The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
pimperout

no fire or no gas?

in last little while i have been noticing that my engine has been getting harder and harder to start after it has cooled down. Each time i have wanted to start it after its cooled down i have needed a jump because my battery would not last long enough to get it started. Once i got really frustrated and went all along the wire that feeds the distributor its power and wiggled all the connections and checked the wire and what do know it fired right up like nothing, but it was only firing on a few cylenders cuz it was so flooded. the truck was rocking back and forth very violently so i shut it off not knowing what was wrong then i seen a think white fog comming outa the tail pipe smelt it and it was the strongest scent of gas i have ever smelt so i turn it back on and pinned it then she run fine. so i figured it must just be a wire problem. tried next week, didnt work i figured its just wiring right... wrong i went over it a hundered times would not fire. so i got very angery and stomped on the gas like ten times then turned it over and BAM it fired right up

i have checked the battery connections they were a bit loose so i tightened them up, got battery check and alternator, both are in tip top shape and any other ideas are more than welcome thanks
pimperout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:04 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: no fire or no gas?

points plugs condensor timing dwell gas filter air filter plug wires cap rotor
these are the things that are replaced and set for a TUNEUP
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:13 AM   #3
pimperout

kk thanks man i guess that was kinda obvious but im kinda new to this engine stuff but only 1 way to learn i guess thanks
pimperout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:21 AM   #4
masterbeavis
Having issues

complete tuneup first, then see if you still have the problem. If its still a PITA to start afterwards, then suspect carburation or ignition problems. Oh, and when you change your cap and wires, replace your wires one at a time, in case you didnt know.
masterbeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
69rut

Crank the motor with a spark plug wire off and see if you can get a spark to a good ground. This will tell you if the coil, wires are ok.

Take the air cleaner off and work the gas pedal to see if fuel is actually going in the engine. If not, or if you need to crank the motor to get the gas flowing, the problem may be your fuel pump.