The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2002, 06:40 PM   #1
mikep
Used to have a truck

Doing it myself

Ive been doing the bodywork on the 68 getting it ready to paint for the last few months. I figured I'd straighten it out and then take it down to a paint shop to get sprayed so it looks good. The other day I was feeling lazy and wondered what it would look like painted black. I went down to the paint store and picked up a quart of black lacquer, prepped the hood and shot it with black lacquer. I picked thehood because it was the worst panel on the truck when I started. It had Lots of surface rust, small dents and heavily oxidized original gold ( YUCK ) paint that looked like baby poop. So I figured if I could get the hood straight enough I could certainly get the rest straight enough for black. It turned out awesome. I used lacquer because its just so forgiving. It dries super fast. Get a bug in it, dont worry. sand it off and buff. No problem. Lacquer is the only way to go for garage paint jobs Ive got about 3 coats on it and its like a mirror after buffing. I figure with 2 1/2 gallons of the stuff and a good clear coat it'll be damn near show quality and it will cost me about $2000 less than having a comparable job done at a professional shop. If I can find the digital camera I'll snap a pic of it. Its not perfect but its pretty close and with better color sanding and a few more coats it'll shine like glass. Ive never had the guts to do a car black before but I think Ive got enough experience doing body work under my belt that its not quite so scarry any more.
Old 08-20-2002, 08:41 PM   #2
kaycee

Talking COOL

Get us some pics man.Wish I had the nerve to spray mine
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 09:02 PM   #3
AK70SWB

yeah lets see pic's!!!!!
you got bigger balls than me---i'm scared to paint mine, myself, more or less black!
hope it all turns out as good as the hood!!!1
andy
Old 08-20-2002, 09:35 PM   #4
big blue 72

Mikep,
Good job bud!
i painted my 72 GMC last year (metallic blue) and now i've got a 67/71 that i'm getting ready to paint and it dont fit in the garage either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Send us some pics!!!
big blue 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 01:17 AM   #5
minibike

I'm doing mine one part at a time in the garage. Painted two doors so far. No problem except runs with the new PPG clear coats. This stuff keeps flowing for about 20 minutes after being sprayed.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 08:18 AM   #6
Jwill41

This is a pic of my brother painting my bed last summer. It came out pretty well for an outside job. The rest of the truck was painted 5 years earlier. Real good match even though it is kept outside.

67 1/2 ton GMC short step side
68 1/2 ton Chevy long fleet side
72 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban
99 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban

founder (and only member) of the primer/clearcoat club
Jwill41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 10:12 AM   #7
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

mikep, What kind of gun did you use? I am dying to try the same thing...got lots of parts I want to spray and what can you screw up when you start with a $55 truck? You can always sand it off again until you get it right...how else you going to learn anyway?

Got that burb from CARS4567 yet? Keep up the great work man...pics?

BTW...that baby poop color is Ochre...and I never liked it until I saw it in high gloss monochrome with the engine block painted the same color...I was hooked. It's an OEM nostalgia thang!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)

Last edited by stllookn; 08-21-2002 at 10:16 AM.
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 10:34 AM   #8
Woody

I painted mine (Blue/white/blue/white) about 5 years ago. I signed up for an evening autobody class at the local Vo-Tech. It forced me to devote the time to the truck and the real bonus was i used their paint booth. I used the cross draft booth(their down draft booth was busy with a day class project) and was very happy with the results. I used Imron, covered up myself completely, and used a gas mask. A full fresh air resperator is recommended for use with Imron, but I didn't have access to one, so I painted from the udwind side, making sure I couldn't smell the paint. And yes you can smell Imron thru a paint gas mask. I had a few runs that you really don't notice. I used a Low pressure high volume paint gun (Habor Frieght special) and the like I said above it turned out great.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 10:38 AM   #9
stllookn

Last weekend at a party a long time Boeing airplane painter and former custom car painter told me to get an old Binks #7 (#3?) and spray lacquer. He said to forget about HVLP since it is much more prone to orange peel. He had some valid points about more air = better atomization and smaller drops, higher gloss with less sanding. I got to thinking that is perhaps why the basecoat/clearcoat is now the trend since EPA has all but outlawed the use of high atomization guns...good or bad. Any comments?

I have still not bought a paint gun but am getting very close...maybe I will just go borrow the neighbors gun and spray some test panels to see how much damage I can do!
Old 08-21-2002, 01:17 PM   #10
vfrdude

Don't be afraid to use single ot two stage urehanes. It cost more, but is more durable than laquer, you don't need as many coats, and can be sanded and painted again in a few hours if you mess up. You do need to use the proper ventilation mask, don't even attempt to spray without one!

My dad sprayed a bumper cover for my brothers Honda Civic and it turned out great! It was the first time he had ever used urethane (sp.?). It's all he's going to use from now on....

'95 Honda VFR750F

Used to have a '71 Chevy Stepside, Guards Red, Lowered 4" rear, 3" front, White Oak bed wood, 700R4 w/373 gears until some low life stole it!
vfrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 01:46 PM   #11
minibike

I have the harbor freight special too. It is the one with the cup on top and the purple anodized gun. There are two sizes, and mine is the bigger one (about a 20-25 oz cup). It works fine. The urethane clear coat flows really well...haven't had any trouble with orange peel. I have to second the respirator comment though. The guy in the picture is getting away with it due to being in open air, but these new paints are very toxic. Use nitrile gloves and a good respirator.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 03:15 PM   #12
stllookn

Good comments...all too aware of the respirator req's from HazMat training...always check the MSDS sheets now. Tool Town has a two gun gravity set (not HVLP however) for $99.95 (detail gun and big gun both gravity feed). I am thinking of trying those. I will probably go play with ORENCE1's guns before trying anything. Nothing like getting some guidance from a professional! I just don't think I need to spend $360 on a gun now...heck in my world that is almost a new truck....LOL!
Old 08-21-2002, 10:13 PM   #13
mikep
Used to have a truck

My baby poop isnt Ochre. Its gold. Mines a 68 anniversary edition that I am painting black. As I think Ive pointed out before I'm not too enamored with the gold and white paint scheme. I'm still looking for my digital camera to take a pic of the hood. It seems I'll be doing one panel at a time for the next few months then buffing it all at once. I picked up two gallons of ppg black lacquer for the project. since I cant really access a clean area to paint in the lacquer will do the trick much better than any enamel can given the circumstances.

I'm using a couple of 60's vintage Devillbiss JGA guns for the project that my grandfather used when he ran a body shop in Los Angeles. I rebuilt them a few years ago and they are certainly well up to the task. Ones a dedicated primer gun and the other I use for top coats. Ive painted a few cars under more controlled conditions but the lack of a decent sized shop precludes that. I have to make due with my somewhat dirty double garage so fast drying lacquer is where its at.
Old 08-22-2002, 02:22 AM   #14
stllookn

That's right, I remember now...you're the guy that covered up a 50th anniversary paint job!!!!!!!! LOL...it's your truck and you can do whatever you want with it. Until I knew there was any significance to them...I didn't like them much either.

Refresh my memory...what happened to the seats? Gave them away right?
Old 08-22-2002, 03:05 AM   #15
wxman1

I'll be starting to paint my 69 C10 P/U as soon as I get the
brake system re-worked. This truck apparently has some
rattle can enamel on it from the previous owner. I've heard
(someone mentioned painting with lacquer) that if you
spray lacquer over enamel that it will lift on you. I've also
heard that its not a problem as long as the enamel has cured.

Anybody got any experience with this?

Jim M.
wxman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 07:21 AM   #16
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

Quote:
Originally posted by Jwill41
This is a pic of my brother painting my bed last summer. It came out pretty well for an outside job. The rest of the truck was painted 5 years earlier. Real good match even though it is kept outside.

Get him a respirator! Never breathe in that junk. Your health is way too important.

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 12:16 PM   #17
mikep
Used to have a truck

I just ****canned the seat. It was beyond trashed. The springs were trashed, the foam was half gone and the upholstery looked like a family of rats had beeen living in it. I'm sure they had been. All that was usable was the frame. My neighbor GAVE me a newly reupholstered interior set from a 71 so thats whats in there now.

Lacquer over enamel will lift if the enamel hasnt fully cured. You'd be surprised how long it takes to fully cure enamel too. Either way a coat of primer / sealer in between takes care of the problem. BTW I use the cheapo non catalyzed dark grey ( black ) NAPA primer. You can spray a ton of it and as long as you arent expecting it to be your top coat for years it works fine.

It might not last as long as some enamels but I do like the way lacquer is dry almost as soon as it hits the surface. I buffed my hood out the next day.