the Conversions/Hybrids forum at LS1tech, because you'll get a lot more help there than over here.

Be sure to familiarize yourself with the Search feature at this site, search for GenIII and you'll get a lot of pages. Look on the first page of my LS1tech thread in my signature for a link to other swaps and galleries covering this swap.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:02 PM   #17
turbochevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
I have done the swap and I am using the ECE mounts also.

Click the link to the ls1tech thread in my signature for a 9-page long thread (and growing) with tons of picks. Click on the link of the make/model of my truck for an assload of pictures. I'm almost ready to fire up.

It is possible to fit A/C compressor/clutch in, but it is a damned tight fit. I just deleted mine, I'll worry about it later.

I can answer questions and give advice, but ... I don't post here that often anymore, so ... My recommendation to you is to go sign up and watch the Conversions/Hybrids forum at LS1tech, because you'll get a lot more help there than over here.

Be sure to familiarize yourself with the Search feature at this site, search for GenIII and you'll get a lot of pages. Look on the first page of my LS1tech thread in my signature for a link to other swaps and galleries covering this swap.

I have been checkin it, thanks for the reply. Been a member of tech since 2003
Old 11-29-2006, 02:12 PM   #18
shifty
Questionable

nice

Saw your post over there

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:15 PM   #19
turbochevy

Quote:
nice

Saw your post over there
Been lookin at your thread, so far this looks pretty straight forward.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:23 PM   #20
shifty
Questionable

I literally think our trucks probably have one of the absolute most straight-forward plug-and-play installations for this swap. Seriously.

If there is an easier car out there to swap a GenIII motor into (that doesn't already come with one optional), I would like to hear it.

The only thing I know that has the aftermarket support for it is the Porsche conversion kits that Renegade Hybrids sells to make it totally plug-and-play, but it costs a hell of a lot more.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:53 PM   #21
turbochevy

Quote:
I literally think our trucks probably have one of the absolute most straight-forward plug-and-play installations for this swap. Seriously.

If there is an easier car out there to swap a GenIII motor into (that doesn't already come with one optional), I would like to hear it.

The only thing I know that has the aftermarket support for it is the Porsche conversion kits that Renegade Hybrids sells to make it totally plug-and-play, but it costs a hell of a lot more.
Good to know! Thanks.