The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
steveeg1961

Sloppy Automatic Shifter on Column - Help!

Help,

As a relative newbie, I'm working through the major glitches with my '72 C10. But one thing I haven't figured out is what is wrong with the sloppy column shifter (3-speed automatic, TH350 tranny). It worked hard before, but then I cleaned up the area where the shifter arm meets the steering column with WD40, and it works very smoothly now.

But in fact, its too loose now. It readily pops down into reverse from park, and doesn't stay in any one spot. There is nothing obvious to this untrained eye as to what is wrong. The linkage from the steering column to the tranny appears to be solid.

So what should I look for? Of course, pics are always helpful...
steveeg1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:14 PM   #2
Aarons72s

Re: Sloppy Automatic Shifter on Column - Help!

How loose is the shifter arm out of the transmission? To test this chaulk the wheels and pop the linkage off and run thru the gears manually off the transmission under the truck. It should be fairly tight but if it slides real easy then it is probably the detent spring. On mine the detentes on the colum to hold it in park and drive were the only things that kept my tranny from sliding thru the gears. The problem with mine was the detent spring inside the tranny had come loose and needed to be tightened. You may try that first it is pretty easy. First you have to drain the trans fluid and remove the pan, great time to change fluid and filter, then undo the filter screws,there are to. Then you should see the long flat spring with a roller that is the detent stop spring. It is held in by 1 bolt. Mine came loose and I have heard they do also break and ware out. I tightned mine and it works great now. I hope this helps.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote