The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
iluvmy72

different oil fixed the blow-by?!?!?!

My tired old 350 2 weeks ago had nothing but tons of blow-by when it started up.....I talked to my mechanic and he suggested that I change the oil with this combination.....he said to do an engine flush not once, but three times with a flush kit and standard valvoline oil each time......then he said to buy 2 bottles of valvoline max life and a bottle Mobile 1 synthetic and one bottle of Lucas oil stablizer. He said the Mobile 1 is awesome but it doesn't get the pistons lubbed like the maxx life can but he said the mobile one makes it a better oil. And the oil stableizer by Lucas thickens it. So I did all of that and wouldn't you know it, no more blow-by and I'm not burning oil like I was. It this a cheap trick or just something the engine was lacking. Because I can really feel the ponys and it runs so smooth now. I thought I was due for an engine rebuild. He also mentioned that a GM dealer is now using Max life and mobile 1 blend in their new cars once they reach the dealership. Anyone else heard of this?
iluvmy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:05 PM   #2
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

Re: different oil fixed the blow-by?!?!?!

I haven't heard, but am very interested to hear the experiences of other. My truck only lets out a puff of smoke on start up and that's it. I might have another problem though, probably valve seals.

Keep us posted on how it does when you get some more miles on it.
redz 1970 K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:17 PM   #3
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

You need to be aware of compatibility issues between oils especially mixing synthetics with non synthetics. I work for a Major oil co and blend oils in the lab on a daily basis. Some oils just don’t mix well with others and can cause the oil to gel. I can’t say for sure about your miracle mixture, I'm just saying its not a good idea to mix. Good luck
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:18 PM   #4
bobthecop

Quote:
Originally Posted by redz 1970 K5 View Post
I haven't heard, but am very interested to hear the experiences of other. My truck only lets out a puff of smoke on start up and that's it. I might have another problem though, probably valve seals.

Keep us posted on how it does when you get some more miles on it.
Sounds like valve stem seals, if nothing else is wrong with the engine leave it alone, I have a 1992 1500 4x4 with 210k miles and she puffs on on start up, was told by a chevy heavy line tech to do nothing, at least I know the valves are getting oil.
bobthecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:27 PM   #5
70rs/ss

Blowby can be caused by build up on the rings and flushing the motor three times proably cleaned up the rings a little and allowed them to seal up. Max life or any high mileage oil is supposed to condition old seal, gaskets etc so the valve stem seal thing could be helped out with using the the high mileage oils. Try it they are a little more than regular oil, so you won't be out much if it doesn't work and it won't hurt anything if it doesn't help. As for incompatable oils, I have never heard that and on every bottle of oil I've seen says it'll mix with anything, as a matter of fact the cheaper alternative to full synthetic is a blend of regular and synthetic from the manufaturer. I personally only use Royal Purple, but it says no compatibility issues and I had over 50k on the Yukon XL when I rolled it (and it was running perfect when I put it on the lid!)

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 12-15-2006 at 02:28 PM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
motopatzo

Your special blend must have temporarily sealed the rings to stop most of the blow-by. I quess if it works for a while, until you can rip the engine apart it would be ok. However, it will not fix the engine long term. When you have blow-by, the rings are not sealing fully, and some compression is bypassing into the crankcase.
motopatzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:53 PM   #7
cdowns

in the old days with old engines we'd just run 50weight oil till we blew the engine up to solve the problem
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:56 PM   #8
iluvmy72

And you already had the replacment engine built and ready to go with some beefed up roller rockers and high rise intake which the old one didn't have.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:26 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

my only question is on the engine flush X 3... that scares me. Wre we talking an engine flush where they dump solvent or kerosene into the motor? If so.... I highly advise to never to that again.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:39 PM   #10
iluvmy72

hey Longhorn.....how are ya man? You still roaring that caddy engine?
Old 12-15-2006, 09:09 PM   #11
Aarons72s

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
in the old days with old engines we'd just run 50weight oil till we blew the engine up to solve the problem
Hay I am doing that right now, been doing it for over 4 years! If I dont use some sort of 50 weight I have no oil pressure, bearings are wasted. As for engine flush, aint that similar to running the liquid b12 in the crankcase before an oil change? I ve done it like 3-4 times in mine and solved most of the blow by and the engine runs a whole lot better, well for a worn out 350 on its last miles. Heck It sealled the rings so well I only have to change #1 plug every couple of thousand miles, used to have to change a few others every few hundred. So it may be worth a shot.
Aaron
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:09 PM   #12
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

but of course i am...punishing the rear tires on a daily basis.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:20 PM   #13
Green Machine

Bought a parts truck a few years ago with a 327 that had sat several years. Used that engine as a temporary engine and it had a fair amout of blowby. Pulled the engine to install good engine and we lubed the bores good with WD40 before we stored it. 6 months later we put the old 327 back into service again in another truck, and it now has almost no blowby ! WTF ? Only thing we can figure is that the WD40 loosened up the rings while it sat. It must be possible to unstick stuck rings with the right stuff !!
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote