The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
alfeefish

Fuel Cell

When relocating a fuel cell under the bed,can the fuel tank extend above the fram rail? If so how much?I'm looking for all the ground clearance I can geton a 67 with a 6 inch drop.
alfeefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
msgross

Re: Fuel Cell

should be able to stick up as high as your bed cross supports (2.5 inches maybe?) I will have to measure. Any higher than that and it will hit the bottom of the Wood bed. Not sure on steel. You have to leave room for the nozzle and sending unit so maybe 1.5-2" max.

Last edited by msgross; 11-30-2006 at 08:19 PM.
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:22 PM   #3
alfeefish

Thanks, I'm doing the stake pocket fill with a steel floor. Does that give me more room?
Old 11-30-2006, 08:22 PM   #4
BowTieOgre

HERE is a link to some info another member provided me. Hope it helps. Its a FuelCellGuy tank btw.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:30 PM   #5
skchevota

The bed supports on a steel floor are 3"
skchevota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:35 PM   #6
alfeefish

So mabe It can be 3'' above fram rail?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:54 PM   #7
shifty
Questionable

Basically, if you have a wooden bed (or possibly otherwise), the tank is not going to play nice if it sits higher than the top of the framerail.

How do I know? I installed a FuelCellGuy tank in mine. My bed supports (the crossbars) didn't have the proper padding underneath them, and i had to jack it up proper to make it all work.

As far as how far down it can hang - about as much as the framerail is tall. You should allow for some slope in the tank so the fuel will always pool on the same side as the tank.

As far as how low it hangs - don't forget, your framerails sit higher in the back than in the front. Chances are there ain't no way you're going so damned low that the bottom of your pumpkin/rear diff is going to sit up higher than the base of the tank. I have a 17gallon or something and my front xmember sits lower than the damned tank does.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:05 AM   #8
SactoJim

Here's some more shots of mine (BowTieOgre referred to) with the bed on. There is plenty of clearance between everything and when I fitted the rear bumper, the tank just about lines up with the bottom edge of the stock bumper. Stepping the tank like I did added about 4 extra gallons of fuel.

I'm very happy with how it turned out......Thanks to Fuelcellguy.
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread

Last edited by SactoJim; 10-04-2007 at 05:19 PM.
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:10 PM   #9
shifty
Questionable

Actually, thinking about this in greater detail, this setup could very well work for a stepside bed as well because of the notch. Does anyone know if the wood bed support and steel bed support on a SWB are in the same location?

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:03 PM   #10
alfeefish

What about triming the cross member 2'' or so for clearance? I'm not planing to haul any thing ?
Old 12-02-2006, 02:00 AM   #11
shifty
Questionable

Gotta worry about structural integrity then. Every hard bump is gonna potentially cause flex.