The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2007, 03:49 PM   #1
Daves72'GMC

Smile Hei coil ?

I picked my truck up from the mechanic after my truck was restored and the new coil was bad in the gm Hei I had installed ,so the mechanic put a new coil in ,then I drove my truck home and tried to start it two days later . The truck will turn over and fuel is getting to the plugs,What else could I check?If the coil is bad again What would cause a coil in a gm hei to keep going bad? Thanks guys
Daves72'GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:00 PM   #2
hvychve
To The Levy

Re: Hei coil ?

Hey Dave, I can relate to parts failure, but not always is it due to quality, I would hope you are using a good brande, delco or ???? what about the ground strap that goes on the coil and protrudes through the cap? is it there? if not get one!! leaving the key on , shouldnt cause this, due to electronic , on the point type dist. if the points were closed and the key left on, that would cook a coil. good luck
hvychve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
kevenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves72'GMC View Post
I picked my truck up from the mechanic after my truck was restored and the new coil was bad in the gm Hei I had installed ,so the mechanic put a new coil in ,then I drove my truck home and tried to start it two days later . The truck will turn over and fuel is getting to the plugs,What else could I check?If the coil is bad again What would cause a coil in a gm hei to keep going bad? Thanks guys
There's a metal ground strap that goes under the coil and extends down thru where the wires plug into the cap. If that strap is missing it will run usually but either the coil or the control module will fail really quickly. More often than not the module will fail rather than the coil if it doesn't have a good ground. Also the rotor could have burnt thru, so check to see if the plastic part of the rotor shows any signs, Definitley make sure that ground strap is there.

if it's gone Napa has the ground strap, part number RR204
kevenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:32 PM   #4
ClassicRedneck05

only thing i would try is pull the ignirtion module out and take it to get it tested it may be bad and they are cheap
ClassicRedneck05 is offline   Reply With Quote