The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
fosheec

Need help deciding

I am in the process of buying parts to rebuild my 402 BBC. I plan to have it bored .030 to .060 over and add Edelbrock Performer RPM cam and intake, as well as a 1411 carb (750 CFM), Comp Cams stainless roller rockers, full MSD distributor/coil/ignition, and Dynomax exhaust.

What I need to decide is whether I should pony up the extra $1700 for the Performer RPM aluminum heads or stick with my stock heads (after a valve job and appropriate springs, etc.). My heads are nothing special, just what it came from the factory with that year.

I realize all these parts will already amount to a lot of money, but the heads will end up costing as much as the rest put together.

What do y'all think?

As a side note: what kind of numbers do you all think that I can expect from this set up?

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
droppedgmc
Truck Enthusiast

Re: Need help deciding

personally, i'd go with the aluminum heads. of course the performance is going to be alot better, plus they look good. just make sure you run some good gaskets for alum to cast
Old 01-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #3
fosheec

How many hp and lb-ft would I give up with the stockers?
Old 01-12-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
sleepyboy
'69 Step

I'd buy the heads too. For the price of working my old heads, it wasn't THAT much more.
sleepyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
droppedgmc
Truck Enthusiast

over stock, with a good cam, i'd say at least, at least 40+ on both hp and torgue # at the wheels. the engine should run a little cooler also with the aluminum

Last edited by droppedgmc; 01-12-2007 at 04:37 PM.
droppedgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:55 PM   #6
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

Cant comment on the heads but I'd go with an ''Air Gap" manifold rather than the performer. I have one on my 454 and really like it. Also beware if you go with a comp Cam the new ones are noisy depending on what one you get. I went with Voodoo by Lunati
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #7
Billla
Account Suspended

Key question is what HP level you're looking for. Check out the Car Craft cylinder head database...depending on the casting the stock heads aren't all that bad especially if you're after torque and driveability vs. big HP numbers. Huge runners and big flow numbers aren't really what you want for a hot street engine.

It's virtually impossible to say what you'd be giving up with the stockers until you've picked your cam - the cam really virtually everything else. Big flow heads without a matching cam give nothing, and an engine that makes 600 HP at 6000 RPM in a daily driver isn't going to be much fun either :/

Last edited by Billla; 01-12-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:10 PM   #8
68CHEBY

The difference between the stock heads and a good set of aluminum aftermarket heads should be the difference between night and day as far as horsepower goes, but it really depends on what you are after. As far as camshafts go I would call Comp Cams and go over your complete application and see what they recommend. As far as cam manufacturer goes I had really good luck with all of them, if you call 2 or 3 different companies with your combination I bet the cam specs will not be that different between any of them. As far as cam noise or durability goes I wouldn't be scared of any of them. Last time I heard there are only about three cam blank manufacturers in the world and all of the cam companies buy there blanks from one or the other and do thier own lobe grind on it. just my 2 cents. pretty much none of them cast their own cam cores, they are bought from a vendor and then ground to cam size specs.
68CHEBY is offline   Reply With Quote