The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
mcssls

Dual tanks

I have dual tanks on a 76 stepside 4x4. When I swith the factory switch the guage is all that changes, there's no sound or hit that it will try to switch. I'm sure I need a new selector valve. Strange part is there's a switch on the door side of the column that someone added. When I hit it it sounds like a dry fuel pump, under the truck whatever this is looks stock. Looks too big for what I think of as an electric pump. Any ideas? Is it original? If so what is it?
mcssls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
jpoutlaw

Re: Dual tanks

My '77 has the switch on the drivers side down low. It's just a toggle switch but it's original. My gauge changes, no sounds 'cause there's only one fuel pump up front pulling the fuel.

I doubt it's original but someone may have tried another fuel pump at one time. Maybe to help prime the other??? Don't know 100%.

1977 GMC Sierra Grande (350)
2004 Jeep Wrangler (4.0)
jpoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
blink32

The actual switching mechanism is very small and a bit back from the drivers seat so I wouldn't expect to hear any audible switching in the first place. I've never heard any noise on any of the 3 I've owned with dual tanks. If the gauge readings change then its most likely operating normally.

For the other switch, take a picture and post it? Would help seeing it.
blink32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:04 PM   #4
mcssls

yeah, I'll have to take a pic tomorrow if I'm feeling human again, right now am feeling pretty ford like.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:07 PM   #5
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcssls View Post
... Strange part is there's a switch on the door side of the column that someone added. When I hit it ...
I thought you were leading up to a 'Stephen Wright'-like joke:
“I have a switch in my apartment that doesn't do anything. Every once in a while I turn it on and off. On and off. On and off. One day I got a call from a woman in France who said "Cut it out!"”

I know the '81 and up have a different selector valve, but I can hear the operation of the solenoid inside the selector valve once I hit the switch. The selector valve changes both the fuel sending unit signal (to the gauge) and fuel pickup between the two tanks. ... interesting that you have another switch.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:31 AM   #6
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Sounds like what happened to mine. Look for a pink wire at the fuse box that has come loose. This is a power wire to the factory switch that powers it. You're gauge will still move but it won't power the valve.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:33 PM   #7
mcssls

got the flu 5 days ago, haven't done anymore than stand on the porch and look at the truck. Maybe I'll get closer this weekend.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:44 PM   #8
wklink

My 79 GMC makes no noise when it switches tanks. I know it works because I haven't run out of gas yet