The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2002, 01:19 AM   #1
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Thumbs up Spent 2 Nights Installing My Alarm System..

I have a CODE ALARM 2500.

This thing does everything except feed the chickens.. It locks and unlocks the doors,turns on the interior light, will set itself if you forget,it has an override if you are working on it and don't want it to set (valet switch) the locks unlock when you turn the key off and it has a "two stage" sensor (you bump the car easily and the alarm won't go off it will just beep to let you know you're too close, hit it again and it blasts away. It hooks into your headlights or parking lights so they flash when the alarm is blasting away. it has a switch on it to open the trunk, (not much use to us Huh?) The two tabs on the far right are for the starter wire to run through, if you aren't supposed to be there it won't allow the engine to start. (of course there is always a way around everything)

Tomorrow night I should have it done, interfacing with the door locks is a nightmare.
Attached Images

Last edited by RON WOODGEARD; 08-23-2002 at 01:22 AM.
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 02:58 AM   #2
oldyeller
Captain CAAAVVVMMMAAANNN!

isn't wiring fun!!! I put cliffords to of the line model in my 97 yukon2yrs ago, took me about 36 hours, it was my first alarm install, and will probably be the most complex, it was the advantguard 3 model, remote start, tilt sensor, dual shock sensor, dual zone (radar) proximity sensor, glass break sensor, normal lock unlock, trunk pop, will lock the doors when running at about 1200 rpm, auto lights, will start the truck if it gets too cold or the battery gets too low, turns on the lights if the wipers are on, moves the seat position to who unlocks the truck, backup battery for siren, and starter/ignition kill. will also roll up the windows but I didn't get that add on module.
If this thing had a automatic hand to wipe my @$$ I would be set!!
Alarms are a PITA to install but are nice after the fact.
just be sure to hide your wires with the factory harness, and hide the brain well.. Good luck!!
check out the project old yeller
oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 11:57 AM   #3
RON WOODGEARD

OLDYELLER,

Where'd you get that one from, that's the kind of "GADGET" I live for..hehe That one would "FEED THE CHICKENS"

I've had it in before but it quit working, When I took the truck apart (This time) I found a few broken wires. Off road just beats stuff up. And as you know if you do ONE WIRE AT A TIME, it's not so bad. just time consuming.

Sounds as though you've got a winner in that system.

RON
Old 08-23-2002, 01:59 PM   #4
XXL
Seņor Member

Re: Spent 2 Nights Installing My Alarm System..

Quote:
Originally posted by RON WOODGEARD
Tomorrow night I should have it done, interfacing with the door locks is a nightmare.
A couple of things... 1) the place where you mounted the brain... that screw you shot into it is now poking out into the catch area of the cowl. You might want to pull your cowl off and put some silly-cone on the back of that screw. The cab on my truck (the one I'm trying to replace) has near-fist-sized holes that appear to have started out as something mounted way up under the dash.

And 2) door locks are easy enough. I'll ASSume you've got the 2-wire aftermarket locks. They take standard 12v + on one wire and ground on the other, and they lock; reverse the wires and they unlock. So all you need are a couple of relays to "flip" the wires for you. I believe CodeAlarm uses negative outputs on the lock and unlock wires (check the manual to make sure, it's been a loooooong time since I was in the car audio and electronics biz). I'll whip up a diagram and post it in a little bit.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 03:08 PM   #5
XXL
Seņor Member

OK, here it is...

Wire color is my own choosing so don't try to match them up with what you've got. This diagram ASSumes the CodeAlarm outputs are negative. If, by some chance they are positive, the basic diagram will still work but you've got to put the leftmost pin on both relays (85) to ground instead of B+.

Email if you have any questions.

Kenneth
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2002, 06:46 PM   #6
RON WOODGEARD

THANKS KENNETH, YOU'RE A DAY LATE.. LOL.

Well that must be what I have because it works, Sure wish I would've waited a night though, AH NOT REALLY... That's what makes this so fun and rewarding, when you figure something out you know absolutely nothing about.

It must be the way I have it cause it works. Thanks though just the same I do appreciate it.

Now tonight I'll remove all of those little round wire connectors and hardwire everything, I love those connecters to do temporary wiring, no loose ends no twisting ends together.

RON
Attached Images

Last edited by RON WOODGEARD; 08-23-2002 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:58 PM   #7
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RON WOODGEARD
THANKS KENNETH, YOU'RE A DAY LATE.. LOL.
Interestingly enough, I am also a dollar short :-)

No problem. It took about 5 minutes to whip up that diagram as I already had the relays drawn up for another diagram I created for somebody else. I'm glad to hear you got it wired alright.

I used to be a stereo/alarm installer in one of my many previous lives, so if anybody runs into similar wiring situations, shoot me a message and I'll see if I can help.

Kenneth
Old 08-23-2002, 11:15 PM   #8
oldyeller
Captain CAAAVVVMMMAAANNN!

I ended up getting mine off of ebay, cliffords are hard to get outside the dealer. They don't want anyone but certified installers/techs working on or selling their systems, it didn't even come with install diagrams. I got lucky and was given a backdoor to their website and was able to get what I needed. I went to a few shops and they just laughed at me when I asked for the documentation. One place offered to install it for me, sounded good exept for the $650 price tag just for the install. I basicly told him to pull his head out and left. I paid $325 for the alarm, and was not about to pay twice that just for the install, especially after I have a Electronics degree and am more than capable of doing it myself.

It was an adventure!!!
check out the project old yeller
oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote