The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2006, 06:25 PM   #1
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

lets talk flip kits

Flip kits, to lower the rear of a leaf rear... how does this work, and is a real kit needed? Am I able to simply cut off my mounts, and reweld them to the other side of the axle, and then use shackles to raise it enough to keep the axle off the frame?
What else do I need to know?

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 12-17-2006 at 10:35 AM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
corn

Re: lets talk flip kits

The only issue you may have is on a flip kit the axle is offset to correct pinion angle but if its just a driver I wouldnt worry much about it. Ive got installed flip kit pics I can post later if you want them...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
Flip kits, to lower the rear of a leaf rear... how does this worr, and is a real kit needed? Am I amble to simply cut off my mounts, and reweld themt o the other side of the axle, and then use shackles to rais it tnough to keep the axle off the frame?
If you are planning to flip your Longhorn, you are in for some fun! If thats the case , I can try to steer you in the direction you like to go.....but mine has 1/2 ton susp parts under her.... L a little more info ,on how much drop you need will help.
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....

Last edited by crazy longhorn; 12-16-2006 at 07:35 PM.
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:39 PM   #4
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Go for it Andy
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:42 PM   #5
1969k10stepside

1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:19 AM   #6
C10-Driver
Chevy Truck Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
Flip kits, to lower the rear of a leaf rear... how does this worr, and is a real kit needed? Am I amble to simply cut off my mounts, and reweld themt o the other side of the axle, and then use shackles to rais it tnough to keep the axle off the frame?
Go for it... As you said, the only thing you need to do is cut the perches off and re-mount them to the underside of the axle. Add some new U-bolts and you're off to the races. The one thing you need to be careful with is your pinion angles. Make sure you get them right or you could end up with some nasty driveline vibration.

A flip should get you about 5-6 inches of drop. Your comment about shackles is confusing though. After the flip, there will be no way of bringing the truck back up other than re-arching the springs. Adding a taller-than-stock shackle will bring the truck down even lower and move the axle closer to the frame.
1970 Pontiac Lemans
C10-Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:37 AM   #7
Longhorn Man

Al, that is in fact what I am thinking about. I would like to keep my one ton springs so I still have a good pay load, but sick of the nose bleeds from sitting so high.
C-10Driver, adding blocks would do as you mention, but shackles, from the frame to the spring, would raise the back of the truck.
I don't think I want 5 to 6 inches, and that is why I was thinking of the shackles to bring it back up... I think maybe 3 or 4 at the most, just a mild drop.
What about c-notch... will this be an issue? Will I want some kind of a bumper to keep the exle off the frame?
Old 12-17-2006, 11:55 AM   #8
crazy longhorn

the way that the shackles & hangers are laid out from the factory, a longer shackle will give you a drop. I think a flip would be way more drop than you would want , but you should get approx 2" with a shackle, & you could also take the perches for the front spring eyes off the frame, & move them up to give a little more drop. You need to mark & redrill the frame for the brackets, & be sure to use some hardware to replace those rivets! I did a flip on mine, & tossed all but the top 4 leafs, but it sat the rear too low. my fix was to knock off all 4 spring hangers & move them DOWN on the frame a couple inches , to raise the truck back up a tad. I figure approx 5 1/2" on my rear drop, & I have 2 1/2-2 3/4" clearance tween the rails & the rear diff (no notch). this is not a problem for my useage.....but I dont do any hauling with the old truck. You can get a good idea on a flip drop, just measure the thickness of the spring stack(that 1 ton stack is plenty stought), so Im guessin you will have better luck with shackles & hangers if you need a 3-4 " drop...... L
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
Old 12-17-2006, 01:41 PM   #9
Longhorn Man

sweet.
I guess I shoulda taken a good look first... I remember on an old square body poS-10 we used shackles to bring one back up a bit. I'll have to look into this a bit better.
Even though I use my truck as a huge friggen car, I do load it down pretty good from time to time, (some of you may rememberr how I actually used my last car...as a truck) So I like the idea of having the one ton springs under there still, and if I can keep the overloads, that's an added plus.
Up front, one coil chopped off is good for about 2 inche... is that right? That's what I remember, but my memory isn't what it was. (and the sad part is I'm still only 32)
Old 12-17-2006, 03:25 PM   #10
crazy longhorn

Yes, you should see 2 -2 1/2" drop for 1 full ring on the fronts. best of luck, L