The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
Richard H.
Spanked once

More on gas tanks

The options plate on my 71 C10 says it has heavy suspension and it is a Sport truck, it does not list the two auxiliary tanks under the bed one on each side behind the cab. I have been lurking and looking here and no one has mentioned this set up. Are these factory items and can I get a sending unit for one of them so I can do away with the seat tank?
Thanks, Richard
Richard H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
WorkinLonghorn

Re: More on gas tanks

Those are common,and I'll bet they were dealer add-ons. Mine all still work but the side tanks didn't come with sending units.I've heard that some did,with a switch on the dash to switch between tanks.Someone else should elaborate on this.
If you plan to use those side tanks,you might need to have them serviced,or at least use a large in-line fuel filter.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:34 PM   #3
72 cheyenne pdx

My truck has the three tanks. There are 2 switches in my truck. One on the dash for the gas guage and 1 in the floor for switching tanks. In the future, I will be taking the one in the cab out and use the (2) 18 gallon "saddle" tanks in the the bed. I assumed that they all have sending units in them. Maybe they don't. What is the the easiest way to tell?
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
WorkinLonghorn

On mine it was easy;just one little brown wire going under the door sill which comes from the cab tank.No other wires coming out of the side tanks.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:07 AM   #5
Richard H.
Spanked once

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar View Post
On mine it was easy;just one little brown wire going under the door sill which comes from the cab tank.No other wires coming out of the side tanks.
That's interesting to know, I'll check tomorrow for any wires. The only wires I've seen so far are for the cargo and inside light. If one tank had a sender that would be sweet.

Last edited by Richard H.; 01-11-2007 at 12:09 AM. Reason: url with smiley face
Richard H. is offline   Reply With Quote