The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2006, 12:26 AM   #1
plagee

charcoal emmision cannister?

Hello all, quick question on the charcoal canister located under the battery on a 71 C10. Was this a California emission requirement? We are in Illinois and I do not think this needs to be reinstalled or is this one of those rare parts that might add a little to the truck. A little history: I picked up this truck to have the kids learn on, the truck was supposed to be a driver with not much work done to it. We are now in the middle of a frame off restoration... Anyway I am looking for info on this canister, if its needed, where can I get a new one, etc. etc. Next question, any thoughts on having retapping the crankshaft for the harmonic balancer bolt. The previous owner had installed one of those cheap chrome timing chain cover that leaked, once changed I found that the threads were stripped, I retapped the crank, and the balancer is back on but I am not sure if this is safe, any thoughts?
plagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:33 AM   #2
plagee

Re: charcoal emmision cannister?

Sorry, virgin member I was in the wrong section, time for another beer...
plagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:51 AM   #3
gmcman7202

as i live in Roselle, and you might be able to get away without it. if you can get the engine tuned to emit the same as or less than stock emmisions, then you wont need it. my buddy has a 79 k10 that passed without no emmision stuff on it. even no cats,
gmcman7202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:40 PM   #4
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

well i beleve that that canistor will help you in the long run i beleave it a breather for the Gas tank and the carb in newer cars it kinda works as a breather id you like to top off the fuel tank the 1971--72 had a by pass line on the fuel pump meaning instead of just having 1 line in and 1 line out in 1971--1972 that had 1 line in but 2 lines out this what for the the bleed down of the carb it would go back to the tank and release the vaper and the pressure from the take the charcle canister is a bleed off for the tank to release the vaper last time i read and it will help you get better gas milage or you might get a vaper lock in the carb with out it but i might be wrong
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:13 PM   #5
pumpkin

A charcoal canister is only for evaporative emisions. It has no effect on mpg's, or performance. Where I live I am a licensed air care tech. Air care is what they call smogg testing here. As far as testing for the canister goes, since when working properly, has no effect on tailpipe emisions, as far as the testing goes. Short of testing all the components in the system, there is no test. Here they just visually see that it is in place and looks to be properly connected.
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote