The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

Can I reach 275HP & 340lb/ft with this setup?

My goal is to get more out of the motor by applying a balanced approach. I have trouble getting into the internals of this particular 350 because it doesn't leak, has great compression and runs good.

This is my hauler, and she is a bit of a dog when loaded down. This is what it has:

- Doug Thorley tri-y's and y-pipe
- Walker high flow cat
- Flowmaster 40 series Delta flow
- K&N drop in
- 4.56's (with 37" tires) pretty much wash
- All else stock

This is what I want to add:

- Edelbrock 3704 TBI intake
- 1.6 roller tipped rockers (self aligning, narrow) $80/set *
- Xefi Bored out throttle body 46mm(decided to scrap Holley TBI)
- AFPR (Adj Fuel Pressure Regulator)
- Injector pod riser (just because it comes with throttle body)
- MSD 6A, 8.5mm wires and blaster coil

* Given the truck's stock cam 179/194 (int/exh) duration and lift .350/.384 with the 1.5 rockers, I will get .384/.410 lift with the 1.6 rockers. The valves will also open and close slightly earlier and later as a result even though I don't think it will have an impact on actual duration. I also don't think I will need to change valve springs?

So, I am increasing airflow INTO the heads with the K&N and throttle body, allowing more air and fuel into the heads with the taller rockers, getting more complete burn with the MSD ignition, and more efficiently expelling the exhaust through the headers and custom exhaust. To top it off, I will be able to tune fuel pressure and get a tuned chip to get the fuel delivery just right. This is all without ever pulling a cam or head off.

Say I started with 235 HP / 300 LB/FT torque, I would be happy if these things altogether gave me an extra 40 HP and 40 LB/FT torque with still good drivability.

Is this a pipe dream here or do you think I will reach my goal with success with this setup?
redz 1970 K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
manimal

Re: Can I reach 275HP & 340lb/ft with this setup?

I havent seen a 'stock' cam that small. If i'm not mistaken the stock cam is
.390i-.410e. Yes you can reach your goals but they will be flywheel hp numbers. Go to the engine forum and ask Bill aka Billa to do a desk top dyno. He is pretty good at it and it will give you an idea of what you're doing.

-Lance
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

I was going off of TBI chips for the cam specs... Could definitely be wrong. Might have been the 5.0L cam I was looking at... It didn't specify.

EDIT: You are dead on for the stock cam Specs... .390i .410e Duration 194i/202e

So, with the 1.6 rockers, the total lift will be .416i and .437e.

Hmmm, that might be pushing it for the stock valve springs...

Last edited by redz 1970 K5; 01-22-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:16 AM   #4
manimal

What heads are you using? you can upgrade to Z-28 springs and you'll be just fine with that set up.
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:03 AM   #5
hiway
Mad Scientist

Unless your motor is dead tired I figure your springs will be fine. The Z springs are a cheap and easy upgrade though. Make sure you have plenty of slot in your heads for the pushrods when the rockers are changed. Some don't. I think with your changes, the computer reprogramming will be the key. The big "killa" of your power is your tires....the gears help but those suckers also weigh a ton! Compu cam from Crane would be my next upgrade.

86 1/2ton on tons! sbc/465/208/D60/14/35's
81 Postal....with 468 bbc
97 Merc Marq comuter
07 Suburban
02 Danger Ranger
hiway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:04 PM   #6
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiway View Post
Unless your motor is dead tired I figure your springs will be fine. The Z springs are a cheap and easy upgrade though. Make sure you have plenty of slot in your heads for the pushrods when the rockers are changed. Some don't. I think with your changes, the computer reprogramming will be the key. The big "killa" of your power is your tires....the gears help but those suckers also weigh a ton! Compu cam from Crane would be my next upgrade.
Great input, thanks!

I agree on the computer tuning... I am excited to get into that whole arena.

I have decided on the Dynamic EFI setup. How cool is their What's up display? This is a real time app that pulls all of the computer info very quickly, and dumps it into this cool GUI. Provisions for an IAT sensor, electric fan on/off signaling, and more. I am so impressed with this thing. You should read about what the guys do with this at thirdgen.org... It is honestly like reading another language.

Last edited by redz 1970 K5; 01-23-2007 at 12:20 PM.