The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #1
ClassicRedneck05

Its a SAD thing but i might have 2

Ok so i have been thinkin i might have to end up selling my 72 it hurts me to even say it or think it but i think i am getting into something i cant afford since its my only vehicle so if something breaks i HAVE to fix it and sometimes i dont have the money it has cost me many jobs im not to sure what to do just yet
ClassicRedneck05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
1969K10

Re: Its a SAD thing but i might have 2

I'd hate to see you sell it! can you pick up a cheapo beater to drive on the days your truck is down? or a cheap little motorcycle?
you'll never forget you sold it!!!

past horses in the stable
72 C10-short step (97-02), 68 C10-long fleet (06-12)
1969K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
kyull67

Don't sell it! Plus, if something does break on an old vehicle it's twice as easy to fix than on a new one.
kyull67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
ClassicRedneck05

Verry true but i can barly afford this truck i cant hold a job because of it i have bout $10 left now so i just dont have a clue on what to do and i agree its much easier to fix as well
Old 01-17-2007, 07:11 PM   #5
1969k10stepside

1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
Purduegmc

I went through the same thing. Just try to stick it out and do what you can. If you sell the truck you will miss it.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:17 PM   #7
kevenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicRedneck05 View Post
Verry true but i can barly afford this truck i cant hold a job because of it i have bout $10 left now so i just dont have a clue on what to do and i agree its much easier to fix as well
That's a nice looking truck and if you sell it you'll regret it. I have a '72 that I've had since I was 17 (I'm 43 now) and I'm SO GLAD I never got rid of it back when it was just another used truck.

You say you can barely afford this truck but I'm not sure what that means; If you are making payments on the truck perhaps you can consolidate and get a new loan that will give you enough to buy a beater/transportation car also (maybe something that gets good fuel economy) so you can just drive your truck on weekends and for pleasure. If you mean you can barely afford it because you're always fixing it up, then I'd say put aside the modifications and improvements for a while and only do what is necessary to keep her on the road, and save your money up for a transportation car.

Whatevery your situation, I hope you find a way to keep your truck.
kevenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:03 PM   #8
QKENUF4U

im in the same shoes. mines already on ebay and yes i will miss it but its not practical so its gonna go. atleast i can say i "DID" own a pro-street 71 chevy at one time
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:02 AM   #9
kevenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by QKENUF4U View Post
im in the same shoes. mines already on ebay and yes i will miss it but its not practical so its gonna go. atleast i can say i "DID" own a pro-street 71 chevy at one time
I'm tellin' you guys - - I have had several really cool vehicles over the years that I can say "I used to own" but I'd much rather be saying "hey check out what I got in the garage......" The 1966 Corvair Turbo (56,000 original miles) is the one I most regret selling..... if I only had that car now.

My '72 GMC is the one vehicle that I just never got rid of; how cool is it that at age 43 I still have the truck I drove to High School?

DON'T SELL YOUR TRUCKS! You'll regret it - - get a second job for a while if you have to.......
kevenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:32 AM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

no matter what you drive, you'll have to fix it if it breaks
a commen comment in this situation is "I can't afford to run 2 cars"... this one won't cost you a single penny if you pull the insurance and park it in the garage and drive some POS beater.
lots of gas is still cheaper than a payments... and the insurance that goes hand in hand with payments.

Once in a while something will break that'll keep the truck off the road for a few days, however, a cheap beater 92 civic would be the same way, auto zone don't stock everything. Try to keep some things on hand... I always have a set of plug wires, plugs, cap and rotor on hand... yeah, they are used, but they are all good. I also keep a dist laying around, and a few other small BS parts (mainly cuz the caddy parts are a bit harder to come by) Keep a good idea in your head where to find what parts in the junk yards... I try to go once a month, even if I'm broke... at least I'll have a good idea as to what's avalible, and where.

Selling your truck won't be the end of the world, but, if and when you get to do it again, it'll cost twice as much just to get your foot in the door with the prices of classics going up the way they are, and you'll have to start all over again doing it the way you want.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:56 AM   #11
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

I couldn't have said it better ^.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:00 AM   #12
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Ok my 2 cents i have a lot of these old trucks and if you do the maintaice on them they will last I feel for some of those people out there that have a payment for a car or truck that is not worth the payment there paying

Nowi have done some
stupid things latley 5 years ago i sold all 4 of my camaros 67-68-69-70 Now i've done that cus they where in my fathers yard and we Had code Enfocement on us

yes we could of moved then or covered them up but the market was not in to hot rod cars at the lime even housing prices where up at the time and 32 years after i sold them for chump change the market blow up

so be for you think about selling this truck remmber what your giving up

1 your know this truck you know where its been you know know one been beating on it

2 you know what has been done to the eng and the trans and the rear end

3 and you know every sound it makes and knows when somthing dose not feel right i've own my 1965 3/4 ton ever sence my father gave it to me

and i've used the hell out of it just this last year i put 1000.00 worth of 10 plyradil tires on this truck there designed for the 35 foot Pace arrow motor homes that fleetwood put out in the 1990s there 235/85/16 tire

they have never let me down yes i ran over tons of stuff in the scrap yard but able to make it home safe and have it fixed

always get road hazerd on your tires it pays in the long run

but to end a new truck or a beater well all i can say when i bought me a 1991 honda accord it cost me more money to fix that thing then it would of costed me to build my 1967 3 door 1965 3/4 ton truck did

Longhorn is right what you pay now will last a long time you go buy one of these new cars or trucks it will leave you on the side of the road and hope you have enough money for triple AAA
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:15 AM   #13
MisterMan
Account Suspended

sell it!!!!! the gas milage plus a 350 in that heavy of a truck.... money pit to make it even slightly worthy to beat a stock hyundai!!!
MisterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:19 AM   #14
GREASEMONKEY72

Quote:
Originally Posted by QKENUF4U View Post

i thought that was your truck i saw on ebay the lastnight

and i dont think i could say it any better than longhorn man or stsalvage did if you sell it youll be paying more overhall on a new car than on your truck now and me personally i love having my truck and i wouldnt give it up for a new car anyday i mean i ride in my friends cars or my brother truck or anything else and me i just love the feeling when i get in my truck and i actually hear the door close and to hear it start up and run and to hear the exhaust while im driving down the road and i mean i could go on more and what you need to do is sit and think about everything that you love about your old truck and relize you wont have any of that with any new car you get and not to mention that as pricey as your truck might be now anything you get will the same if not more and then youll just be SOL but thats enough rambling

-steven

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:23 AM   #15
ghetto_superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMan View Post
sell it!!!!! the gas milage plus a 350 in that heavy of a truck.... money pit to make it even slightly worthy to beat a stock hyundai!!!
thats an un-american thing to say to a guy in a crisis.

i definitely agree with longhorn man. nuff said.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:28 AM   #16
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Quote:
WHO ARE YOU and what have you done with MisterMan? Hyundai? I would rather ride a BIGWHEEL!

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:10 AM   #17
ClassicRedneck05

Quote:
lol im beatin more than haundis or w/e lol im beatin mustang cobras corvettes i dont have a LOT into it but i have enough to make me proud and i would walk before owning a tuner im not even a ford man but i would take one over a tuner i will always be an america driver and thanks for all the postings guys im going to try and tuff it out this has been a dream truck for me i also didnt know what i was getting myself into but if i can find some local guys who wouldnt mind linding a hand just with working on somethings that would be great because i suffered a bad injury at work (firefighter) and cant really do a whole lot now but i know there arnt many people in my area with these trucks
Old 01-18-2007, 10:11 AM   #18
bobthecop

If the truck is paid for, go buy a cheap used car, you have to have transportation anyway. Then park the truck, lower the insurance to comp only, since you won't be driving it for awhile, and drive the little car. You can spend a lot on gas to make up for a payment, plus gas. This is the time to fix the truck, since it doesn't need to be driven. I used this excuse to tear mine apart.
1969 c10 parts truck
1969 C-10 ( my sons)
1992 Silverado 4X4 (now the boys truck)(now mine again)
2002 Tarus (my wife loves that car)

Last edited by bobthecop; 01-18-2007 at 10:12 AM.
bobthecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:35 AM   #19
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

what types of things keep breaking down on the truck? Brakes? Engine Problems??? needs a good tune up??? Most everything can be a "simple fix" with some used parts etc.

I know you stated that you have an injury that prevents you from doing a lot of work, but I'm sure there is a board member willing to lend a hand. I would be if I was close to you.
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:48 AM   #20
BACKYARD88
On the fast track to nowhere..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicRedneck05 View Post
lol im beatin more than haundis or w/e lol im beatin mustang cobras corvettes i dont have a LOT into it but i have enough to make me proud and i would walk before owning a tuner im not even a ford man but i would take one over a tuner i will always be an america driver and thanks for all the postings guys im going to try and tuff it out this has been a dream truck for me i also didnt know what i was getting myself into but if i can find some local guys who wouldnt mind linding a hand just with working on somethings that would be great because i suffered a bad injury at work (firefighter) and cant really do a whole lot now but i know there arnt many people in my area with these trucks
I'm just a few miles north of Humble. If you need a used mechanical part or something to get you by my truck is torn completely apart and most of it isn't going back on.And if you need a hand with something just holler! We're all one big family here right .

Norwood, Houston, Cecilia, Jackson, Monroe and counting
BACKYARD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:20 AM   #21
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKYARD88 View Post
I'm just a few miles north of Humble. If you need a used mechanical part or something to get you by my truck is torn completely apart and most of it isn't going back on.And if you need a hand with something just holler! We're all one big family here right .
I spoke a minute too soon.
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:28 AM   #22
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

PLEASE don’t ever sell it. I have sold numerous vehicles that I regretted selling as soon as I saw them drive off. Classic Vette, sportbikes, 68 truck, 4x4’s…you name it. Most of them were daily drivers that I thought I HAD to get rid of. I was sick as soon as I handed the keys to the new owner and the feeling has just gotten worse with time. Find someway to keep it! My bother is a firefighter with about a 1.5 hour commute to work. He has a couple of buddies nearby that work the same shift, they ride together a bunch. See if you can car pool or at least have a backup ride now and then. I know it’s hard to do but I promise the regret of selling something you love that much is FAR worse than the hardships that comes along with owning it!

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:28 AM   #23
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

I looked at your myspace page at looks like you've got a good job and i'm sure with your job you have lots of close connections with the people you work with. I bet money that you could call one of the guys you work with and they'd pick you up in a heart beat. I'm pretty much in a similar situation. I drive a 2004 Mazda and I have my Blazer. Everyone tells me to sell the Blazer since it just sits there (hopefully not for long) and I always get really pissed off when they even suggest it. Mine is paid for so it doesn't cost me a thing to have but the other truck isn't and I sometimes really struggle to get my payment in but until I get my Blazer running I can't do anything about it. Basically i'm saying to just keep the truck, you'll be happy you did. Anyways when was the last time you ever heard of a civic owner or the owner of any "normal" car getting a thumbs up while cruising down the highway??? NEVER!!!! I don't know where humble is but if I ever come by i'll spin some wrenches with you.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #24
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
PLEASE don’t ever sell it. I have sold numerous vehicles that I regretted selling as soon as I saw them drive off. Classic Vette, sportbikes, 68 truck, 4x4’s…you name it. Most of them were daily drivers that I thought I HAD to get rid of. I was sick as soon as I handed the keys to the new owner and the feeling has just gotten worse with time. Find someway to keep it! My bother is a firefighter with about a 1.5 hour commute to work. He has a couple of buddies nearby that work the same shift, they ride together a bunch. See if you can car pool or at least have a backup ride now and then. I know it’s hard to do but I promise the regret of selling something you love that much is FAR worse than the hardships that comes along with owning it!
We must of typing at the same damn time.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:27 PM   #25
ClassicRedneck05

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKYARD88 View Post
well whats gets me is all of the sudden my lights and everything is getting to much power and i have replaced the voltage regulater numorus times but this time it blew out my headlights also i need to get inspected but the right front parking lenses got busted out and the fixture was rotted out so it cant evenhold a bulb and now since this cold weather my right blinker works my windshield wiper switch is goin bad i think cause sometimes they dont want to turn off and also my horn isnt workung and last ast 2 but not the least my steering my motormounts and finaly the AC hasnt been fully wired so i cant even use the heater or anything :-\