The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2007, 12:31 AM   #1
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Question who is cheapest to ship thru

i got a bad case of sticker shock today, i sold a lifted steering arm to a gentleman on the board . boxed it up and took it to UPS today, it weighed a bit over 8 pounds and cost a little over $22.00 to ship-- i was expecting maybe 10 bucks or less, needless to say, i about crapped my pants but i sold it for a set price, shipping included so it's my own fault. just curious who you guys/gals use that is more reasonable. maybe UPS had to raise prices to support their nascar venture,lol.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:38 AM   #2
project1971

Re: who is cheapest to ship thru

sounds a bit steep to me but I don't know. I try to use usps whenever i can but thats just me.
2000 Cavalier z24 (gas saver)
project1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:45 AM   #3
Aarons72s

Post office. I shipped some parts over 6 pounds to minnesota from here in oklahoma and it was like 11 bucks. Since you know the waight go to the link below and get a shipping quote.
http://www.usps.com/

They are usually real close on the site. Not like ups who keep screwing around. Plus the item is likely to get there in one pice to.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:54 AM   #4
HuggerCST

I find usps cheapest on smaller stuff, and DHL cheapest on the larger, or heavier items. DHL.com gives a pretty accurate quote too. Many times they have actually been cheaper than their quote.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com

Last edited by HuggerCST; 01-10-2007 at 12:58 AM.
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:54 AM   #5
Huskerboy2

Dhl.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:04 AM   #6
Musclerodz

Fed Ex Ground is cheaper and faster than UPS. I quit using UPS years ago when they went on strike. DHL is cheap as well, my brother has started using them. I also use USPS for small heavy items because of their flat rate boxes.

Mike
Old 01-10-2007, 03:20 AM   #7
409biscayne

Jerry
I agree , ups is getting really exspensive , maybe it's cuz were out west and everything i sell goes to the east coast , seems like . From here in Wa to FL the minimum charge is $12 . It was going to cost $70 to ship a set of bbc headers to Tn . I think DHL might be the way to go .
65 Nova Wagon Drag Car 383 t400 (Dragin-Wagon)
68 c10 cst 396 t400 a/c buckets lwb 4.11 posi (SOLD)
409biscayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:53 AM   #8
72armyswbtruck

A little trade secret about DHL, they use the USPS for most of their deliveries...
I personally got a business fedex permint and a UPS permit now when I want to ship stuff I go online to their website enter my number adn get between a 10 to 20% discount on the items that I ship. I also use a military discount when shipping thru Grayhound.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:11 AM   #9
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

For stuff with weight and or size.........DHL and Fed-Ex are the only way to. go.
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #10
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Thumbs up Re: who is cheapest to ship thru

thanks for all the replies, sounds like i better find a local dhl or fed ex shipper and grab some flat rate boxes from the post office.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:45 AM   #11
HuggerCST

We don't have a DHL within 30 miles or so, so when I ship with them, I just call 1800callDHL and have them pick it up. They always pick up the same day and only charge a couple of dollars to do it.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Old 01-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #12
cdowns

post office will provide you with with free priority mail boxes thier best deal is the flatrate boxes if it fits in the box it's a flat rate(the ones i use are 8.50) no matter what it weighs
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:48 AM   #13
jorgensensc

For veey large items (hoods, fenders, et ) I use Greyhound. I recently bought a 1956 Bel Air hood from someone in Minnesota and had it shipped to Texas. For regular Freyhound (which would take 5-7 days) it was going to be 65.00. For the item to arrive the next day it cost me 85. Needless to say I chose priority next day for an extra 20.00. The hood arrived perfect. The only thing they require is that the item be fairly clean and all sharp edges get wrapped. The storage compartment is wide, but not tall, so nothing gets stacked on fenders, hoods etc. Just thought you might like to keep them in your back pocket!
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:55 AM   #14
Joe67
67 is sold

USPS all the way as long as length + girth measurements are under 108 Inches

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member

Last edited by Joe67; 01-10-2007 at 11:56 AM.
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:06 PM   #15
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

#1 piece of advice to anyone- definitely avoid shipping at the stupid UPS stores and Fedex/Kinkos... Like shipping costs aren't high enough, these middle men have to put their margin in too. I learned that lesson the hard way a few times, and now I only ship directly with FedEx.

I personally have a FedEx account, you can create one online. It's great. I put in the weight, box size and shipping address, it spits out a label that I slap on the box and it charges my debit card the exact amount. I then drop the prelabeled/prepaid box off at FedEx Kinkos and avoid their markup! It emails me and the recipient upon shipment, delivery and any exceptions along the way.

I do use the USPS for smaller items too. I always get delivery confirmation though and signature confirmation on expensive stuff... Even with delivery confirmation, a shady buyer can claim that they never saw the item and someone else took it.
redz 1970 K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:26 PM   #16
jimmydean

If it's big, DHL. If it's small enough to fit in a Priority Box, USPS.

I ship a lot of bike parts and DHL is way cheaper on big or heavy stuff.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:21 PM   #17
Bob Moore

I think Greyhound is the cheapest for big items BUT the buyer has to pick up the item at the closest station. They will call trhe buyer when the item arrives.

I also agree with the UPS and Kinko/FedEx comment. They do upcharge.

I have not tried DHL yet will soon.

DHL does have limited delivery areas as does FedEx. My brother lives in very small town in northern CA and only gets FedEx on Tuesdays and Thursdays whereas UPS is everyday - Mon-Fri.

I do like the USPS flat rate boxes. Shipped a set of 68-71 BB motor mounts with stands and all hardware to TX for $8.50
more to follow
Bob Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #18
jlaird

I ship boxes everyday. Fedex Ground is cheaper than UPS. Most people don't think of Fedex because they usually think of them being an overnight service, but like I said, most of the time, Fedex Ground is cheaper. If you are shipping to Canada, then UPS is usually cheaper. If you sign up for an online account which is free, I think you get an additional 10% off.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #19
JTK20

We have PostNet down the street from me and they ship through UPS, DHL, and FedEx and compare prices when you drop the stuff off and let you choose who to ship through. I started going there instead of the UPS Store because FedEx Ground always ends up being the cheapest for me, which sucks because there are some really cute girls that work at the UPS Store.
JTK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #20
69TowRig

I have a DHL account and use the crap out of it. Hands down the best company to ship with.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:57 AM   #21
DANL

I think FedEx is the way to go if you want it to get there in the specified time.
DANL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:18 AM   #22
454_72_4X4

USPS flat rate boxes are the best bet for small heavy items. I just shipped a set of rearend gears in a flat rate box or $8.50. it would have cost just over 20 bucks if I would've used priority mail.

DHL reamed me bad on 2 of the 3 times I used them, (on parts I sold right here on the board). I set up an account online since there's not a local dropoff location, got my quote and setup a pickup. The parts got delivered but when I got my invoice DHL charged me for next day air! That would'nt be to bad on small parts but these were tires and wheels.
I repeatedly asked for a corrected invoice but to this day I haven't recieved one with the correct ammount.
98 Sonoma (TPI outa the Trans Am)
03 Yamaha 660 Raptor
03/04 660 Raptor
07 700 Raptor
85 Honda Odyssey
454_72_4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:09 AM   #23
HuggerCST

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454_72_4X4 View Post
USPS flat rate boxes are the best bet for small heavy items. I just shipped a set of rearend gears in a flat rate box or $8.50. it would have cost just over 20 bucks if I would've used priority mail.

DHL reamed me bad on 2 of the 3 times I used them, (on parts I sold right here on the board). I set up an account online since there's not a local dropoff location, got my quote and setup a pickup. The parts got delivered but when I got my invoice DHL charged me for next day air! That would'nt be to bad on small parts but these were tires and wheels.
I repeatedly asked for a corrected invoice but to this day I haven't recieved one with the correct ammount.
The same thing happened to me, twice! But, I called and told them that I didn't ask for it, that the driver had filled out the air-bill lable, and they sent me a corrected bill. The next time the driver came to pick up a package, I got him to leave me a stack of GROUND air bill labels, and now I always fill them out myself.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Old 01-11-2007, 07:27 PM   #24
ghackett1
68 C10 Longbed

It might be a little late in this thread to post this but I live in South Florida and purchased my 71 C10 in Illinois. I used Cars on a Truck (Carsonatruck.com) to deliver the truck to my front door. It cost me $675 which I thought was fair. No problems at all, they picked it up when they said and it was delivered on the day they promised. Took about four days.
ghackett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:09 PM   #25
jbboater

If you use FedEx Kinko's to ship via ground the extra charge can be avoided by setting up a free account online. You can then set up your shipment online, print the shipping label at home, then you just give the package to the shipping clerk. BTW FedEx Kinko's does not "mark up" the shipping. The additional fee is a counter rate. You would pay this at a FedEx location as well unless you use the method above. The charge would be identical. What I usually do when I buy something either here or E-bay is just create the shipping label online and send it via e-mail to the seller, they just need to appply the label and drop it off at the local FedEx Kinko's. You can select options to have e-mails sent to you once the package is dropped off and when it is delivered. That way you know when the new stuff is waiting for you to get home

Plans:
Disc Swap
Turbo 400
Lots of body work!!

2004 Victory Vegas Arlen Ness (My Bike)
I guess you could say this is my second childhood.
jbboater is offline   Reply With Quote