The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2006, 11:51 AM   #1
HotRod73

Lowered???

what is the cheapest and easiest way to lower our trucks? is it a do it yourself or no?
Old 12-28-2006, 12:12 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Lowered???

What are your mechanical abilities? Do you have a good set of hand tools, jacks, jackstands, an air chisel, an angle grinder, a heavy duty 1/2" drill, and things like an acetylene torch available. The lowering is not ALL that hard, but there WILL be some frustrating moments when the rusted parts don't give way, without massaging. Most manufacturers give good directions in their packets.

I have done a few vehicles and it does help to have thngs like I listed above, as well as a lift to get the truck off of the ground. You may want to pull the bed off, so that you can get at the parts easier, I have done it both ways, the bed coming off makes things a lot easier.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:30 PM   #3
HotRod73

i just want like a 2" lowered look or something not a lot just so i can tell i want it to clear speed bumps and stuff... also does anyone know the biggest tire and rim combo i can use on my truck without any modifications? could i fit 18" or 20" easily?
Old 12-28-2006, 01:40 PM   #4
boatpuller

you asked the cheapest way?...here it is,get a couple of 200 lb plus buddies,heat up the front coils with a torch and have em sit on the front.thats the cheapest way,we used to do it that way in olden times.i wouldn't reccomend it....but,..it is "the cheapest way'.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:43 PM   #5
craig@ridetech.com
Formerly LSC71

my thoughts would be to get a set of drop spindles for the front and a flip kit for the back. Might not be the absolute cheapest way to go but probably the easiest.
craig@ridetech.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:42 PM   #6
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC71 View Post
my thoughts would be to get a set of drop spindles for the front and a flip kit for the back. Might not be the absolute cheapest way to go but probably the easiest.

AND the SAFEST. Still need to know your mechanical abilities, to be able to guide you in a general direction.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:14 PM   #7
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
you asked the cheapest way?...here it is,get a couple of 200 lb plus buddies,heat up the front coils with a torch and have em sit on the front.thats the cheapest way,we used to do it that way in olden times.i wouldn't reccomend it....but,..it is "the cheapest way'.
I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. If you want cheap, cut 1 coil from the front springs and it will net you about 2-1/2 - 3" of drop up front. Cost: time it takes to pull the spring out, cut it, and replace. For the rear, if you have a leaf setup you can do drop hanger/shackles. Shackles are like 40 bucks. Hangers are more money, I can't remember what I paid for the ones on my '03 but I think it was around $100 thru McGaughy's.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:38 PM   #8
singlebarrel68

Ive heard of cutting the spings to be the cheapest and fastest. Thats what I did before i had the money for air ride. Another way is to heat the springs to collaps them. But i recomend looking into it before hand.
singlebarrel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:33 PM   #9
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

There are things that I would not put my life on the line for and heating coils is one of them, the other being cheap brake parts. Cutting a coil off works, but the ride suffers due to the spring rate being made for the longer set and the shorter coil will cause you to bottom out more. It will get you to the level that you want without doing some investment. BUT think about this, if you can scratch up the cash, why take the front end apart more than once. Do it right the first time and then enjoy it for a long time.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:17 AM   #10
poorboy

I would go for a set of drop spindels. Save up for awhile if you have to. If you cut the springs you'll get the look but may not be able to get the front back in align. It cheaper in the long run to put on the spindels that to keep replacing tires.
poorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:43 AM   #11
Shane
Account Suspended

Spindles and springs. It's only a couple hundred dollars, consider it an investment in your safety ... as well as anyone else that might happen to be on the road the same time you are.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:35 AM   #12
corn

You can buy a set of front drop springs for @ $75 if you cant afford spindles...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:55 AM   #13
1fast71

so i have the springs and shocks in the back of my truck and springs up front so would a set of 4 drop springs lower it enough to tell its lowered
1fast71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:44 AM   #14
Kevin45

You can also use lowered control arms. I put a 3/4 drop on mine as it used to set like a pre-runner. The 3 you can tell, the 4" you can't. But I also need to pull the helper springs out in the rear. I also have 75 series tires on it along with 17" rims because I am old school and wanted to see rubber filling up the wheelwell. But these were on my '89 when I got them. So the tires sit it up pretty high also. I know, I know.....bigger rims are in order and shorter tires, and it will be getting lowered some more. Just too many irons in the fire and too many hours at work won't let me work on it.

Kevin
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2007, 11:46 PM   #15
chopper103in

Never Heat Your Springs----its Not Safe
chopper103in is offline   Reply With Quote