The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2002, 05:00 PM   #1
nosto
Flamin' Bass

Airbag: tank leak

Truck project + digital camera = lots of time on this board!!!!

Earlier today I was testing my multiport tank. I figured that before I started attaching all the plumbing, I'd make sure the tank was OK. I plugged most of the 8 holes; only used 1 for the Schroeder valve (I used my shop air compressor as the air source), 1 for the pressure gauge and one for a single fill valve.

I filled the tank to 80#. Sprayed all threaded pieces with diluted soap and water and did not see any air bubbles. Waited about 30 minutes and the pressure was down to 75#.

Anybody have advice on how to track down the leak?

BTW: Just for fun, I connected one rear bag line to the valve and activated it. Nearly threw the tank off the frame and the one side really jumped. Of course, when the bed is on, it might be a little slower....
Attached Images

Pics : http://community.webshots.com/user/nosto53

1972 Triumph TR6 - full resto, now with a Toyota 5-speed
1975 F**D F-100 - rusty, but reliable
1982 HD XLH-1000
1967 C-10, shortstep, 350/M21 4spd, nitrogen tank fills fast bags on 4 corners, Toyo 255/45X20s on American Eagle 221 20X8s, shaved locks and handles, antenna, fuel filler, tiny C-notch, rear fuel tank, long headers, Edelbrock, worn 600 Holley, Checkmate flush hard cover, rear pan, custom LED taillights - painted it, too! But don't like it so I'm gonna do it again!!
nosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 05:32 PM   #2
nosto
Flamin' Bass

Er, never mind.

I remembered the old 'stick the innertube in the bucket of water and watch for bubbles', trick. So I put the whole tank a full bath tub. That sure worked; found three of the plugs bubbling away.

Pics : http://community.webshots.com/user/nosto53

1972 Triumph TR6 - full resto, now with a Toyota 5-speed
1975 F**D F-100 - rusty, but reliable
1982 HD XLH-1000
1967 C-10, shortstep, 350/M21 4spd, nitrogen tank fills fast bags on 4 corners, Toyo 255/45X20s on American Eagle 221 20X8s, shaved locks and handles, antenna, fuel filler, tiny C-notch, rear fuel tank, long headers, Edelbrock, worn 600 Holley, Checkmate flush hard cover, rear pan, custom LED taillights - painted it, too! But don't like it so I'm gonna do it again!!
nosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 08:18 PM   #3
XXL
Seņor Member

If you had no bubbles, then you probably don't have a leak. Remember, air is just a bunch of gasses... and gasses change pressure with temperature (Boyle's Law, or maybe that was Charles' Law... I always felt like one ripped off the other ). So, when you pumped the air in there, it got hot and expanded. After it sat there for a minute, it cooled down, and contracted... thus, you had less air pressure than when you started... same amount of air molecules, they were just closer together.

And now back to Bill Nye, the Science Guy...

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 09:01 PM   #4
jay-dawg
chevelito

damn...I knew I shouldve paid attention more in science class....j/k I got a bio degree so tons of that stuff in my brain.

jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote