The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
bigblackcat

t-5 tranny swap in 60 swb

I got this 60 swb chevy with a 235 and three speed tranny with a floor mounted stick shift. I want to install a t-5 tranny that I have, and that came out of a 88 camero. Has anyone done this swap? Will I need to change to a s-10 5 speed, part numbers for new clutch kit? do I use the original 235 bell housing or use the t-5 bell housing? Since the t-5 is a hydrolic clutch , do I use that system or the original? Does the driveline need to be shortend or is there a driveline off another veicle that I can swap in? Any tech tips to help make this a smooth operation will be appreciated.

Last edited by bigblackcat; 12-31-2006 at 03:05 PM.
bigblackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:01 PM   #2
ol Curt

Re: t-5 tranny swap in 60 swb

Check in the tech tips here and also a link in there to the stovebolt site

http://inliners.org/
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:23 PM   #3
bigblackcat

okay I read the tech tip on the INLINERS site in regards to the t-5 (good info), but no info on clutch kit usage, driveline change (as I'm sure there will be), hydrolic clutch modifcations. All the sites I have found address the t-5 in 55 and earlier trucks? Anybody out there done this swap to there 60 chevy truck?
Old 01-01-2007, 01:08 AM   #4
ol Curt

I researched it extensively a year ago. There are a lot of recomendations out there about the s10 versus camaro t5's. Most, including for our trucks have to cut a slight bit off the spline shaft. The astro vans had a cluthc that would fit. You would just go to a good parts dealer and give them the measurement of your clutch and how many splines the output shat has and they can match iit up.

Tom Langdon simplified this for me once, by just using the steps shown below. He also offered to sell a completely rebuilt transmission with shifter and modifications 2 and 3 done for $500. Sounded like a good deal, I just couldn't make it happen at that time. He might still have the tranny and the deal available.....

1. purchase ’83-’87 S-10 truck V6 2.8L trans.

2. drill four mounting holes out to 17/32”.

3. cut input and front bearing collar to match your original transmission.

4. purchase new disc with matching splines and diameter to match flywheel.

5. shorten drive shaft.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
fslay

Hey,

I drove an S10 with a 2.8/T5 for a long time. The T5 for V6 applications has completely different gear ratios than the V8 T5 transmissions do. They have to have stouter ratios (numerically higher ratios) to cope with less power (and torque) of the small V6 engine, and the gears are so close together, you end up shifting a lot more often than you might want. The 2.8 has a 60 degree angle between cylinder banks, and the V8 has 90 degrees, so the bellhousings are different. Just one man's opinion.

PS-) I still have the T5 from my 2.8 liter S10, and I'll give it to you, if you want.
fslay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
bigblackcat

I'm gonna use a camero t-5 tranny and change the tail shaft out witha s-10. In some forums and tech tips post, they say to cut down and modify the input shaft. Does this need to be done to the v-8 t5's or is that just on the s-10 2.8 and v-6 trannies?
Old 01-24-2007, 02:16 AM   #7
ol Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fslay View Post
Hey,

I drove an S10 with a 2.8/T5 for a long time. The T5 for V6 applications has completely different gear ratios than the V8 T5 transmissions do. They have to have stouter ratios (numerically higher ratios) to cope with less power (and torque) of the small V6 engine, and the gears are so close together, you end up shifting a lot more often than you might want. The 2.8 has a 60 degree angle between cylinder banks, and the V8 has 90 degrees, so the bellhousings are different. Just one man's opinion.

PS-) I still have the T5 from my 2.8 liter S10, and I'll give it to you, if you want.
Still got that T5?