The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
misixtythree

Need info on converting a long bed to a short bed

I am new here and I just bought a '63 chevy stepside long bed...it needs work...first thing is I hate the long bed, it goes on for days. I have seen articles on cutting down the frame and converting a truck to a short bed. Does anyone know where on the 63 frame exactly the cuts should be made and how much (inches) of the frame to cut out? And does it make a difference because it's a stepside (wheel alignment)?
misixtythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
leftcoast66

Re: Need info on converting a long bed to a short bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by misixtythree View Post
I am new here and I just bought a '63 chevy stepside long bed...it needs work...first thing is I hate the long bed, it goes on for days. I have seen articles on cutting down the frame and converting a truck to a short bed. Does anyone know where on the 63 frame exactly the cuts should be made and how much (inches) of the frame to cut out? And does it make a difference because it's a stepside (wheel alignment)?
I know Totally Polished did the one which was in custom classic, I believe, and they have a bit about it on their website, and I read that next issue of Sport Trucks is gonna have a build up of doing that on a 67, which is same frame.
leftcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:03 PM   #3
misixtythree

Yep, that's the article I saw with Totally Polished. I tried to contact them but so far no luck. I didn't find the measurements on the website. I'll look for the Sports Truck upcoming article, thanks! I'm just itching to get working on it, since that will take some time to convert.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:34 PM   #4
Chevy Fleetside

Your better off just contacting a junk yard and see if they have a shortbed frame for you.. I believe you can use up to a 66 or even up to a 72 frame... Might need to do a little fab work to get the 72 frame to work. Maybe just change frame mounts and front bumper mounts also..
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:37 AM   #5
leftcoast66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fleetside View Post
Your better off just contacting a junk yard and see if they have a shortbed frame for you.. I believe you can use up to a 66 or even up to a 72 frame... Might need to do a little fab work to get the 72 frame to work. Maybe just change frame mounts and front bumper mounts also..
through 72 is same frame if you get a trailing arm one. Some came w/ leaf springs and those I believe are different.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:40 PM   #6
misixtythree

The front end has already been converted to a Silverado suspension with disc brakes and I would prefer not to transfer everything over to another frame so that is why I am looking at cutting it down.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:27 AM   #7
60 GMC

Just a basic overview of whats involved to shorten a longbed frame.
When my dad shortened his 67 frame he cut 12 inches on the flat part between the trans crosmember and the trailing arm crossmember,remeber to keep the part with the vin numbered attached, it came pretty close to being eliminated. Then you just move the back cabs mounts back to where they belong. You also need to cut some off the end of the frame. When you cut frame have it so the two halves interlock,the more weld area you have the less chance for failure in my mind,boxing wouldnt be a bad idea either. As long as everything is squared up and level you should have a problem doing this at home. Maybe someone who has a short bed down to the frame could provide measurements.
60 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:39 AM   #8
thekid54

Quote:
Originally Posted by misixtythree View Post
Yep, that's the article I saw with Totally Polished. I tried to contact them but so far no luck. I didn't find the measurements on the website. I'll look for the Sports Truck upcoming article, thanks! I'm just itching to get working on it, since that will take some time to convert.

I don't know if it's the same article that you are talking about, but there was a build up of truck on classictrucks.com where they converted a longbed to a short. Here's the article I'm thinking of: http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/cl...project_truck/
thekid54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:08 AM   #9
wild one
Registered.........

Saw your post, check out this link. It's part of the FAQ section on this board, great photos, diagrams, and measurements. Hope this helps. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=123624

Nothing is fool proof to a talented fool!

Popcorn:
Pops at exactly 444 degreese
Expands to 44 times it's original size
Has a 4 year shelf life
wild one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:06 PM   #10
misixtythree

Thank you! These sites definitely helped and answered my question.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:52 PM   #11
leftcoast66

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid54 View Post
I don't know if it's the same article that you are talking about, but there was a build up of truck on classictrucks.com where they converted a longbed to a short. Here's the article I'm thinking of: http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/cl...project_truck/
Yep, that's teh same truck. It turned out pretty good, but the tech articles faded away after a bit.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:26 PM   #12
Frizzle Fry

I'd do it. My brother and I are planning to shorten his '64, and eventually I'd like to do my Suburban. If you can weld it's less work than a frame swap IMO
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote