The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2007, 02:10 AM   #1
sdb2515

Idle issues

Hey there. New to the forum and first posting. I have a 78 c10 350/350 with a Q-Jet, which I recently purchased. It is a nice California rust-free truck. I decided to throw on a set of chrome valve covers since the original steel ones were leaking. In doing so, I eliminated some of the vacuum to charcoal canister lines that filtered back into the carb. These vaccuum lines had been teed into the vacuum coming off the pcv valve and went into the carb bowl outlet. I capped off the outlets on the charcoal canister, and now run without a tee from the breather (there is no pcv) to the bowl.

I have checked for vacuum leaks (with carb clean spray), and didn't find any. Neverthless, the truck doesn't idle as well, and I am curious if it had anything to do with the elimination of the feeds from the charcoal canister.

I also plan on adjusting the carb. The manual says to lean it out completely (until mixture screws bottom out) and then loosen 4 turns. In past experience with Q-Jets, I had always just leaned it out until it began to stumble and then backed it off half a turn.

I appreciate any advise. Thanks.
sdb2515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:56 AM   #2
grinch4om
dang its hot

Re: Idle issues

you need a pvc and the vent pipe on the top part of the carb is for venting vaoprs to canister. If you plug this hose you might be experiencing pressure differencial in the float bowl hampering fuel delivery, open the pipe and see and instal a pcv valve on one side of the valve cover and a vent on the other

Last edited by grinch4om; 01-07-2007 at 09:57 AM.
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote