The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
ron19

Newbie help 65 c10

I have a 65 C10 stepside that I'm psyched about. Body is in fair shape, has a 400 small block with a T10 4 speed. I put some BF tires on it, dual flowmasters and new holly carb and it runs great. Before I got it, someone installed a homemade angle iron rear bumper on it that made it look sad.

For Christmas I got a new LMC chrome bumper and bumper brackets to install and make it look much better. My problem is that the inner straight brackets don't line up with the bumper when bolted in. I'm new at this and it doesn't come with instructions, so after much thought, I bolted the brackets on, the two middle brackets to the inside of the frame, and the two outer brackets to the outside of the frame, with no luck. The outer brackets line up perfect, but the inner brackets are 3 inches off from lining up with the bumper. My question is: Is this something that is expected from ordering new parts, to have some bending and fab work to get them to fit? Is this something related to LMC or has no one ever seen anything like this before?

This is a cool board, and I'm just nuts about my truck.

Thanks,

Ron.
ron19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
SIR
SIR

Re: Newbie help 65 c10

...I had almost the same issue with mine bought from "chevy-duty" I had to massage the brakets slightly to line up everything and "tweak" them, all it took was a tape measure and a vise and some time most parts are made "overseas" so the "specs" arn't exact you will come across this alot over time.oh and check your frame rails for strightness..thease trucks get beat up pretty good over the years....

Last edited by SIR; 05-06-2007 at 01:16 PM.
SIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
slepysal

Too funny!! I had the same problem with my 60's rear bumper. Turns out I had the brackets on the wrong side. It took me a while to figuer I had the left on the right and vice versa. Also be sure you got the right year bracket, 60-62 are different then 63-66. good luck !!

Last edited by slepysal; 01-04-2007 at 05:09 PM.
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
ron19

I'm right there with ya. After that problem, I spent two days trying to figure what other way they could mount, but the bed bolts in the right place for a relief in the bracket, and the ends of the inside brackets turned in to each other instead of out. This puts it the closest I could get it. And if I mount them on the outside of the frame, the outer brackets don't mesh with the inner brackets. I thought I would have this done in about 1 hour, 2 milking it....LOL.

It will look much better, but the last thing I have to tackle is the bed, someone put a 70's bed on the truck, so I have to find the right stepside for it. Other than that, the truck is awesome. I'll try to get pics.

Thanks for the help!
ron19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #5
19GMC63

I'm actually having the same troubles, I have NO idea how these brakets go. Plus, I have to drill the holes in the frame because this truck was converted from a LWB to a SWB, so the part of the rear of the frame was chopped off.
I also have a leaf srping rear suspension if that makes any difference.

Anyone have a pic of how and where these things are mounted?

thx
19GMC63 is offline   Reply With Quote