The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2007, 12:19 AM   #1
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Exclamation Phantom 68 Longhorn with AC and 396&400

this truck was found in Comton Calif in a tow whereHouse where it was Parked
sence 1979 and it still has the Big block 396 Automatic 400 with that specail 400 Kick down that was used on the Big Block Camaros and Nova's and chevelles it came with Factory not and i will say again Not dealer add on Air it was factory it has factory power steering But No power brakes it has a bage of 7500 gvw so i feel this is a 1 ton it came with Carpet and Houndstooth front bench seat cover It also came with 5 roof mounted clearnce lights there the same one they used on the 1964--66 3 ton Bob tail trucks with a chrome base and a orange Lens it was a Metalic Blue with white cab but some one repainted it all Blue the bed is the currect bed for this truck but dout it was the one it came with cus it has a copper color under the faded blue that is now peeling it has alum side molding and chrome front bumper and heavy duty rear bumper still has the black and yellow calif plates but do not have Pink on truck just Lien tital but will hold on to plates to see if i can get new plates with the same lic number#'s the Hood and 2 fenders are in good shape passager fender and door seem to have signs of body damage du to bondo repair the cancer in body is not there no roccker panle damage no floor damage but the Gas tank is junk cus of the old Lead gas as eaten throw the gas tank and silled onto the back of the floor bord not sure if back of cab is cancered to to the gas linking onto it the 396 looks to be factory but the eng was panited Orange and had CHrome Valve cover's did take a look at the heads they say on the heads Hi perf the heads look to be the same but look of a head gasket was done due to the red paint on them differ from the orange paint on the block i feel this block only has some where around 59,000 on it or a little more Over all this truck is in good shape i will try and get a Vin tag number and a pic to you i payed 600.00 for this truck 12 years ago all the green tint glass is in good shape it has the factory AC from figadare its all there have all brakets and everything to make it work theair pump was locked up when i got it it still had the factory distibitor and had the 16inch split Rimes the secont gas take was never used from what i can see the color of this truck looks to be metalic blue with two tone white top with Saddle interior but with a blue Cab in side saddle das pad saddle visers and a houndstooth front bench seat in Blue and saddle colors this truck had camper mirrors on it but did not have any when i got it had no carburator when i got it but did have the open elament air cleaner the ones used on the Big block Camaros and Nova's and Chevelles under the crome air cleaner lid is a AC delco Number and instutions on how to clean and replace elament it was sitting on the floor of the 1968 1 ton 396 auto 400 longhorn truck i bought so many years ago like to have you write me and lets see what this what was used for if possible and find out which NB# it is it looks like one the the frist Longhorns to roll off GM line
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:01 AM   #2
Bandit76

Re: Phatom 68 Longhorn with AC and 396&400

Long posts make for short attention. I stopped half way through the third sentence. Helps to break it up a little.

Are you selling this truck or just telling us about it? Each is okay, but it is honestly hard to follow.

Good to see you have passion about this, but I advise you read the posts from your "sorry to say" thread.

Cheers

2011 Chev Silverado LT 1500 4x4 Crew Cab 5.3l
2005 Toyota 4Runner family beater

...would have more but my yard ain't all that big...
..nothing like a Chevy fence all bought and paid for..
...there's a few holes in it though...
Bandit76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:15 AM   #3
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

I believe they are looking for more info on that truck in particular. Welcome to the site
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:13 AM   #4
72armyswbtruck

We want Pics!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-05-2007, 07:22 AM   #5
dwaite72lnghrn

I never new the 1 ton would have a 7600GVW. It sounds more like a C20. Most of the Longhorns were built for customers that were going to put really big slide in campers on them.
Mine had a 8 1/2 ft SATURN camper on it for most of it's early life. Then I used it to haul wood and stone. Now I putter around in it and tow my Travel Trailer and flatbed trailer. Mine is a 72 c30 with a 9000lb gvw.
71 GMC k20 350/sm465
2009 Chevy hd3500 6.6 Victory Red crew cab dually
Dave & Jeanne
dwaite72lnghrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:32 PM   #6
WorkinLonghorn

Sounds like an interesting truck. Post the VIN.

Unless someone maintained a "Certificate of Non-Operation" and paid the annual fees,you can expect to pay a couple grand to get it registered in California where I believe you are.-cougar
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.

Last edited by WorkinLonghorn; 01-05-2007 at 12:44 PM.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
wolfthing2000
Account Suspended

Move to Oregon and register it here by doing a lost title search from Cal. Then move it back and re-register in your Cal town
wolfthing2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #8
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

THIS IS A REBUTTAL TO MY MISTAKE ON THE gvw ITS 7500

AND HERE IS ALL THE INFO ON THE 1968 PHANTOM LONGHORN TRUCK I NEED INFO NOT SELLING TRUCK

the vin Number is CE2482I74909 the tag in the gove compartment tells me it is a 396 truck with 400 with sports package on wheel base can';t make out to much but the last 4 numbers on it are 5009 or 5090 and power streeing front sway bar push buton radio carpet kit can't make out any more on the tag it selfhow rare is this truck and under the serile number# it has DD asnd GVW is at 7500 can you give me any other info and it has the clearnce lights on top has saddle inter NO cancer in Cab all glass is good Has AIr condioningand its still all in tactedthe engine & transmission is out of the truck wanted to refression it up this truck last time it was on the road was in July 1978 the miles on this truck are193016 this truck has the spare tool box on the passanger side of truck is that part of the sprots package can you let me know some Info on this truck sorry to say i do not have the side emblems that say Longhorn for this truck on the truck nor did they come with truck and this truck came with tinted glass thanks for the help all i payed for the truck was 600.00 from a tow yard i think the Engine Numbers on this truck are 2 sets of Numbers on the front flange of eng first set Number# TO620IV secont Number# 18S262691 THE REAR ENGINE NUMBERS# 39354435 nOW THESE NUMBERS ARE STAMPED BACK WORDS OR CASTED BACK WORDS YOU HAVE TO STAND OVER THE ENGINE AND READ THEM YOU CAN NOT READ THEM BY LOOKING AT THE BACK OF THE ENG WHERE THE TRANSMISSION IS THE 3'S ARE BACK WORDS WHEN YOU LOOK AT IT FROM THAT WAY THE eXHOUST ON THE RIGHT SIDE NUMBERS# 3868874 THE INTAKE MANIFOLD NUMBER# 3883848 IT IS A Q-JET INTAKE IT IS A HIGH RISE INTAKE MANIFOLD LET ME KNOW WHAT KINDA A CREACHER I HAVE OK AND I WILL SEND SOME PICS AS SOON AS I CAN SAM REED FROM RIVERSIDE CALIFMY NUMBER IS 951-242-4716 THATS MY HOME NUMBER AND STSALVAGE@AOL.COM
Old 01-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #9
faribran

Happy new year, LIZ

Rich
Old 01-05-2007, 03:08 PM   #10
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

AND IN CALIF IF THE TRUCK FALLS OUT OF COMPUTOR ALL YOU PAY IS A REGESTOR FEE AND HAVE TO HAVE IT WEIGHED AND INSPECTED BY THE cALIF HIGHWAY PATRALAND THEY GIVE SOME LENCES ON A 50 YEAR OLD TRUCKTHEY DON'T CLASSAFIY A TRUCK WITH A BED AS COMMICAL IN CALIF NOW IF THIS WAS A FLAT BED THEN YOU HAVE A LITTLE MORE PROBLEM DID YOU KNOW IN CALIF IF YOU HAVE A FLAT BED YOU MUST STOP AT ALL SCALES IF NOT YOUR COUL;D BE BE FINED UP TO 1500.00 AND SPEND 6 MONTHS IN JAIL DID NOT KNOW THAT THAT LAW WHAT WRITTION IN 1955 IN CALIF VEICAL HAND BOOK SORRY MY SPELLING NEEDS WORK I KNOW LET ME KNOW ABOUT ANY INFORMAION YOU MIGHT HAVE OK HAVE A GOOD ONE ALL
Old 01-05-2007, 04:03 PM   #11
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Sounds like an interesting truck, some things don't seem right though... can't wait for photos to see what exactly it is you have here.
The clearance lights were an option, avalible on any chevy/GMC pick up, and required on all cab/chassis trucks.
Your truck should have had the longhorn badges, they just fell off years ago. Most were glued on.
The sport package you speak of, is probably the CST... Custom Sport Truck.
Your VIN decodes as follows;
CE2482I74909
C 2 wheel drive
E V8 engine
2 3/4 ton
4 cab and bed (doesn't say which bed... just, a bed)
8 ... ??? you sure that wasn't an S or maybe an F? *see below*
2I74909 Is SUPPOSED to be the Vehicle Serial Number , but again, it isn't right. Is that an I in there? This should be a 6 digit number. I have found conflicting info on the Vehicle Serial Number part, and finally some info that makes sence.
Most people will tell you that the first one down the assembly line started with 100001. However, I've seen trucks built in december, that would be a real low number, actually start as 500xxx. I read that some plants stated at 500000 instead of 100000. I recently read that if one single plant had 2 assembly lines putting out the same model vehicle.. as in 2 lines with light duty trucks coming off, then the 2nd line started with 500000.
So ignoring the I in your Vehicle Serial Number, you have a production number of 274909 ... making it the 174909th truck to roll off the assembly line for 1968, at that particular plant. This tells me your truck was actually one of the last trucks, a late 68, just before the chainge over to 69. Is there a sticker in the drivers side door jamb? It should have the month and year, along with the VIN.
1968 was not a full year run for longhorns, the first one supposedly rolled off the line in march, making it a mid year into on the dealership lots. With that info, it made 68 the lowest production numbers of all 5 years of the longhorn run. only 1902 C/20 longhorns, and 213 C/30 longhorns.
I mentioned the plant code was not right, here is the list of what that 8 should be;
Assembly Plant
A = Atlanta
B = Baltimore
F = Flint
J = Janesville
N = Norwood
P = Pontiac
S = St. Louis
T = Tarrytown
Z = Fremont
1 = Oshawa
I am interested in seeing the option sheet... and photos of your whole truck. Is the model number still on the sticker? This will be the only way to know that your truck is a true longhorn, but I can't see it being anything else. The VIN tells us it had a bed, and there were no 133 inch wheelbase stepsides with a 3/4 ton rating... so it has to bea real longhorn even if the bed was swapped with one from another longhorn.
Your tool box in the bed also verifies that the bed was swapped, being that it was not offered yet in 68.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #12
WorkinLonghorn

STSALVAGE SAYS; "TRUCKTHEY DON'T CLASSAFIY A TRUCK WITH A BED AS COMMICAL IN CALIF"
When I registered my 2500 in Calif. the DMV told me a pick-up was considered commercial and I had to have it weighed and pay a weight fee each year etc. The exception was if it's primary use was carrying a camper around (so I registered it with a camper).
I bought a trailer that hadn't been registered since '79 and they added up all the years and penalties and it was close to 2 Gs.
Maybe they have changed the rules and I'm sure as a salvage guy you know about these.-cougar
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.

Last edited by WorkinLonghorn; 01-05-2007 at 04:45 PM. Reason: screwed up the quote function
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:45 PM   #13
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

sounds like a cool truck what ever it is...personaly i like the 11 1/2 foot slide ins..but on got a 9 1/2 foot one now for my 84...i need a 67 to 71 3/4..would be correct for the campers i got...but we need pics of your truck...
so you said it has a lein title on it,,is the lien cleared off it now...that could present a problem if not..and welcome to the boards..
Old 01-05-2007, 06:58 PM   #14
71chevylowrider

Man, if you have any questions about Longhorns, I'd listen to anything Longhorn Man had to say, he clearly knows his stuff on these trucks, anyone ever check out his website?

http://www.longhorntrucks.freeservers.com/
71chevylowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:29 AM   #15
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

to Longhorn man i'm sorry too day whe had really bad winds and when i coppyed down the numbers i left 1 out Please for give me i'm not messing with you i value your time and thank you for taking the time to look mine up

Vin number as follows ( CE248Z174900) AND NO STICKER ON DOOR SORRY WHAT DOSE THE ( DD ) MEAN UNDER THE VIN NUMBER OK HOPE THAT WILL SHEED SOME LIGHT ON THIS TRUCK SAM
Old 01-06-2007, 03:39 AM   #16
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

And Yes Working Hard To Get Pic's To You And Did You Research The Numbers On The Block I Sent You And Did Gm Ever Have A Casting Number Problem About Having The Casting Back Words Where The Engine Casting Numbers Are 3935443 Not Sure If Its A ( 5 ) Or A ( 0 ) So And You Can't Read These Numbers Buy Just Standing Over The The Transmission Still Hooked To The Block You Have To Stand Over The Engine Facing The Trasmission Can You Let Me Know Thank You For Your Time The Long Horn Was Not Glued In On My Mine Had The Studs That Are Like On The C20 On The Fender Well Where You Had The Nut That Would Make Its Own Threads On The Pot Metal I Hope I'm Making Sence I Need Help With This And I Have Another Short Story That Makes This Truck Stange From Detrote From Rare Parts Devison That Where I Was Transfered To Back In 1995 When I Called About This Trucki Will Go In To More Detal Lator Thanks Sam
Old 01-06-2007, 03:50 AM   #17
72armyswbtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar View Post
I bought a trailer that hadn't been registered since '79 and they added up all the years and penalties and it was close to 2 Gs.
Got to love California
Old 01-06-2007, 03:54 AM   #18
72armyswbtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
The VIN tells us it had a bed, and there were no 133 inch wheelbase stepsides with a 3/4 ton rating... so it has to bea real longhorn even if the bed was swapped with one from another longhorn.
Your tool box in the bed also verifies that the bed was swapped, being that it was not offered yet in 68.
Andy,
I thought that their was a longwheel base 68 stepside? I know that I have seen them in the local yard, and it was a factory c-20, are you sure that they didn't exist?
Old 01-06-2007, 01:00 PM   #19
Longhorn Man

Re: Phantom 68 Longhorn with AC and 396&400

i've never figured the DD... I think Rod had something on that.
As far as engine castings, I really never bothered learning how to decode engines. I attempted a few times, but said forget it. There's a few ppl here that will chime in... kinda suprised they have not already.
As for the lwb step sides... you need to look at the wheel base too, that's where you are confused on what I was saying. (let me scroll up and make sure it's not my fault)
You read that as no LWB step sides.... I was talking about longhorn wheel base... not regular LWB.
Step sides came in 3 sizes;
6 1/2 ft... only in 115, or 1/2 ton.
8 ft... came in 1/2 ton and 3.4 ton. (there's the LWB step)
9 ft... came in one ton only, and only on the 133 inch wheelbase.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:58 PM   #20
Olden Days
Living In The Past

You listed your block number in 2 different posts but the second time you listed it is not the same as the first. but neither way you listed it match any numbers from mortec. Here is some numbers copied from the mortec site. 340220.....427T......68-85...4-bolt
345014.....454.......70-86...
346236.....454.......75-76...2-bolt
359070.....454.......70-90...
361959.....454.......73-90...2 or 4 bolt
364776.....427T......68-85...4-bolt
364779.....366T......68-90...4-bolt
399204.....509.......70-71...4-bolt, Alum., CanAm, 4.5" bores, Cylinder liners
399293.....366T......77-78...4-bolt
473478.....427T......77-90...4-bolt
3782870....427T......68-76...4-bolt
3824553....366T......66-67...4-bolt
3855961....396.......65-66...2 or 4 bolt
3855961....427.......66......2-bolt
3855962....396.......65-66...4-bolt
3855977....366T......66-73...4-bolt
3869942....427.......66-67...2 or 4 bolt
3902406....396.......67......2 or 4 bolt
3904351....427.......67......2 or 4 bolt
3904354....366T......66-76...4-bolt
3916319....366T......68......4-bolt
3916321....427.......68......2 or 4 bolt
3916323....396.......68......2 or 4 bolt
3925521....427T......68-85...4-bolt
3935439....427.......68-69...2 or 4 bolt
3935440....396.......68-69...2 or 4 bolt
3937724....366T......68-85...4-bolt
3937726....427T......68-84...4-bolt
3946052....427.......69......4-bolt, Alum. ZL-1, Mark IV
3946053....427.......97-up...4-bolt, Alum. ZL-1, 2nd version, Mark IV
3955270....427.......69......2 or 4 bolt
3955272....396.......69......2 or 4 bolt
3955274....366T......68-85...4-bolt
3955276....427T......68-73...4-bolt
3963512....427.......69......2 or 4 bolt
3963512....454.......70-76...2 or 4 bolt
3969852....366T......68-84...4-bolt
3969854....396.......69......2 or 4 bolt
3969854....402.......70-72...2 or 4 bolt
3969858....427T......68-84...4-bolt
3999289....454.......71-79...2 or 4 bolt, some "CE" replacement blocks had four bolt main caps
3999290....396.......68-69...2 or 4 bolt, Truck
3999290....402.......70-72...2 or 4 bolt, Truck
3999290....402.......72......2 or 4 bolt, Passenger
3999293....366T......68-90...4-bolt
3999294....427T......68-84...4-bolt
Olden Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:32 PM   #21
Longhorn Man

Olden days...where the he!! you been? Hows the 50th longhorn goin?
Old 01-06-2007, 03:27 PM   #22
Olden Days
Living In The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
Olden days...where the he!! you been? Hows the 50th longhorn goin?
I been here. But I think you are getting me confused with someone else. I never had a longhorn
Olden Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #23
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Hello Longhorn man did the new VIN CODE I SENT TO YOU MAKE ANY SENCE CE248Z174900 ON 1968 LONGHORN WITH 396&400 WITH 7500 GVW NOW THE 7500 IS 3/4 TON RIGHT AND 8000 IS 1 TON AND TO YOU OLDEN DAYS THE CASTING NUMBER ON THE REAR DIVERSIDE IS BACK WORDS YOU HAVE TO READ IT UPSIDE DOWN DID GM BACK THEN HAVE A DIFFRENT WAY ON HOW THEY CASTED THERE BLOCKS NB# ON BLOCK IS AS READ #3935443.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:03 PM   #24
toms68cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olden Days View Post
I been here. But I think you are getting me confused with someone else. I never had a longhorn
Me thinks Andy is thinking of 69Oldie. He has 68 longhorn 50he was going to start restoring. I haven't seen him on line either.

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #25
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Longhorn Man I Just Pulled The Frame Sereil Number Off Frame And Its As Follows 8z174900 But The Full Nb# Is Ce248z174900 The Tag In The Glove Compartment Is Unread Able Sorry But Can The Number Beside It Help You It May Be Read Able