The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2002, 11:40 AM   #1
Paul Clark

Mirrors

Could someone please tell me the location of the stock replacement side mirrors on a 72? All (several) previous holes have been filled and I'm not sure where to drill new ones. The mirrors have the backing plate that goes in the door.
Kinda fun getting to put everything back together.
Thanks
Paul Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 04:23 PM   #2
mt Al

Mine are exactly 6.5" from the front edge of the door, centered top to bottom on the flat strip where they screw in.

I just did the same thing on my '72 suburban. Took the measurements off of the pickup, placed the mirror on the door, marked the location of the holes, CAREFULLY used a punch to pre-dent the location, drilled a small hole, drilled a larger hole, took the door panel off and worked like a rented mule to try to get the back plate to line up and work.

Perhaps its due to my mental challenges, but I couldn't get the screws in the plate and I think its because of the huge lumps of weld-crap/wires, etc. that were left from filling the holes.

So.....quickly giving up, I bought some stainless machine screws with the exact same heads as the ones in the kit, some fender washers and nylon/lock nut things (with the plastic inside) and worked even harder (wife holding the screw in on the outside, me reaching through the hole with the tiny nut/washer duct taped to the socket, horrifying) getting everything in place. If you do it my way (not recommended) there's a little hole near the top of the door panel that will let you get the nut/washer on the front-most mirror screw.

You're motivating me to finish the job and put the passenger side mirror on. Have fun, hopefully someone smart will give you (and me) the proper method of getting the plate on properly.
'71 GMC 2wd 1/2T 402 nice!
'72 Chev 2wd 1/2T 396
'72 GMC 3/4T 4x4 2500 Super Custom suburban.

Bozeman, Montana
mt Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:05 AM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

We install the mirrors for the 71-72 centered on the flat strip, but we make the left side 7" from the edge and the right side 8" from the door edge. On the right side if you get too far forward the vent window frame can interfere with your vision.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 04:39 PM   #4
Paul Clark

Thanks Jim. That's where they'll go.
Al - Think I know why the plates gave you trouble. The holes in the plates aren't big enough for the screws they give you. Had to drill mine out to 11/64ths. The bastards!
Old 09-02-2002, 07:39 PM   #5
chewed 71'er

Yes, that's a dirty trick! Sounds like the job was miserable to begin with, let alone sending the wrong hardware. What a pain in the @ss.
chewed 71'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 08:09 PM   #6
Paul Clark

Side mirror install (factory replacement)
Mark the door where you want the front of the mirror to be.
Have a friend hold the mirror there with_a rag wrapped around the base so you don't scratch your paint.
Sit in the driver's seat and have him/her adjust the mirror until it' where you want it to be. Then don't move it.
Drill the holes in the backing plates out with an 11/64ths bit. Thread the screws in and out a few times to make sure they don't catch.
Glue the rubber insulation to the back of the mirrors so it won't slip during install. I used the same stuff that you use for the door weatherstripping. It won't scratch your paint this way.
Hold the mirror where you want it and drill the front hole into the mirror hole and door with the 11/64ths bit.
Install the front screw. Tighten, but not too much. When it is tight enough to hold, tip the rear of the mirror until it is where you want it.
Drill again through the bottom hole on the rear of the mirror. Install the screw.
Mark the top rear hole with a pencil or maybe some
white-out.
Remove the mirror and drill the rear top hole, trying to angle it down a bit.
Have a friend hold the backing plate in the door while you insert the front screw. Don't over-tighten.
Same with the bottom rear screw.
Use a phillips screw driver that has the right angle bends in it to install the top rear screw.
Tighten them up.
You are now mirrored.