The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2007, 09:56 PM   #1
skokie

Which primer?

Here in the next week I am going to pull the fenders,cowl and hood off of the 68. Drivers side fender will have to be replaced and I have a new one on the way. I am planning to get the surface rust blasted off of the parts. I cant afford to paint the truck right now. What do I need to have put on the parts to keep them from rusting?

68 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223234
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:44 PM   #2
bucket

Re: Which primer?

i have been reading good things about picklex 20. wipes on and keeps blasted parts from rusting as long as they are not out in the rain. just scuff when ready to prime. you are not supposed to use an etching primer on top of this though. most people use an epoxy over it.
bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:27 AM   #3
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

You will have to use an epoxy sealer to keep it from rusting.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:34 AM   #4
skokie

Fred I dont know jack about paints. Can you give me some more detail? Lets stay I get the pieces sand blasted. Whats next

68 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223234
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:36 AM   #5
CMars45000

Epoxy primer is great at keeping moisture out and creating a nice barrier coat, but if you DO get any pinholes in it that go to the metal, it does NOTHING for preventing rust from forming beneath the epoxy film. I use hardly ever use expoy primer anymore. Etchprimer is where its at for preventing rust. In your case I would use an etching filler. Martin Senour has an etching filler that is cheap and uses an easy 1:1 mix ratio AND it is directly top-coatable. If you are just looking to protect it and are planning on using a good 2K primer down the road, I would just use a vinyl wash etch primer.sprays easy, protects and when it comes time to use a good primer just wipe it down with the proper cleaning agents.

Vehicles/Projects:

-1971 C10 SWB Fleetside! Gathering parts now, will begin frame-off resto soon...

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.
-Aristotle

Last edited by CMars45000; 01-11-2007 at 12:37 AM.
CMars45000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:35 AM   #6
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMars45000 View Post
Epoxy primer is great at keeping moisture out and creating a nice barrier coat, but if you DO get any pinholes in it that go to the metal, it does NOTHING for preventing rust from forming beneath the epoxy film. I use hardly ever use expoy primer anymore. Etchprimer is where its at for preventing rust. In your case I would use an etching filler. Martin Senour has an etching filler that is cheap and uses an easy 1:1 mix ratio AND it is directly top-coatable. If you are just looking to protect it and are planning on using a good 2K primer down the road, I would just use a vinyl wash etch primer.sprays easy, protects and when it comes time to use a good primer just wipe it down with the proper cleaning agents.
I've never heard of a waterproof Etch Primer.

I would say use epoxy
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
suville

Dupont has a new primer-sealer out that is similar to PPG DP-40 I prefer Dupont myself but it is $140 a gallon. My years of painting and refinishing experience has certainly confirmed you get what you pay for! Nice thing about this new Primer-sealer when youre ready to paint or rework you just respray a light bonding coat no sanding or scratch pad needed,then spray on epoxy fill primer ,block sand reseal and top coat. Dont let anyone kid you a quality paint job will be a major investment if you have it done right!
suville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:18 PM   #8
Billla
Account Suspended

Key point if you're not painting right away is that you need a primer/sealer otherwise the primer will not hold up. I'm pretty much a one-trick-pony here, not an experienced painter, but I've been using PPG DPLF mixed as a primer sealer and it's worked out great for me. It was easy to put on, has held up very well - even looks pretty decent Agreed that it ain't cheap, but neither is having all your stuff blasted again.

My CarDomain link below has some more information and links.

Head to your local paint shop, they'll help you review the options and prices and make the right choice.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:35 PM   #9
sleepyboy
'69 Step

I use velva seal from Dupont. It is strain and shoot, no mixing. Any sealing primer is what you need.
sleepyboy is offline   Reply With Quote