The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2006, 06:26 AM   #1
karl

suspension drop

i have a 75 c10. i want to drop the front 5 inches. is it better to use the 2.5 drop spindles w/2.5 drop springs or 3 drop spindles w/2 drop springs? if i use bags instead of springs up front what do i need for basic? do bags store well for time? thanks
karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: suspension drop

I am here to tell you that the 3" drop spindles and a 1" spring put my truck's nose just above the ground, the 2.5 inch springs might be too much. Just a thought.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:52 PM   #3
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Use the 2.5 inch spindles if you run 15" wheels. If you run the 3" drop spindles with 15s, you will probably have clearance issues with the wheel/LCA/caliper/

If you go over 15" on the wheels, go with the 3" drop spindles. They allow you to keep an additional ½" of suspension travel. With drop springs, I would want to keep as much travel as possible.

Slonaker

Slonaker
Old 12-04-2006, 02:36 PM   #4
boatpuller

slonakers right on. 3 inch spindles rubbed on control arms with my rally's. i ended up putting on 17's. you can drop front 5 inches, thats what i got. just gotta be careful driving your a arms are low.remember the old song by war? lowrider drives a little slower.i was driving lowriders when that came out....sheezus,i'm gettin old.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I am running 3" Bell tech drop spindles with 15" tires and rims. The offset is the important item with them. It is better to go to 17" rims for clearance, however, there is always a way around a mess.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
grinch4om
dang its hot

I have 3" drop spindles, 1" coils and had the ralley issue. solved it by putting 7" ralleys on front and the 8" on rear. using the same trim ring front and rear, you really can't tell. the rubbing takes place on the controll arm
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:40 AM   #7
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl View Post
i have a 75 c10. i want to drop the front 5 inches. is it better to use the 2.5 drop spindles w/2.5 drop springs or 3 drop spindles w/2 drop springs? if i use bags instead of springs up front what do i need for basic? do bags store well for time? thanks
I'm not sure what your asking about the bags storing well.

If you decide to go with bags, check out Suicide Doors (http://*****************/BagBracketsF...(FullSize).php) for the plates, cups and bags (i.e. Firestone 224c). You'll also need DOT air lines, fittings, valves (4 total), air tank, compressor, switches and air gauges. To cut costs, you could avoid the valves, compressor, switches (and possibly the air tank and gauges) and install the bags with schrader valves for a manual setup (no compressor/tank needed yet.) It's a bit unconventional, but it would get you going. Just a thought...

Good luck...

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote