The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2007, 01:44 AM   #1
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

Need help lining up fender

I'm just getting back to working on the 55 and lining up the passanger fender is driving me crazy. These are not the original fenders, they are from a 57 but they should line properly, right?

I had to make some brackets on the cab to bolt the fender on since they were missing from when I got the cab.

Please take a look at the pictures and help me out with this one. When I try pushing the front of the fender to the core support the area where the fender is bolted to the cab moves and the gap between the fender and the cab opens up.

The drivers side fits perfectly without applying force.
Attached Images

Tri5Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:49 AM   #2
55ChevyPU

Re: Need help lining up fender

okay so right now the where the gravel guard meets the fender there is a huge gap. this is rotating the fender outwards making the fender not being able to relax because there is so much tension on it. Once you get that place to meet then the tension should be less and you can then move the passenger side fender horizontally instead of just forcing it into place . My suggestion for getting the grill to fit is take a 4x4 piece of wood and set it under the fender under where the grill sits then take a rubber mallet or another 4x4 and try to make that space a bit bigger so the grill can fit in there. I had the same problem and onec I got the grill in everything fit much better.

Last edited by 55ChevyPU; 01-18-2007 at 05:59 AM.
55ChevyPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
CAL 58 GMC

I would have to give a lot of thanks to 55ChevyPu on some great advice on getting my grill in. They are a pain in the a** to get in. I got all of the bolts in on both side before I tighten anything up and then let the fenders sandwich the grill as you tighten them.
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
55ChevyPU

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL 58 GMC View Post
I would have to give a lot of thanks to 55ChevyPu on some great advice on getting my grill in. They are a pain in the a** to get in. I got all of the bolts in on both side before I tighten anything up and then let the fenders sandwich the grill as you tighten them.
im happy when I can help
55ChevyPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #5
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55ChevyPU View Post
okay so right now the where the gravel guard meets the fender there is a huge gap. this is rotating the fender outwards making the fender not being able to relax because there is so much tension on it. Once you get that place to meet then the tension should be less and you can then move the passenger side fender horizontally instead of just forcing it into place . My suggestion for getting the grill to fit is take a 4x4 piece of wood and set it under the fender under where the grill sits then take a rubber mallet or another 4x4 and try to make that space a bit bigger so the grill can fit in there. I had the same problem and onec I got the grill in everything fit much better.
Thanks for replying but I don't quite understand. Take the 4x4 and put it under the fender and not behind the little pocket? then get another piece and beat the pocket out or into submission! hehehe, Then the fender will line up with the grill but what about lining up the fender at the top by the door.

I'll let you know how it comes out in about 1/2 hour.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:31 AM   #6
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

Got the front lined up, but....

There is still a big gap by the fender/cab bracket, it now appears that the core support bracket might be welded 1" too long, I noticed that there is a 1" gap at between the hood and the cab on the passanger side once the hood is closed.

Do I need to bolt the cab to the frame in order to get everything lined up? I have the bolts in the cab/frame but not tightened down.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #7
CAL 58 GMC

Yes, you should have the cab bolted to the frame. If your cab is just the smallest amout off, the rest will not line up right. When I installed my grill I had the fenders still bolted to the cab and then bolted the front.

Last edited by CAL 58 GMC; 01-19-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:22 AM   #8
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

I found the problem...

I took the bolts out of the radiator core support brackets and was able to move the back of the fender into the correct position, which made the core support rise about a 1", the support and the support bracket is still lined up, just the support is raised up, I think that I might have to do some shimming between the core support and the bracket, I might be off by a 1/2". So I'll measure and then shim then bolts it up but will the back of the fender move out of position once that is done?
Old 01-20-2007, 10:49 AM   #9
CAL 58 GMC

Re: I found the problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri5Nerd View Post
I took the bolts out of the radiator core support brackets and was able to move the back of the fender into the correct position, which made the core support rise about a 1", the support and the support bracket is still lined up, just the support is raised up, I think that I might have to do some shimming between the core support and the bracket, I might be off by a 1/2". So I'll measure and then shim then bolts it up but will the back of the fender move out of position once that is done?
There is a rubber mount the goes between the core support and the frame rail and is about 1/2 thick. If that's missing then the core support would be to low.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:37 PM   #10
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

Thanks for the help Cal58, I'm now cleaning up the doors, they look to be in good shape, no rust on the bottom!

Last edited by Tri5Nerd; 01-22-2007 at 11:38 PM.