The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
67stepside

Temp guage problem!!

I have a 67 that has been swithed over to a guage cluster. I have switched all of the wires in the cluster plug. When I turn on the key the temp guage jumps all the way to hot and as soon as it starts it goes back to cold. The wire from the guage goes to the ignition switch and then to the cluster. If I run a wire from a grounded temp sensor to the guage and bypass the ignition I can heat up the sensor and the guage will move as it is supposed to. Do I need to bypass the ignition for a proper hookup? Thanks
67stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:11 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Temp guage problem!!

-
It doesn't seem to me like there should be a separate wire to the switch. Shouldn't that be included in the wire loom and printed circuit on the back of the instrument panel?....

This will move it back to the top and maybe someone else will chime in.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:36 AM   #3
kbs71
71 rustless in texas

Go to this web site. http://www.geocities.com/chevroletc1070/wiringdias.html It's the wiring diagrams for our trucks in the "8 cylinder engine compartment" link, look for the 20DG wire coming from a octagon shape at the left front of the engine marked temp switch. It will go to the aft center connector for the firewall plug.
Now go to the "Instrument panel and bulkhead connector (part 1 of 2)" on the bottom left of the schematic is the bulkhead connector marked with an "A". On the upper "C" connector on the left side center connector you will see the 20 DG wire coming out and going all the way to the top right corner of the page.
Now go to "Instrument panel and bulkhead connector (part 2 of 2)" , and look at the top left and find the 20 DG wire again. Follow it to the ignition switch and then back out the same connector on the switch again as 20 DG. It will go to the "Cluster connector" mid page to the second from the top, left side connector. Looking to the right will show a "legend" of where each of those connectors goes to (the 4th one down says "temp ga lp". This is the connector on the circuit board on the back of your instrument cluster.
This is the proper wiring for the temp gauge. The reason it goes thru the ignition sw is so that it doesn't stay "hot" all the time. The gauge will only work when the ignition switch is on. It sounds like you have miswired the "Cluster connector" going to the circuit board.
Check the "Cluster connector on the (page 2 of 2) of the wiring diagram and make sure you have everything hooked up correctly.
If your still having problem, let me know, maybe I can help more. That is if this helped at all.

"No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why"

71 C-10 LWB presently in a perpetual state of disassembly
'96 Toyota (my work car)
'04 Mustang Convertable (wife's car & other money pit)
Latest aquesition and why my trucks still in the garage covered with junk..
2010 Aqua Blue metallic 6 speed Manual LS3 2SS/RS Camaro (I want one of these in my truck

FAQ here

VENDORS here

SUPPORT THE BOARD here

My second favorite SITE

Last edited by kbs71; 12-04-2006 at 12:40 AM.
kbs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:09 PM   #4
67stepside

Hey kbs71,
The problem is that the terminal on the back of the ignition is a ground and not a power wire. The power is fed from the fuel guage feed [#3] on the cluster connectoin. So I assume that the hotter the temp gets the more ground is sent through the sensor. When you turn the key to start it will give the guage full ground and the guage will slam to hot, when it starts then the guage will slam back to cold. The wiring diagram link that you gave only shows idiot lights and not guages. I have a 67 service manual that has 40,50 and 60 series trucks in it and it shows that the temp sensor wire does not go through the ignition switch with guages, but no diagram for a 10 series with guages. I also noticed that the brake warning light is wired the exact same way as the temp and the brake light comes on when you start and then it goes back off. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-05-2006, 11:53 PM   #5
67stepside

anyone???
Old 12-06-2006, 12:04 AM   #6
kbs71
71 rustless in texas

Hey I been "New" car shoppin with the wife for the past couple of days. Give me a day or two. I start back at work tomorrow night and will finally have some spare time to check this out.

"No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why"

71 C-10 LWB presently in a perpetual state of disassembly
'96 Toyota (my work car)
'04 Mustang Convertable (wife's car & other money pit)
Latest aquesition and why my trucks still in the garage covered with junk..
2010 Aqua Blue metallic 6 speed Manual LS3 2SS/RS Camaro (I want one of these in my truck

FAQ here

VENDORS here

SUPPORT THE BOARD here

My second favorite SITE
kbs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:49 PM   #7
67stepside

Ttt